“Trip Down Memory Lane”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed July 22, 2013

While there is no denying this is an older Embassy Suites property and it is decently maintained and if there was one redeeming factor in its age: it is what I call an Embassy Suites "Classic" as it is one of the original hotels with the large central atrium that they are no longer building and that you rarely see anymore and given there are some good reasons for that: the atriums gave off lots of noise to the rooms and I imagine are a nightmare to maintain and air condition. However I found this property to provide a sense of nostalgia given you don't see these too much anymore and my kids got a kick out of it as it presented a sense of grandeur versus a "new" Crown Plaza we had stayed in the previous nights in Milwaukee. When I viewed the photos on trip advisor while planning my trip, I could clearly see this was one of the older properties and that it's sister property any Bloomington looked even older showing the old spanish style arches of some of the most original Embassy Suites. It definitely looked dated on the photos, however the good news is it actually exceeded my expectations as the property (outside of the immediate check in area) seemed to be well maintained. I realized how I missed these hotels with there soaring atrium and full service, salt water pool with a sauna and steam room. The newer properties are being built with modified lessened atriums. The room we had was in good condition with decent furniture. I have stayed in Embassy Suites from Glendale, Ca. (a favorite) to Livonia, MI. (worst), although the two TVs were flat screen HD; they were of a no name Chinese brand called "Chimei" which was a little concerning at first, but the picture quality turned out to be fine. Unlike some of the reviews I read on this property, we stayed Tues. through Sunday in the middle of July and the hotel was busy, but not over run with kids and families until Friday. Overall we had a decent stay at this property and given this style of property is quickly becoming extinct, it was nice to see an Embassy Suites maintaining some of the nostalgia and given its age it has reached classic status and could get better with age if maintained properly.
Pluses
Great location: Right next to the light rail and close to Mall of America (we could see it from our room)
Saltwater pool with sauna and steam room
It is a full service hotel with a bellman, steak house, and gift shop
Free breakfast and the gentlemen manning the grill while we were there was very helpful.
Minuses:
No free wi-fi. This was a real bummer as most hotels I stay in these days have free wi-fi and I paid for one day thinking we would have a hotspot for the whole room and it only works for one device, so my kids were stranded with their iPads not able to get on-line and we all had to huddle around my laptop!?
I had reserved a non-smoking double and was told on check in that I needed to update my HiltonHonors profile to show "non-smoking" and as a result was told I had reserved a smoking room and there were only three left in the hotel as they were phasing them out. I subsequently checked my HiltonHonors profile and its does not even have a "non-smoking" option and mine did not have "smoking" checked instead it provides two choices: "Smoking" or "Accessible" (whatever that means)!? The good news is the attendant was able to get us in a non-smoking room, BUT it was a single bed King (I was told the doubles were sold out) which resulted in my having to sleep on the pull out sofa and getting a sore neck!
The check-in lobby is a real downer and when you check in to a hotel this is critical. There is no real welcoming feel as we did check in at late evening on a very hot evening, the doors and windows looked really old and dated and when I walked in, it felt like the A.C. was not working and the front desk looked badly in need of a refurb. In my opinion this and the co-located steak house looked the most in need of an update. The steak house looked straight out of the '80s.
They only served Pepsi products at the breakfast and manager's reception (no Diet Coke?!) which is different than any other Embassy Suites we've stayed at.
The property is definitely older and the elevators did have some issues while we were there
Parking became a factor on our last night a Friday as more folks and families were checking in and there seemed to be several events/parties going on at the hotel.

Room Tip: I over heard on the elevator from one gentlemen that the top floor can get noisy given the proximity...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your trip down memory lane. We pride ourselves in providing each and every guest with a high quality experience and it seems we have fallen short during your recent stay. It appears that the king bed room due to no double bed room available and the wi-fi were the main reasons for the low ratings. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this caused you while staying with us and I have discussed with my team as to how we can better approach this in the future. Thank you for the comments regarding the team member at the grill for breakfast. I will pass on your comments to him. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and we hope to see you in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

A TripAdvisor Member
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We were in for one night only and this was perfect as a location. Easy access to airport and mall of america with free shuttle. The food in the Restaurant was great and we enjoyed the happy hour and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I tend to choose Embassy Suites when I travel because of their consistency, but this one was a real disappointment. Granted, I was there during a very busy time, but I've stayed in other Embassy Suites while they were at capacity, and I've never had the bad experience that I had here. First, the hotel is dated to the point of being in disrepair. The lack of minor maintenance items like a new guest info folder or linen hang tag (both of which were covered in food remnants) gives a very clear "we don't give a crap" vibe. On the positive side, if you're in town to visit the MOA, this hotel is in a great location. The lobby is fine, and the front desk staff is friendly. The room is a typical size for an ES, but the fridge in our room was loud and the door that covers it would not stay closed. There was no bottled water in the room, no TV guide, one of the elevators was out of order for our entire visit. No Disney channel. AC was completely unresponsive. Jack hammering on the roof all day long was a major annoyance. Safety deposit boxes are not available in the rooms, and the ones at the front desk are tiny, so if you're bringing a tablet or a computer, note that you will not be able to lock them up. The front desk will offer to put them in a locked storage closet, but that option didn't seem very secure to me. The shuttle to the MOA, which they advertise as a major convenience, was standing room only, and several people weren't able to make it onboard on each of my 4 trips to the MOA. The breakfast experience at this property was really, really bad. Lines were about 45 minutes long, and there was not nearly enough seating for everyone. Signs that were posted later in the day suggested arriving for breakfast by 7:30, so the next morning we arrived at 7:15 to find long lines, cold pancakes, and no seating. The swimming pool was always too packed to use, and while we were leaving I noticed that it appeared to be covered in some kind of film. Yuck. Next time I visit the MOA, I'll be staying somewhere else.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 19, 2013

Please accept my apology for your recent stay at my hotel. I am sorry that we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve. I am working with the Housekeeping and Engineering team to address the concerns that you have in the rooms and the noise. My Food and Beverage team has taken your comments to adjust staffing and food preparation. We are always looking for ways to improve our guest experience. We are doing additional runs to the Mall as needed. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will continue to choose us when in the Minneapolis area.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

An above average hotel that we stay in every summer and just fallen to Poor. Not sure what's happened in the last year, but we won't stay here again with our kids. Stay here only if you have to & there are no other options. Bathroom was dirty, hot water didn't work, furniture is old & worn, cracks in paint, etc. The A/C unit was so loud it kept us up all night. Ate downstairs at the restaurant/bar grill, which we do every year and is usually good, this time the food was horrible!!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Embassy Suites Hotels
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. Please accept my apology for the issues in your room. I am working with our housekeeping and maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, as you have in previous years, I hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We spent our girls weekend at Embassy Suites after seeing room pictures and reading reviews. Our room was outdated and the very small bathroom's only entrance was in the bedroom. The furniture is dated and dirty. The rooms aren't as spacious as other Suite hotels.

• Stayed: July 2013
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We sincerely appreciate your feedback and we’re very sorry you were unhappy with our two-room suites. We will take your comments under consideration as we continually work to improve our guest experience. We hope you will consider staying with us in the future

Reviewed July 8, 2013

My flight to NY was cancelled so I had to find a hotel close to the airport. The Embassy Suites was available so booked a room for 1 night for myself and my colleague.

Took the train over from the airport as they told me that I'd have to wait for the shuttle. This was a mistake. The train does drop you off a block away but it is a long block and there isn't really a sidewalk like you have in major cities.

Check-in was fine, a short wait as others in front of me also had their flights cancelled to NY. Since I didn't pack anything for this "day-trip", I asked for toothbrush/paste and the front desk suggested the little convenience store to buy those goods. I thought it was a bit lame that they didn't have extras to give out, also as a Silver level member with Hilton, I would have thought they could do better.

The room itself was fine. The room was your typically Embassy Suites layout. A/C worked fine and the bed was comfortable. The bathroom was fine but starting to look its age.

Bill was under the door in the morning and was correct. Didn't have breakfast as we had the first morning flight back to NY. Got up early and went downstairs at 445am. Asked if the shuttle could take us and was told the next shuttle was at 5am.

Overall it was an okay stay. Rooms were comfortable and it is close to the airport but overall just average for a Embassy Suites.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

Our family has always enjoyed staying at Embassy suites. However, this one really was below par. I am usually a very positive reviewer, though a few components of our stay brought the score way down for us. The beds must have been the original beds in the hotel. Very uncomfortable. Our room was right next to the large air conditioning fans outside and sounded a perpetually loud hum all night long. This sound woke up even our most heavy sleeper in the family. The sliding glass door to the outside would never lock. All of the floors in the dining area were sticky and loud noises in the emporium made eating a real distraction. We will continue to stay at other embassy suites, however, not this one.

• Stayed: June 2013
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Please accept my apology for your unsatisfactory experience during your recent stay. Your feedback is very important to me. I am forwarding your information regarding the noise and sliding door to my engineer to correct and minimize. My Food and Beverage manager is addressing the restaurant comments. Again I am sorry that this was not a great experience for you. My hope is that you will consider staying with us the next time you are in the area