“Rooms smelled DISGUSTING” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #34 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Rooms smelled DISGUSTING”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2010

Booked for $32/night on priceline. Had to check 4 rooms before finding one that didn't reek. All the rooms smelled like the maids had used a keg of carpet powder in each room. Had to go to sleep with a t-shirt over my face to keep from breathing that crap. Also found most of the towels to be dirty: hair, dirt, or stains. Everything is old and run down. Definitely NOT a "3 star" as listed on priceline. I think they only have that rating due to the fact that they offer "room service" consisting of pizza only. Finally had too much and checked out 5 days early, and received a refund through priceline for the remaining days.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2010

I have stayed at the hotel on several occasions....If you use Priceline "Name Your Own Price" it seems to be the default Hotel in Bloomington...I stayed here for $35 a night as well as $40 a night on different stays...that being said...

The hotel is a no frills hotel....Is it a 3 star hotel?....No...it is probably more of a 2 to 2.5 star hotel....The lobby was small but adequate...they do keep a limited staff on hand...they were proficient at getting you checked in..I haven't required any other services from the front desk so I really have no complaints with the staff...

There is a restaurant adjacent with a small bar....The bar and restaurant are dated...but not so bad that it turns your head..It just appears they haven't remodeled in a long time....There is a nice computer center and there is free internet throughout the building..The swimming pool is dated....they recently painted it...but it still shows it age...I am a business traveler so I wasn't as concerned about the pool as I was with the room...

The room like the rest of the hotel was dated....with dated furniture...the interior design reflected an era of the past...or maybe just a poor interior designer's vision 20+ years ago...the orange/brown carpet in the hallway and the green carpet in the rooms is absolutely hideous...Again...poor taste or bad designing?. As long as the questionable designing didn't impact my night stay...it really didn't matter to me...plus I had paid a low enough price that it made up for the shortcomings of this hotel....at $35-$40 night you can't expect Taj Mahal..If I paid full price I would have been upset with this place since I do not consider it a 3 star hotel..

The positive part is they have great beds...yes....very comfortable beds....The beds are the best part of the hotel....The hotel is far enough off the highway on a frontage road so the road noise wasn't bad...It is a very secure place....and I didn't feel any safety concerns...that included my car in the parking lot and my belongings in my room...

The negative part is the food.....I ordered pizza from room service...absolutely disgusting...I didn't try any other food as it appeared not too many people were eating at the restaraunt so I was concerned about the turnover and freshness of the food. And after eating the pizza....I would recommend getting pizza coupons from Papa Johns, Dominos, etc at the front desk...and yes they have coupons for those places...maybe indicating the staff's feeling towards the food?

I booked with Priceline and not sure if the discount I received meant I would be getting discount ammenities...I stayed a week and I was only given 1 bar of soap...and 1 shampoo during this time...I thought it was strange....Fortunately, I pack my own shampoo so I didn't need to go to the front desk for any additional ammenities...but I thought this place is really frugal (like me) ..or is it losing money so they had to cut back on everything....strange nonetheless..

In conclusion.....if you want a hotel that is a no frills bargain...close to everything in the Twin Cities....and you plan on using it only for sleeping....it is not bad....if you think this is going to be the Sandals Resort.....you will be sadly disappointed..

It seemed that a lot of the clients were thrifty, (overheard conversations and actually conversations I had)....probably using Priceline, Hotwire...etc...and it looks like they contract to airline employees...Delta airline attendants/pilots were in large numbers....and a lot of seminars....and weddings do take place here....Again...I wouldn't recommend it for a romantic getaway...but....if you need to crash and you get it at a discount price...It is certainly better than a roadside hotel....Extended Stay...or Motel 6. And you stay with a lot better guests...

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
North Dakota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2010

Let me preface this by saying I am pretty easy to please. As long as a hotel is clean, I'm good. I usually go to places based on what I'm going to be out doing, not where I'm sleeping.
We booked this hotel based on it's great price for a weekend in Minneapolis. We were going for a weekend of shopping capped off by a Vikings game. I had emailed the hotel as soon as I booked and requested a double room, as there were 2 couples. We arrived about 8pm to find, first of all, that in the 22 below degree weather, the heat had gone out in all public areas. The poor front desk girl was in a hat, scarf, and mittens. We stood in line for about 15 minutes to check in, only to find that all double rooms had been booked. She apologized, saying room types couldn't be guaranteed, even when that is what was booked. Her only option was to offer us a roll-away cot. ?!?!?!?! I explained again that there were 4 of us. She just shrugged. So I asked if they had any suites we could upgrade to - yes, we could, for $40, and then a double room would be available for our second night's stay. Okay, fine, so we did that. We get to the room - on the elevator that only allows 5 people at a time- to find it decorated in old, worn-out Brady Bunch furniture. The king bed was comfortable, but the pull-out sofa bed was hideous. There were stains on the blankets and the frame of the bed was at approximately a 45 degree angle. So after a terrible night, we packed up, brought everything downstairs to the still-frigid lobby, and were assured our double room would be waiting when we got back.
Upon returning, oops, sorry, the morning girl didn't tell them we needed a new room. So back up to the same suite from the night before. Even though we had thrown the dirty blankets in the corner, they were folded up and put right back in the closet.
There was a gentleman checking out early that evening because he was so disgusted with the hotel.
The parking lot was unbelievable, with 12" ice mounds that a few fell on. They had gotten a couple of feet of snow the week before, and it appeared they just let all the snow pack down.
We thought we were saving $100 or so staying here and will never do it again. It was awful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
New Berlin, WI
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2010

We stayed here because it has an airport shuttle and was listed in the airport area. The shuttle leaves on an odd schedule, and is not close to the airport. It picks up people at the Mall of America first, so little room for luggage or people when it does arrive at the airport. We were also charged to leave our car here as we used priceline, ($50 for up to 10 days) which made this not such a great deal.

The room was okay - not fancy or special at all. The front desk clerk was very busy and didn't have time to answer our basic questions. I think there are better deals for airport travelers in the area, and for that reason, I cannot recommend the hotel.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2010

Clean room, bathroom and common area. Friendly staff. It's located in a convenient, safe area close to major highways, airport and Mall of America.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank shawnmck
Minneapolis
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2009

Will never stay here again. Room wasn't that great. Planned to leave the car there and take the free shuttle to the airport and they presented us with a $50 plus tax to park the car because we'd rented on Priceline. NOT A GOOD DEAL AT ALL!!!

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank Muckier
eau claire
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2009

This hotel should be condemded. Looks great on internet photos, however hotel hallways smelled of stale smoke. We had a non smoking room. Room had horrible mildew/mold odor. Went to sleep healthy, woke up with horrible sore throat. Have had pheunomia symtoms for 6 days. Caused by mold or bacteria. This hotel was filthy and should be shut down. Good health is not worth a stinkin $40 room. Priceline should do their customers a favor and drop this hotel.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple