“NO AIR-CONDITIONING”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Minnesota
“NO AIR-CONDITIONING”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2009

I paid $99.00 per night for three nights and the hotel did not have air-conditioning. It was the worst. The management sent up a fan but that just blew around warm air. The pool and whirl-pools were nice. They have an hourly bus shuttle to the M.O.A. I am just extremely disappointed in the "no airconditioner."

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2009

The temperatore in Bloomington was in the low 70's; yet the temp in my room my 86 when I checked in and 88 when I checked out. The heating/ac system in this Hilton was not designed where it could easily be switched back and forth during warm spring days. Windows in the rooms are not designed to be opened so you are in a sealed environment of hell when the room is hot. Everyone in the hotel was complaining and we were told that the weather would be cooler next week and then the heat would be appreciated. No immediate solution was offered since room fans had already been supplied. I wanted to check out one day early and find another hotel, but was told that I would be charged for an early checkout. the hotel shuttle to Mall of America is operated by Embasy Suites next door and when it arrived at the Hilton it was already 2/3's full and I, along with 6 others, could not be accomodated. We were told to wait for the next shuttle in an hour. I then walked to the mall.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2009

We had asked for connecting rooms and they weren't available. They generously upgraded our rooms in order to accommodate us. Then I forgot an item at the hotel and Chuck G, the general manager, found it and mailed it to me no questions asked - even though it was my own fault. He was fantastic.. The rooms were very clean and comfortable and the hotel was quiet. The lobby was welcoming and the staff were great!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Bismarck, North Dakota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2009

We stayed at the HIlton for 3 nights. We had a rate of $99/night, then paid an extra $30/night to be upgraded to the 12th floor executive level. It is well worth the extra money because you get free breakfast & evening hor dourves (was pretty much like a whole meal). In the evening, they had one main appetizer (mini cheeseburgers, sesame chicken, etc) & then lots of snack foods such as veggies & dip, cookies, crackers, & cheese, etc. You also get access to the executive lounge any time which is always stocked with free beverages. saves a lot of money. we would have spent well over $30/day on drinks & food if we hadn't upgraded.

Our room was super nice & had a great view of the airport! It was very clean & decent in size. THe only complaint was that it was always cold. Didn't seem to matter how high we turned the heat, it was still cold. Otherwise, we were well satisfied.

The pool area is great with two hot tubs & a nice size pool. the hot tubs were extremely hot & the pool was pretty warm. wasn't overly crowded either.

The hotel is in a great location. Easy access to the mall of america & the airport. I would not recommend getting drinks at the lounge. We bought two drinks & the total was $15. Way expensive! The hotel has free wiresless internet for hilton honors memebers. if not its like $10/day.

Otherwise, our experience was wonderful & we would definately stay here again!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kbubach
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2009

We stayed here for two nights while visiting the Mall of America and also doing local college tours. I got a really good rate of $74.99 a night with my AAA discount for a room with two double beds. We made the reservation about a month in advance, and I requested a room with a high floor.
The hotel might be a little tricky to find the first time you look for it, but it's easy after that. If you plan to visit the Mall of America, this hotel is perfect for you! We used the shuttle service everytime we went over to the mall and had no problems.

When we checked-in and I showed my Hhonors card, we were given a room on the third floor. My request for a room on a high floor had been ignored. But, I didn't let that bother me, and we made our way to our room. Once we got to our room, I became a little more annoyed when I drew back the curtains on the windows and saw that we had a view of a wall (see pictures.) But again, we weren't there to stay in the hotel room all day, so it wasn't too big of a deal.

The beds were amazingly comfortable. The duvet and pillows were awesome. The room was very clean and I noticed no dirt, dust, or crumbs on the carpet. Housekeeping staff was very friendly and always greeted us when we walked past them in the hallway. The only reason I gave them a "4" rating on cleanliness is because they never cleaned out our coffee cups when they cleaned the room after our first night. In the morning when I was about to pour coffee into the "hilton" mugs in the room, I was shocked to find the remains of yesterdays coffee still in there!

Internet was free with my Hhonors membership and was very fast. Free parking in the lot right outside the front door.

The pool and whirlpool were awesome. They were always crowded, but we still had a great time!

Would I return? Of course! For the money, this place was a great deal and we had a very nice stay.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank teleholic
Tower, MN
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2009

We stayed the night at this Hlton to take advantage of their Park and Fly Service. It was our 3rd stay at this hotel. We arrived at about 3:30 and were promptly checked in to our room on the "Honors Floor", the 10th floor, as we are Hilton Honors members. When we got up to our room it was 80 degrees. There are no windows that open so we were stuck waiting for the air conditioning to cool the room off. It took 3 hours and never got below 72, despite the fact we had the air turned down to 65 and the fan on high. This was a problm the first time we stayed at this hotel several years ago and they explained that they had trouble with the heating/cooling system and were working on it.
The room was a standard king bed room, but this room was obviously set up for one adult. There was coffee available for one cup of coffee and there was a nightstand on only one side of the bed (there was a space for a table and an outlet, but no table and no light on that side of the bed, which meant my husband was unable to read in bed, which we do every night.
I went for ice and discovered that the ice machine on the "honors" floor was broken. A sign suggested that the ice machines worked on the 9th and the 11th floors, so I went up to the 11th floor. I could not find the ice machine and asked a housekeeper. She pointed down a hallway, but there was no ice machine to be found. I finally found the one located on the 9th floor. Use of their wifi service is an extra charge.
There are advantages to this hotel. The restaurant is good, but pricey, it has a great location with shuttle service to both the airport and the Mall of America and it is adjacent to the Minnesota Valley Wildlife Refuge, a haven for birds year round with a visitors center within walking distance.
But if you want this location, you would be much better off at the nearby Embassy Suites, which offers a 2 room Suite and complimentary cooked to order breakfast and an evening snack bar with complimentary soft drinks. The staff is much friendlier, there is free wifi, and the rooms all have sliding glass doors that open. All this for the usually the same rate or better.

• Liked — park and fly service, shuttle drivers
  • Disliked — room too hot, no light on one side of bed, only coffee for one cup
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2009

I stayed at this hotel twice in January, 2008, either side of a business trip out of MSP. For an airport hotel, the Hilton was a nice choice: its complimentary shuttle service was reliable and had friendly drivers, its fitness center had new equipment (cardio and weights), and its rooms were in nice condition with good amenities. I also had room service; the food was good, and the service was quick. I was upgraded to the executive floor with my HiltonHHonors membership, and the executive lounge was very nice, with a good breakfast and 24-hour access to soda, water, and milk. My only problem was temperature control in the room: on both occasions, I had to turn the thermostat in the room well above 85 degrees to get the room to a temperature that approximated something comfortable (though still on the cold side). Perhaps this was because the outside temperature was VERY cold (-2!), but it made the room a little less the comfortable. On my first visit, there were some forgotten details in my room (shampoo, soap, etc.), but these were delivered to my room very quickly when I called the front desk. Overall, this is a great choice if you need to spend the night near MSP airport.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)