“Good hotel near airport”

Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed at the Hilton Minneapolis for two nights because I couldn't get a hotel downtown while visiting Mpls for work during the All Star game festivities. The only negative as to the location is that there is no direct route to the light rail - you can't walk through the parking lots as they are all fenced off so you have to sort of go out of the way on the sidewalk. Takes about 10-15 minutes at a leisurely pace. The shuttle was not very timely upon arrival at the airport but leaves on a regular schedule from the hotel.
I was very impressed with the hotel reception for accommodating me when my flight was cancelled late on the original arrival day; even though I called past the normal cancellation time, they changed my reservation to two instead of three nights without penalty. And I admit I was a bit crabby (not the hotel's fault) but the person I spoke with handled me with grace :)
Upon arrival around 11 am my room was not ready but I was able to change and use the fitness room and take a shower (though the water was ice cold) in the small locker room area adjacent to the pool/fitness room.
The fitness room is decent albeit a bit warm - I think that's because it's a sort of sun room. Most of the equipment is in good condition though two of the five (yes five) treadmills were out of order. I didn't have the opportunity to use the pool or whirlpool, but that area looked very nice. Well stocked with towels and clean.
I had dinner both nights in the lounge/restaurant and was particularly impressed with the wine by the glass list...extensive and reasonable (I live in NYC) for a hotel bar. I had the duck salad one night and the portobello mushroom sandwich the other and both were very tasty.
If I ever did have occasion to stay near the airport again, I would consider the Hilton and would recommend to others for that purpose as well.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Milanie S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

MichelleN0023
Thank you for staying with us. I'm glad the staff was able to provide assistance and that your stay was pleasant. We certainly hope to see you again!

There are newer reviews for Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Nice upscale venue. Good service and food. Comfortable and attractive. Clean and quiet. Our convention lasted five days, during which there were many opportunities for the management, staff, and kitchen to drop the ball. They didn't. The Hilton offers many amenities I did not need. The stay was enjoyable, but I prefer to spend less for room and meals.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo

Arthur E,
Thank you for your review. We are pleased to hear you had a successful event with us! We hope to have you back again if you are in the area.

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Really impressive hotel. Only complaint was the size of a salad I had in the bar - it was massive! Enough to feed a family of four. But then I am a Brit!
Room was comfortable and clean, staff friendly and efficient. Recommended

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank davidh of england

David of England,
Thank you for your kind words regarding your last stay. We are glad you enjoyed your room and the food. (even though the portion was large) We hope to see on your next visit tot he area.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

Very pleasant stay at the Hilton at 3800 American Way in Bloomington MN. Staff was extremely helpful, room clean and comfortable. Great place to stay, close to the MOA and highways. Have been staying here for the past 5 years when I come to St Paul and each time have always been impressed with how nice a time I have.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Milanie S, Front Office Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Burton K,
Thank you for being a regular guest! We appreciate your continued business as well as your feedback. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

As a. Hilton Diamond. Member, I try to stay the most in a Hilton. This is the second time that I have stayed at this location. And is because as I said it's location, close to major interstates and the Mall of America. The best is has to offer is the Executive Lounge which is available for members 24/7. The staff there is great in particular one named Javana Taylor, which she treated my family like it was hers. Very nice and always with finner suggestions and a big smile. Thanks. The other side, the rooms need major renovations, I was at the 9 floor with two connecting rooms and the beds and furniture looked old. I have two connecting rooms for my kids and I only got points for one room, when both were on my bill. Oh well I may have to dispute that, but if they change the furniture I will give them a next time 4 out of 5 but not at this moment.

Room Tip: Floor 12.at the Executive Lounge Floor w a pretty view to the wildlife
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

MiaMobile,
Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased you enjoyed the Executive Lounge and the staff. I am excited to tell you that there is a planned renovation for the guest rooms later this year. When you experience the upgrades, we look forward to your feedback!

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Booked a stay at this hotel over the 4th of July holiday weekend (stayed July 4th - 6th). We stayed at this hotel location a few years ago when it was a Marriott property. We were for a hotel in this location and were excited that it was now a Hilton property (plus I was just sure something I had seen while preparing to book this hotel mentioned it being renovated...). We were a bit disappointed with our stay. The hotel didn't seem to have been as "renovated" as I would have expected. The common areas may have been updated somewhat, but nothing significant. The bar/lounge off the lobby seemed to be the same, but the service was good here.

We splurged for an "executive" level room, which was essentially the same as the "club" level had been when we stayed there as a Marriott. Same floor (12th floor/top floor). Pretty certain we actually had the same room we had a few years ago. If there was any "renovation" here it wasn't overly apparent to us.

The biggest disappointment was with the "executive lounge", which is a big part of the reason you would upgrade to that option. The "cocktail" and hor d'oeuvres that were provided were very sub-par. The only beverage options were wine or beer (not even any actual "cocktails"). The other complimentary items that were supposed to be available 24/7 (soda, water, snacks, etc...) we found to be poorly stocked on most visits. The breakfast that was offered each morning in the executive lounge was also pretty minimal. While the did offer scrambled eggs and bacon, that was pretty much the extent of the "hot" options. There were of course an assortment of breads, rolls, cereals and fruits available, which to me are all pretty consistent with a continental breakfast.

Upon returning to our room the second night after an evening out, we found that we had no running water. A call to the front desk gave the indication the entire building had no water but that they were working on the situation. A few minutes later we received a call back indicating that they could either send up a technician to the room to fix it or we could wait until morning (it was already after midnight) but since we kind of needed water, we said sure to sending someone up. Not sure what they would have done for us if the entire building was without water, but before anyone showed up we could hear that the water was back on so called back down to advise that a technician was no longer necessary. Really not sure what this whole situation was, but it seemed odd.

Overall it was a really disappointing hotel experience during an otherwise enjoyable weekend get away. We do weekend getaways four, maybe five times a year and typically just stay at whatever seems to have a good rate in the area we want to be in without really focusing on a particular hotel chain. I was fully ready to revise that strategy and make a commitment to Hilton properties based on their reputation. Sadly, this experience has at least given me a reason to second guess that approach to future vacations.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
HLTMOA3800, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

D_Omen25

Thanks for the feedback. I do appologies for the isses with the water and attempted to reach out to you via a voicemail message I left on your personal phone.

I would still like to have the disccussion. Please let me know when it is a good time for you to disucss.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

Stayed here before early morning flight. Room was very quiet, clean. Hotel check-in/check-out was quick. Lot of hotels close to airport that I've stayed at, but will probably stay at this one again. Convenient to Mall of America and many other restraurants.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Michael P,
Thank you for your kind words. We look forward to your next visit and hope are able to be with us longer.