“Nothing special” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #33 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Belleville, Canada
“Nothing special”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Hotel could not guarantee joining rooms which is tough for families. Suites had fold out cotts, which were disgusting and not suitable for kids to sleep on. Rooms we moved to we're ok, but not joining. Good location close to restaurants, and the mall of A.

Room Tip: Not family friendly
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank toocold00
, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, July 6, 2012
Thank you for your comments, I am sorry that we were not able to guarantee the adjoining rooms for your recent stay. We certainly do our best to accommodate all requests for adjoining rooms for guests with multiple reservations. Our hotel has numerous rooms that are able to accomodate families. I am disappointed to see that you did not feel the hideabeds were satisfactory, we recently purchased 10 new rollaway beds for guests that need more sleeping accommodations. We take extra time to make sure the bedding is refreshed and the rooms are guest ready at all times. I am pleased to see that you overall you enjoyed your stay and I am hopeful that you were able to take part in the Fourth of July festivities in this area.

I hope we can be of service to you for future visits! Enjoy the rest of your summer.

Pete Boese, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I loved the hotel. It was conveniently located for our trip. The price was fair. The room was very clean and comfortable. A nice pool and hot tub to boot! No complaints at all.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
Good morning,

Thank you so much for your recent review of the Park Plaza Hotel, we are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your stay in Bloomington. We will look forward to being of service to you for future visits, if there are any special needs you may have, please feel free to contact me personally at the hotel.

I hope you enjoyed your Fourth of July and that the rest of the summer is relaxing.

Kind regards,

Pete Boese, General Manager
Winnipeg, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

I stayed at the Park Plaza while i was visiting minneapolis. this was my second trip to mn and iam most certain that i made a poor decision by staying at this hotel. Let me begin by how unhelpful the front desk was, they simply did not care about their customers, it was evident that the service was very poor as i was about to check in many others were complaining but i discovered their poor service as i stayed for 5 days. The last day my girlfriend and I decided to spend another night in minneapolis so we contacted the front desk to ask for another night, at first they promised as the same rate for one more night, 5 mins later they told us the rate has changed and cant give us the same discounted rate, we were very dissapointed so i spoke with the manager and he simply told me that he has no control over their rates and that it was all fixed from the head office, than what is the role of the manager at this hotel? it clearly wasn't to satisfy their customers. the fact that they werent able to help us out even after staying for 4 days showed how careless they are. anyhow the room wasnt very nice, it was very old, the bathroom had cracks in some areas. overall i do not reccomend this hotel to anyone, spend the extra and stay at a proper hotel because the service will be worth it. My girlfriend and I are never returning to this hotel again and we have already told many of our friends to not even bother with park plaza. overall it was a bad experience dealing with bunch of careless people starting from their management.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stefan W
, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, June 29, 2012
Stefan,

Let me begin by apologizing for the issues that you encountered here at the Park Plaza Hotel, I am sorry that we were not as responsive as we should have been with your needs. I appreciate the fact that you chose our hotel for your stay, there are many options in the Bloomington market and the one thing we have worked hard at is to provide top notch service to differentiate our hotel from the competition. Most of our reviews are reflective of our solid service levels, so I am disappointed that we were not able to provide you with the same service.

While our rates are controlled through many different channels, we do influence many of them. We can't always guarantee that an added night will be the same rate that may have been booked for the original reservation. I do feel that we should have been more helpful to resolve the issue at the local level. I will spend time with our front desk staff and revisit how we handle rates and what we can and can't do. Bottom line, we need to continue to make efforts to exceed our guest's expectations, not miss them.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with our hotel, it is important that we work on our opportunities and build on our strengths. I hope we can be of service to you for future visits. Enjoy your summer and safe travels.
New York, New York, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I must begin by recognizing that the front desk staff was very friendly and the rest of my experience had nothing to do with them.

I was on a business trip, when I tried booking a reservation at one of our company's prefered hotel they were all booked in the area, I believe there was a conference going on, unfortunately I got stuck with this dump.

The rooms are dated and DIRTY and here is how my dirty-hotel-nightmare went down, the carpet is filthy, the couches have holes and stains in them, there is dust everywhere, old sticky dust!

I make my way to the bathroom and there's only 1 towel in the bathroom, there were no towels for my hands or feet.

I then make my way to the bed to inspect it (I've discovered blood stains on my sheets in the past during other hotel stays), instead I find myself with a bed full of hair, long hair and what it seemed to be chest hair, there was a lot of it.

It may sound to you as if the room was just not cleaned up before I checked in but the bed was made, and there was new soap and shampoo on my bathroom counter... in which there were splashes of toothpaste on the faucet!! Can it get grosser than that??

Yes it did, I walk towards the windows, and guess what was waiting for me? dry spit!!! Someone spit on the window (I'll add pictures to prove it!)

I asked for housekeeping to change all of my sheets, when I came back from having dinner I inspected the bed again, and there it was, the same party of hairs so the sheets weren't changed!!!

I pick up the phone next to my bed to call front desk and realized that the phone wasn't working, there was no cord connecting the phone to anything, so it's only there as part of the furniture --I then began to think that I may just be in a nightmare....

I went to the phone in the front section of the room and was able to get in touch with a lady at the front desk who informed me that there was not a manager on duty until 11pm!!!

I attempted to leave and book another hotel but everything in the area was completely booked.

When the cleaning lady came up I showed her the sheet underneath that needed to be changed, she told me, oh I was told to just change the top sheet!
--I couldn't believe my ears. Basically they do not change all sheets after every guest checks out.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Pamela B
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Guest,

Let me begin by apologizing for the condition and cleanliness of the room you occupied, this is certainly not our standard by any means. I am embarrassed at what you went through and will be sharing your comments with our housekeeping and engineering staffs. We are trying hard to secure capital dollars to make improvements to our hotel and continue to address the product as we are able to. We have made significant investments in the mechanical areas of the hotel, but now need to focus on updating the room product. Our ratings indicate that while not a perfect hotel, we do provide excellent service and normally clean rooms.

Our housekeeping staff does change all of the linens after each guest occupies the rooms, unfortunately the housekeeper who made up your room did not check the fresh linen for stains and hair. Our housekeeping staff continues to work on deep clean projects and have been for some time now, we will continue to work hard and ensure that all of our guests have a perfectly clean and orderly room. I would also like to apologize for the lack of initial follow through, I understand that the housekeeper did come back a second time to change out all of the sheets.

If your travels ever bring you back to Bloomington, I would enjoy the opportunity to provide you with a room that would exceed your expectations for cleanliness and condition. Please feel free to contact me directly should your travels bring you back here.

Thank you for your comments, we appreciate your candid feedback and will work even harder to ensure our hotel meets our traveler's needs.

Kind regards, Pete Boese, General Manager
m
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at the Park Plaza over Memorial Day weekend 2012 for three nights, and had a very satisfactory stay. I booked there mainly because I got a good rate via hotwire, and was looking for a place in a convenient location (for someone with a car). The free parking and wifi helped with the decision. I had not stayed there before (almost) so was a bit concerned with a few negative reviews, However, I found it to be very satisfatory in every way.

As I drove up, it looked familiar, and then I recalled I had stayed there before, about 10 or 15 years ago when it was new and operated as the Wyndham. It was very nice then, and although a bit older now, the upkeep is still very good. I will write my comments in three sections below:

Pros: Convenient location off I-494 and close to I-35W for someone with a car, about 6 miles from the Mall of America, about 12 miles from downtown Minneapolis, half that to the airport, 8 or 9 miles to Uptown. Room size adequate, tastefully decorated, king bed very comfortable, on the soft side but not sagging, cleanliness very good, front desk staff helpful and quick, free parking, free and good quality wifi in rooms (I was on the 5th floor), TV with about 40 channels, adequate hot water and pressure, free ice machine in hallway, adequate towels, pillows, ironing board and iron, hair dryer, coffe machine. Very good maid service. Shuttle to airport and Mall of America. Indoor pool. Restaurant in lobby. Non-smoking property.

Cons: Room could use a small coffee table so someone sitting at the sofa can have a small table in front, no safe in room, nothing much within walking distance (except a Perkins and a gas station about half a mile away), so not suited for anyone without a car. The bathtub was very slippery when wet and may be hazardous for some,

General observations: The room also did not have a fridge or microwave (not expected in a typical hotel but may be useful to know for some). I did not use these, but they do have room service and (presumably free?) shutlle to the airport and Mall of America. Overall the location is great if you have a car, or are just staying overnight and using the shuttle to the airport. I am giving it 4 stars and not 5 mainly because it is not a luxury property, but the value is definitely 5 stars. I have stayed in Minneapolis hotels numerous times, and expect an above average standard there, and the Park Plaza lives up to that. There is a Whole Foods within a mile or so just north on France Ave, and numerous restaurants and shops within a 10 to 15 min drive. If you are not expecting luxury or a resort (and have a car) you should be be quite happy there.

Room Tip: The even numbered rooms face south (towards I-494) but it is set back a bit so you never hear any no...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your gracious comments, we appreciate the positive feedback and will work hard at making improvements based on your suggestions as we are able to. I am so pleased to see that the staff was able to make a favorable impression and that the room met your expectations.

I will follow up with our housekeeping staff to ensure that all of the rooms have rubber bath mats for our tubs, they should be in place as an additional safety feature. While our rooms do not have safes, we do provide safety deposit boxes at the front desk at no fee. You are correct that our shuttle is complimentary to the Mall of America with daily schedules and we do offer, upon availability, localized runs to restaurants and shopping. These runs need to be coordinated through the front desk and while we do our best to accomodate these special runs, we can't guarantee them since the primary purpose of the shuttle is airport transfers.

Thank you again for your comments we appreciate them and need to see how we are perceived and what we can do to make improvements. If I can ever be of personal service, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. We all look forward to being of service to you for future visits.

Best regards, Pete Boese, General Manager
minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

I am not a picky traveller, I simply want a clean comfortable room and great service. I was not terribly impressed with the amenities compared to the star rating of the hotel, but was not upset or complaining. The hotel was older and needed some updating but the front desk staff was friendly and the room appeared worn but fairly clean. Until the next morning when I woke up: the sheets had come unattached from the corner of the mattress and there were several obvious stains (menstrual and what looked to be fecal) on the mattress protector from previous guests. And I had slept on these all night. I hope this was just an error in judgement by a lazy housekeeper, but still I have never had the skeevies all day from a hotel room. It was a terrible way to start my day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for the comments regarding your recent stay at the Park Plaza Hotel. I am sorry that we were not able to exceed your expectations and that the bedding was not satisfactory. I will review your comments with our staff and work on ensuring our room product is the best it can be at all times. Our new housekeeping manager has made many great strides in keeping the housekeepers focused on the guest experience and will continue to concentrate on the cleanliness of the hotel. I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay.
Sartell, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2012

This hotel is older but I do believe they are trying to renovate it slowly. I have stayed in two of their rooms & the beds are nice & comfy unlike most hotel beds. Room is nice & clean. The staff is great. Considering they have a free shuttle service to the airport with free parking if you go on a trip plus they will shuttle you to the Mall of America & back, I find this hotel to be a great value for the location. Granite, the amenities are not there like fridge & microwave & the pool isn't so great, again for the money you can hardly do better. I did rent a fridge for $9.00 extra one night, which was kind of a waste as it takes so long to cool. Anyway for just a goods nights sleep, hard to do better.

Room Tip: Close to Perkins, Denny's & Southdale.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
PeteBoese, General Manager at Park Plaza Bloomington, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
We are all thrilled to see that we were able to meet your expectations during your recent visit. I am very happy to see that our staff was able to make a favorable impression during your stay, our service is our strength. There are many hotels to choose from in Bloomington and we are glad that you chose ours. If I can be of personal assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.