While there is no denying this is an older Embassy Suites property and it is decently maintained and if there was one redeeming factor in its age: it is what I call an Embassy Suites "Classic" as it is one of the original hotels with the large central atrium that they are no longer building and that you rarely see anymore and given there are some good reasons for that: the atriums gave off lots of noise to the rooms and I imagine are a nightmare to maintain and air condition. However I found this property to provide a sense of nostalgia given you don't see these too much anymore and my kids got a kick out of it as it presented a sense of grandeur versus a "new" Crown Plaza we had stayed in the previous nights in Milwaukee. When I viewed the photos on trip advisor while planning my trip, I could clearly see this was one of the older properties and that it's sister property any Bloomington looked even older showing the old spanish style arches of some of the most original Embassy Suites. It definitely looked dated on the photos, however the good news is it actually exceeded my expectations as the property (outside of the immediate check in area) seemed to be well maintained. I realized how I missed these hotels with there soaring atrium and full service, salt water pool with a sauna and steam room. The newer properties are being built with modified lessened atriums. The room we had was in good condition with decent furniture. I have stayed in Embassy Suites from Glendale, Ca. (a favorite) to Livonia, MI. (worst), although the two TVs were flat screen HD; they were of a no name Chinese brand called "Chimei" which was a little concerning at first, but the picture quality turned out to be fine. Unlike some of the reviews I read on this property, we stayed Tues. through Sunday in the middle of July and the hotel was busy, but not over run with kids and families until Friday. Overall we had a decent stay at this property and given this style of property is quickly becoming extinct, it was nice to see an Embassy Suites maintaining some of the nostalgia and given its age it has reached classic status and could get better with age if maintained properly.
Great location: Right next to the light rail and close to Mall of America (we could see it from our room)
Saltwater pool with sauna and steam room
It is a full service hotel with a bellman, steak house, and gift shop
Free breakfast and the gentlemen manning the grill while we were there was very helpful.
No free wi-fi. This was a real bummer as most hotels I stay in these days have free wi-fi and I paid for one day thinking we would have a hotspot for the whole room and it only works for one device, so my kids were stranded with their iPads not able to get on-line and we all had to huddle around my laptop!?
I had reserved a non-smoking double and was told on check in that I needed to update my HiltonHonors profile to show "non-smoking" and as a result was told I had reserved a smoking room and there were only three left in the hotel as they were phasing them out. I subsequently checked my HiltonHonors profile and its does not even have a "non-smoking" option and mine did not have "smoking" checked instead it provides two choices: "Smoking" or "Accessible" (whatever that means)!? The good news is the attendant was able to get us in a non-smoking room, BUT it was a single bed King (I was told the doubles were sold out) which resulted in my having to sleep on the pull out sofa and getting a sore neck!
The check-in lobby is a real downer and when you check in to a hotel this is critical. There is no real welcoming feel as we did check in at late evening on a very hot evening, the doors and windows looked really old and dated and when I walked in, it felt like the A.C. was not working and the front desk looked badly in need of a refurb. In my opinion this and the co-located steak house looked the most in need of an update. The steak house looked straight out of the '80s.
They only served Pepsi products at the breakfast and manager's reception (no Diet Coke?!) which is different than any other Embassy Suites we've stayed at.
The property is definitely older and the elevators did have some issues while we were there
Parking became a factor on our last night a Friday as more folks and families were checking in and there seemed to be several events/parties going on at the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport hotel near Mall of America is located close to many Bloomington MN attractions. Our complimentary shuttle provides transportation to the American Girl Store in Mall of America or Minneapolis St. Paul MSP airport just 1 mile from the hotel. Visit Nickelodeon Universe or the Water Park of America just minutes from this Bloomington, MN hotel. Our all-suite, full-service, upscale accommodations offer the ideal choice for the business or leisure traveler. Guests of the Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport hotel stay in a spacious two-room suite complete with a refrigerator, microwave oven and coffee maker. Our complimentary cooked-to-order breakfast and complimentary manager's reception are served daily in our lush open air atrium. Unwind and refresh in our indoor pool, fitness center and whirlpool. Woolley's Steakhouse, winner of 2009 Minnesota's Beef Backer's award, is well known as the best steakhouse in the South Metro. We offer our guests a first class dining experience. Our 150 seat dining room overlooks running brooks and the tropical hotel atrium creating a dining atmosphere like no other. Cuisine offers wide variety of grilled meats, poultry and fish. Extensive lunch menu features include famous salad bar and a wide array of sandwiches and hot and cold entrees. Our fine dining menu offers daily Chef Specials. An excellent wine list accompanies your choice of entrees. Extensive dessert menu available for lunch and dinner. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Booking.com, Priceline, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelsforEveryone, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport Hotel Bloomington
- Minneapolis Airport Embassy Suites
- Embassy Suites Bloomington
- Bloomington Embassy Suites
- Embassy Suites By Hilton Minneapolis - Airport Bloomington, MN, North America