“Rooms require updating.”

GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington
Ranked #37 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed October 23, 2011

Let me start by saying I booked through Priceline, so I'm sure I paid less than others, but still I was disappointed. Upon check in, all double rooms were booked, therefore our daughter and her friend had to sleep on the floor (roll always were offered, the girls declined).

The rooms are VERY outdated. Old furniture, old tv, old wallpaper. The bathroom was terrible! Wallpaper was some of the worst I've seen, dirty and damaged in many areas.

When we left our room the first day (10:00) housekeeping was across the hall. When we returned 7 hours later, our keys no longer worked and housekeeping still hadn't been there.

Although the room condition/ quality was very poor in our opinion, there were some positives. The dining area was convenient even if they charged for what other hotels provide for free. Mgmt responded quickly to requests. Rooms were sound proofed well.

• Stayed: October 2011

Reviewed October 22, 2011

The Park Plaza which is part of the Carlton Chain was pretty nice inside. The lobby was nice. The staff was very good. We chose this location because of the free shuttle to the mall of America. My husband was on business so he left and I took the shuttle. It was right on time and was a really nice perk. I however found the room to be less than expected. There were a couple of reasons. The main one was I could not get the room regulated to the correct temperature. The fan on the heater/air conditioner was REALLY loud. There really was no inbetween with it. It was either too chilly or too hot. The bed was pretty fair. Not as nice as the Countryinn beds though. No free breakfast here either. The price was either 10.99 for a hot breakfast buffet or 8.99 for the cold part. Basically I ate yogurt and fruit for 8.99. Not too great of a selection of fruit either... The last thing that bugged me was the remote for the television had run out of batteries. I asked housekeeping and they said I would have to call maintainance..I just thought wow. I didn't even bother. I would not stay here again if up in Minneapolic..I will pay extra and go to the holiday inn express or country inn.

Room Tip: not sure. did not stay in anyother rooms there.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed October 10, 2011

The annual NOHVCC/INOHVAA Conference was held here in Sept, 2011. The facility was clean, rooms nice, food excellent and all the staff was exceptional. NOHVCC conferences are held in cities all over the US and this venue was tops. Everyone was friendly, helpful and flexible with any last minute changes or requests. The food was good with something for everyone, the presentation great and always served with smiles. The attendee's had only good comments. This facility went a long way in making our conference a great success.

It's always nice to be within walking distance of attractions, but the shuttle service made up for the distances. Not only were we shuttled to the airport and Mall of America, but out to dinner at a location recommended by one of the staff. What a satisfying experience.

1  Thank Mona E
Reviewed October 3, 2011

I have never posted a reply on Trip Advisor before however I felt that this hotel warranted a review. I have stayed in many hotels over the years including many in other countries as well. I have never stayed at such a terrible hotel in all my life. I booked this hotel through priceline.com and got a fairly resonable price. I was super excited till I got to the hotel and realized this hotel is very old and quite rundown. I can live with that not a big deal. However, when the maid came in on Saturday morning to clean our room she left her toilet cleaning scrubber on top of our toothbrushes. DISGUSTING !!!!! When I brought down the scrubber and told the front desk lady I was told she could not do anything because the room had been booked through priceline. Terrible if my husband and I had brushed our teeth with those tooth brushed we could of gotten extreemly sick! Shame on the Park Plaza!!! Do not stay here unless you want to catch some disease from incompetant staff and a unsympathetic manager. Also do not look to priceline to help you because they are unable to resolve any issues either do to the hotel manager thinking that something so disgusting could happen at there hotel. NEWS FLASH IT DID BEWARE!!!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank S B
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2011

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. As I read this, I myself winced and wished we had the opportunity to talk with you during your stay. First off, let me apologize for both what happened and the response that you received. This was a careless mistake and one that I plan on personally talking with the executive housekeeper about to ensure all housekeepers continue to receive training. As for the response that was given to you, I will also be talking with the manager that assisted you. Let me please explain that she was trying to explain that with third party bookings, we are not able to refund or adjust any of the rooms due to the third party receiving the revenue. That does not mean that we couldnt have shown you empathy, sensitivity and offered amenities or services at the hotel to make your stay a more pleasant one. At the very least, new toothbrushes. This is not our standard operation and I do hope that you will allow us to show you the service we generally provide to all our guests. Should you be in the area again, please contact myself or the General Manager and we will be happy to assist you with your stay.

Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed here for a NOVCC conference, so really wasnt expecting or caring for much. Boy, was I pleasantly suprised.
First of all, they have a GREAT complimentary shuttle service that picked us up at the airport (and returned us) and also took us and picked us up at The Mall of America. (less than 10 mins away)
Rooms were nice, had pool, nice lounge, nice restaraunt, lots of free to use computers, and the food was amazing !!!
Staff were all very friendly and helpful and the whole stay was very nice !
I am quite picky when it comes to hotels, and this was a great stay!!!
If I had to complain about anything, I could say that the area right by the hotel (walking distance) didnt really have much, and it seemed once in a while you had to knock on front desk countertop to get service from front desk. Thats it, no big deal.
Great place to stay !!!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded September 29, 2011

Thank you for the wonderful comments! We truly enjoyed having your group in-house and certinaly hope to host again if you make it to the Bloomington area again. With how much you all travel, it means a lot that you found your stay enjoyable and will pass your comments along to the staff. We are a little tucked away however next time you are at the hotel, ask the front desk if they are able to bring you to one of the nearby venues. When pre-arranged, we can escort guests within 5 miles of the hotel.

Reviewed September 25, 2011

No surprises except for generous room size and the fact that there is an indoor pool and hot tub--never thought of bringing my bathing suit and wished I had.

I came to town for the memorial of a dear friend and the hotel provided a welcome respite at the end of the day. The ofice area in the room was a pleasure to use and I like the way the tv was close to the bed.

Great value for the money.

Room Tip: away from the ice machine
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
ParkPlaza84, Director of Sales at GuestHouse Inn-Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I'm pleased to hear that during a sensitive time for you , you found comfort at the hotel. The size of the rooms are most commented on as they allow you to truly spread out and seperate your sleeping from your work or entertainment. Next time please do bring your suit and enjoy the pool area. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed September 23, 2011

Couldn't find anything bad to comment about. Hotel was price right, easy to get to all locations in the area. Really appreciated having a restaurant and bar right in the hotel. Would definitely stay here again

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for your comments and we are so pleased that you had a wonderful stay. Hopefully you were able to take advantage of our Monday-Friday 5pm-7pm Happy hour with $2 apps and drinks. We look forward to your return visit , appreciate your business and if there is anything you need assistance with, please dont hesitate to contact the staff here.