“Pretty nice hotel but night clerk was VERY rude!”

Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America
Ranked #17 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersSilver level
Sarasota, FL
“Pretty nice hotel but night clerk was VERY rude!”
Reviewed October 31, 2012 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel on business for 2 nights. I am a loyal Hilton traveler. I'm also not usually a complainer, so let me start with the good things!
Pros:
Great airport shuttle - the young man who was driving the shuttle was personable, knowledgeable and helpful. I would hire him any day!!
Comfy bed, sheets & big TV - the remote also had a sleep button - yay!!
Nice location with a federal wildlife sanctuary across the street - a beautiful place for a hike!
Convenient Shuttle to Mall of America - the older gentleman who drove this shuttle was also wonderful.
Room Service food was pretty good & was prompt.
Indoor pool & whirlpool looked nice, but I hadn't brought my suit
Gym was nice and fairly well appointed

Ok, here's where I was disappointed. And very frustrated, at one point!
-My room did not have adequate plugs for iPad, iPhone, laptop, etc.
-Wifi was weak - I used my MiFi instead
-The top hand towel on the stack of towels had a hair right on top, and it wasn't a hair from one's head. How does a housekeeper miss that?
-Toiletries were not replaced by the housekeeping staff, nor did she empty the trash
-My toilet ran, and not just a little drip. About every 20 minutes it sounded like there was a waterfall in the bathroom, and that very loud noise persisted all night, every 20 minutes. How this has never been addressed, I'll never know. Because I was traveling solo, I decided not to call for a maintenance person, just because I try to be a cautious traveler. I shut the bathroom door, and that helped somewhat. I knew that the hotel was full, or I would have asked for another room.
-The check in clerk, who I think was named Tasha, was nice, but when I asked her for specifics about the meeting I was attending, knew very little. She did go look at a schedule to give me general information. As I was walking away, the younger gentleman who was helping another traveler was giving her very helpful information including meeting start time, that there would be coffee and breakfast before the meeting, etc. How does the woman who helped me know almost nothing when the man who works 3 feet from her is very well informed and helpful??
-Here is what was most frustrating and disappointing. I checked out VERY early in order to catch their (wonderful) 4am shuttle to the airport. When I got my bill, I realized that they'd charged my personal AMEX rather than my corporate AMEX which was on the reservation. When I went to the front desk to sort it out, the woman working there, Claudia, was unbelievably rude. The situation was handled so badly! I asked her, two separate times in the conversation, to make a note of their policy so that I could straighten it out when I got back to work (in all fairness - the error was on my end, I think, although I am pretty confident that their "policy" was not explained to the person who made the reservation for me) and she refused, saying that the information was all on the sheet of paper she'd given me. Seriously. If Claudia worked for me, and she treated a customer as poorly as she did me, she'd be looking for a new job. At the very least, Claudia should not be working with customers, that's for sure. I did tell her that her customer service skills left a lot to be desired. She had no comment. Nor did she thank me for staying, wish me safe travels, a good day, etc. It was a very disappointing experience. I am planning to contact the manager in person, and I am hopeful that the situation will be resolved and that Claudia will either get some additional customer service training or be moved to a position that does not require interaction with people.
All in all, I'd recommend the hotel due to its location and comfort, but a disappointing experience with desk staff is hard to overlook. Kudos to the shuttle drivers for a job well done!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank TheFiveOs

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
memphis,tn
Reviewed October 25, 2012

OK, so this hotel is close to IKEA, and close to the mall with an IHOP right up street also. This is a nice hotel. Despite the hotel being an older hotel it is kept in great shape. The pool area has two hot tubs. The hotel seemed a little "off the beaten path" even though it is close to everything. Room service was speedy. The Lobster Bisque soup is to die for. Chicken Quesadilla was more than expected when ordered off appetizers list. The walls are paper thin. You can hear whats next to you and whats above you.

Overall I would stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: maybe an end room? Maybe
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
HiltonManagerMSP, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Room service seems to be a lost art in hotels. I'm glad you enjoyed ours and, especially, the lobster bisque. The culinary and service teams will enjoy reading your comments!
Wishing you safe travels and a speedy return!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Was on business last week & stayed at this hotel. The hotel was clean & crisp. I liked that it was easy to get from the airport & to the mall with their shuttle. The drivers were so accommodating.

Staff was very helpful. When I checked out I asked where the business center was, the desk clerk asked if I was printing a boarding pass. I replied yes. She offered to print the boarding pass for me just in case the business center was busy. Was pleased to see customer service lives.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank OSUjules
HiltonManagerMSP, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Thanks for the great review and your commentary on our shuttle drivers and guest service team. I'm preparing to meet with them today and will take pleasure in sharing your feedback!

Thank you, thank you and thank you!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 22, 2012

We spent three nights here at the end of a road trip. We chose this hotel because of proximity to the Mall of America and the airport, free parking, and light rail to Minneapolis. Also, because it is a smoke-free property.

It delivered on all those. I wanted a retail hit before going home, and the Hilton makes it easy with frequent shuttles. It's a 5 minute walk to the light rail into Nicollet Mall etc (and there's a Panera there!) and airport shuttles. We barely used our rental car while we were there. Decent gym, impressive lobby, nice bar.

The rooms are fine: good size, great beds, but the bathrooms are tiny, and need remodelling. They're past it, but they are clean. For the price we paid, I think this hotel is doing a great job in delivering on the room. Like a few people we had some trouble with climate control - we don't like overly heated hotel rooms, and the thermostat seemed to revert to 70 no matter what temperature we entered.

All the staff we encountered were unfailingly pleasant, polite and helpful. They seemed to be genuinely happy to be working there.

I was interested to see comments about smoke - I am very sensitive to it, and didn't notice any. I think comments about the absence of a laundry and "freebies" is a little unfair - this is a full-service hotel, where these things aren't part of the culture.

A good experience. We would return, except the MOA is over the top!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
We really appreciate your feedback, especially relating to our 100% non-smoking status. It's been more than a year since we went through the process of converting the last smoking rooms to non-smoking, which is no small task (when done right.)

Our team appreciates your kind remarks and we hope to see you again for holiday shopping this winter!
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Average check-in, no real welcome. Housekeeping left trash in the rooms. No electrical outlets for computers, phones etc. and very poor wifi signals. Business center computer were extremely slow, which is a problem since you have to pay by the minute. It took me 15 minutes to print a simple document, it I had to do anything substantial, I would have gone nuts. End of the day, no one really cared about our experience. This is very un-Hilton like, we won't return.

Room Tip: Hampton Inn is close by, much better service, go there
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
I'm very sorry you had a disappointing experience with us and I have addressed each of these issues with our staff. Exceptional guest service is the foundation of our brand promise and your feedback helps us improve.

Hilton is upgrading the internet service at many of our hotels as well as the business center experience you've described. If we're able to have another opportunity at earning your loyalty, I believe these improvements (both personal and technological) will meet your expectations.

Thank you once again for your comments,
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Reviewed October 19, 2012

There is no better place to stay in the Minneapolis area. The staff- from the van drivers to banquet staff- were simply oustanding. Warm and happy smiles abound in this place. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and I don't know how you can do better than the amazing views (see pic). Our company hosted a 3 day meeting there and it felt like a gathering amongst family and friends- a place that you'd want to come back to again and again.

Thank you all for a wonderful experience and keep up the fantastic work!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Richard R
Thanks for the terrific review and the beautiful sunrise photo. We love watching the sun come up over the Minnesota Valley National Wildlife Refuge across the street. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton!
st. petersburg, fl
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I stayed at the Hilton for one evening as I was in town for a work conference. The room was a little bit updated. The bed and carpet seemed newer. I had a problem taking a shower as the tub would not drain. Needed to hurry as the water got deeper in the bathtub. I also had a housekeeping issue that was never resolved. The morning I was leaving I noticed a bug crawling across the bed. I called the hotel on my way home and spoke to a gentleman at reception. When I informed him of the situation he started with "We'll, actually".... I knew I was not going to get much help from there. I told him I was just calling to inform them of the issue and needed some direction as to how to clean my clothes and suitcase so that I did not bring any home with me. He transferred me to the voicemail for housekeeping. I left them a message and never received a return phone call. Was very disappointed with the customer service.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
HiltonManagerMSP, General Manager at Hilton Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport Mall of America, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Please accept my apology for the poor experience you've described today. I have followed up with our telephone operator to locate your report and I will personally attend to the poor communiation and service you've described. I've identified the subsequent steps taken by our team to ensure that the matter was investigated.

The bug you discovered is an autumn phenomenon in Minnesota, the boxelder beetle. Just like ladybugs, they are harmless nuisance insects that show up for a couple of weeks each fall. Homeowners and businesses work diligently to remove them, but hotels receive reports every October like yours throughout the region.

I'm sorry that the response was poor and your fears weren't addressed swiftly and professionally. We will coach our team to effectively manage this process better.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope you consider giving us another chance to earn your trust and loyalty.