“Hot, stuffy and smelly”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport
Ranked #29 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I justify paying a little bit more so my family of four can start our day with a hot breakfast. It was the best part of the stay. Great staff as well! The room was hot and smelly. It smelled like I was staying above a Thai restaurant. I love food but don't want to small it all night long. I sprayed by room spray and it just added to the mix. There is no air on this time of year.... they recommended I open sliding door which just brought a lot of road noise in the room. The box fan was delivered a day later and was not was I really needed. I just wanted some air! I sleep on sofa the second night since the beds were VERY soft. I was not rested after this stay. I just couldn't wait to get home.

Room Tip: The forth floor had a fitness room that was very good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Thank you for your review of the opportunity with your guest room. I shared your feedback with the hotel team and we are actively taking steps to ensure that our guest rooms do not smell like food of any type. I appreciate your time in reviewing our hotel and look forward to seeing you during your next visit to the area.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is in a great location near the Mall of America and the airport, right near mass transit, but it felt a bit dated inside. I've seen more up to date Embassy Suites and liked those more, but I'd consider coming back if I were going to MOA or needed a place to stay near the airport for work.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us at our hotel. I appreciate your candor; we look for reviews to provide insight into our hotel and our guest suite appearance is an area we are actively examining. I welcome any additional comments or suggestions you would like to share. We look forward to seeing you on your next stay. Please let us know how we can make that more comfortable for you.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel was offered as an option for a 'distressed passenger' accomodation after I missed a connection in MSP when initial flight was delayed due to the snowstorm that hit the midwest the weekend of 3/23-24.

At $99 ($117 after taxes) it did the job but the room I had on 6th floor was looking pretty tired. Everything worked but the suite was overkill for one person and would have preferred smaller but fresher accomodations, although I do realize Embassy is an all-suite property.

I didn't get in until almost midnight and there were no food or drink options other than vending machines w/ high prices and little selection. Hampton and Courtyard have limited convenience stores on-property and sure would have appreciated that option.

Breakfast was OK but crowded with spring-break families so not a relaxing place to sit and linger over coffee with the paper. Looking at everyone's plates, no wonder half the country is obese and diabetic, but ES is just giving the customers what they want. At least they had real plates and silverware (I'm looking at you Hampton and SpringHill).

All the staff I dealt with seemed upbeat, professional and friendly so I'd give them a 4.5 in that department.

The excellent light rail stops a couple of blocks away so I got a day ticket and hung out in Minneapolis for the day. Not fond of malls but the Mall of America is just two stops away.

All in all, a 2.5 star experience in what was/is a 4 star facility. Did the job for a night and was more comfortable than the floor at MSP, but probably wouldn't go out of my way to stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Thank you so much for your feedback on your stay. I am sorry that your travel was disrupted, but am glad that you had the opportunity to see a bit of Minneapolis. As a team we are discussing your comments to see where we can improve. I appreciate the service comments as our team works hard to ensure every guest has the best possible stay. Thank you again for your comments

Reviewed March 26, 2013

Headline: A downmarket experience well below what one typically expects from this brand - including: a horribly dated interior from its lobby thru its facilities to the room(s) we occupied,a property desperately in need of refresh of decor and internal systems (HVAC, water), poor parking, a young and unevenly trained staff, and truly awful environmental issues during our stay - e.g., 90 degree heat inside room (with no ability to moderate via AC) and no hot water (in entire hotel) for two days.

The Hotel: Shows its age immediately - its owners (now Hilton) would be advised to invest in updating dreadful decor, appointments, etc. - which look to have not been touched since 1980s - e.g., our room decor evoked a Motel 6 off some US interstate a decade ago. A pleasant, if again dated, atrium is a welcome, if aged, open air space in winter... but that was the extent of pleasant discoveries.

Issue 1 - A Night in the Tropics. On the first night, on 9th Floor, we awoke midnight or so to find an unbearably hot room with our thermostat read just under 90 degrees Fahrenheit. As we are neither elderly, infirm, nor from equatorial Africa, 90 F is a bit much for sleeping I find - so I called the front desk and asked for night manager, with inquiry as to whether thermostats worked in rooms. The front desk staff member who answered handed the telephone to his manager while stating "someone else about heat", and without any inquiry as to nature of issue, the manager asked in weary tone if room was too hot, and explained they normally advise guests to open windows (!!!), as they turn off the AC in winter. So, we were forced to open sliding door on a cold (single digits Fahrenheit) evening, to listen to freeway, train and airport in order to mitigate oppressive heat. Tired, after a miserable and noisy night's sleep, the next morning I checked our travel alarm to find inside temp had dropped to a cool 78 degrees F (pls note sarcasm). I then spoke with manager who agreed that the decision to tun down heat was focused more on cost saving for the hotel than the comfort and experience of its guests ("Yes, I would agree" was her response). They comp'd our first night and moved us, with little in the way of an apology, to a lower floor away from freeway to help offset heat (lower floor) and noise should we need to open windows. Noet that when we returned later that day, someone having apparently come to their senses, the hotel temp in our room read in mid to upper 70s F - i.e., a tolerable temperature.

Issue 2 - We Join the Polar Bear Club. Now, safely ensconced in a room cooler than the surface of the sun, we assumed all was well. Little did we realize Embassy Suites was just getting started with us. The next morning, we awoke early to head out to meetings only to find we had no hot water. To be crisp, we had no hot, nor warm, nor moderately cool water - only water cold enough to freeze ones delicate bits. Another call to the front desk followed, as did another half-hearted apology with the assurance the Engineering team (I assume the same crack group of professionals that manage the HVAC) was on the case. We departed for the day tired (the new room was only marginally cooler than the firs, and we slept with windows open again), dirty, and not a little irritated - but with schedules too packed to move again. On our return, we check, and Viola!, hot water. On turning in for the evening, we assume worst behind us. Again, we underestimated the tenacity and steely determination of this establishment to provide the absolute worst in guest experience. That night (more below), we parked behind the hotel illegally as no spots were available for guests owing to large parties (peopled by 20 somethings suitably inebriated when encountered in hallway), made it to our room to listen to pre-teens and children running amok in hallways, and slept fitfully in the tropical heat - waking for approx 90 minutes in the wee hours to listen to a drunken argument between the couple in the room above us (the walls are such you can readily hear conversations and marital discord from adjoining rooms). The next morning, beaten, unshaven, and filthy, I ventured confidently into the shower, only to again experience the cold embrace of an Arctic Sea. Another call to the front desk, another muttered apology, and assurance that the issue would soon be remedied. We never did manage to have a shower, shave or warm splash of water those last two mornings.

Issue 3 - Mickey Mouse goes to Partytown. The hotel appears to attract many young, let's say of moderate means, guests intent on hosting or attending parties on site - hinted at by a sign posted at lobby deck warns against parties in rooms. There were two "sanctioned" parties in meeting rooms while we stayed, and, as noted, we enjoyed our encounters with these folks tremendously - really added to the overall ambiance (note sarcasm in foregoing). On the other end of the spectrum, this property appears to attract many families - so many so, it felt like a hotel in Orlando or Anaheim. Stating the obvious, were I on a business trip or traveling as one of a couple, I would avoid this property. We observed on our floor: a row of rooms with doors propped open, crock pots cooking away, food spreads in rooms a la "pot luck" get-togethers, empty pizza boxes, trash outside doors, bits of food and debris on hallway carpet (lots of hotel-provided popcorn), and toys strewn across floors with many, many kids playing in rooms, spilling into hallways playing soccer, running laps around floors / halls, playing in elevators, etc. The hotel provides a reasonable breakfast, but we took ours back to the room rather than eating in the atrium owing to the noise and chaos. Would venture to guess the hotel was hosting a mix of 50% of its guests under the age of 16 years. With the dirt, lack of bathing, noise, kids, and heat - you could with mild exaggeration describe as a Lord of the Flies meets Motel 6 vibe ;) Awesome.

The Restaurant: Woolleys has, in its day, won awards for its food. We experienced a mixed bag - one good dinner service, one poor dinner service, and OK apps at lunch over two days. The sirloin tip appetizer was solid the first evening - nice sear, moist inside, with good seasoning; but on the second evening this app was poor with grey interior, not seared, and with a few pieces of meat that seemed off, old tasting (since on a Sunday, perhaps from deliveries early in week unused on Sat eve). The onion crisps that top this dish taste overwhemingly of the can from which they were poured - and should never be served unless a metallic and wholly synthetic taste is the intent, or vision of the chef. The calamari sampled on the first night is forgettable - overly breaded, frozen, greasy, and similar to any you would find in any bar. The Walleye fingers were solid - lightly battered, not too greasy - and we enjoyed these. The 10oz Filet the first evening was delicious and very well prepared - cooked perfectly to Med Rare, well seared and seasoned - what one would expect in a decent Steak House. The asparagus was grilled and splashed with olive oil - nice. The Prime Rib on the second evening was horribly overcooked, tough as shoe leather, grey, and tasted old n the inside and excessively salty and fatty on the outside - I ate a couple bites of this entree and stopped there. Worst piece of beef served me in a restaurant in some time (since another hotel served similarly hideous piece of meat in Aruba in Dec). Wines and Port after meal were solid, reasonable wine menu. Service was fine if a bit slow on occasion.

All in all, the hotel has challenges in comfort and decor without the issues noted above. With these issues, there is simply no reason to stay in this property given number of other choices with mere feet and blocks. There is certainly no situation under which we would return. Hilton needs to clean house on this property.

Room Tip: Pick another Hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the issues in your room and will work with our maintenance team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

The rates at the Embassy were very reasonable. The hotel is impressive when you enter. The room was large, 2 queen suite with sofa sleeper. However, it was disappointing at this quality of hotel that the mattress pad on one of the beds had a blood stain on it. I called the front desk and they were very apologetic and sent someone up to remedy the situation. The gentleman that came to change the mattress pad and sheets was very kind and apologized again for the situation. I was just not expecting this at a what I consider a higher quality hotel.
On the good side, it was nice to be able to have a drink and a little snack at the evening reception. Breakfast was wonderful. The french toast the most delicious I have ever tasted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not facing the interstate. Our first room sounded like the window was open because yo...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that we were unable to meet expectations. Your review has given us retraining opportunities with our housekeeping staff to ensure this does not happen again. I hope that if your travels bring you back to the area that you will consider staying with us again. Thank you again; I appreciate your honest feedback.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We arrived to this hotel to celebrate my daughters 6th birthday in Feb.
Upon check in they said they were going to do something special for her, but never showed up. Oh well. Anyway the hotel was sold out. The pool was way too small and busy and the happy hour was packed.
The room was nice but if you slept on the sofa couch I can see that getting a bit loud from the atrium sounds. Overall, it was okay.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review. We’re very sorry you experienced an undesirable level of customer service with us. We appreciate you alerting us to this and apologize we did not send your daughter up an amenity. We hope you will give us a second chance if you return to the area and experience the excellent level of hospitality that the Embassy Suites brand is known for

Reviewed March 21, 2013

Stayed here for the Pink concert from March 17 - March 20th. Very good location and food and hospitality was great. The only negative was that one night, due to the wind conditions, the planes from the airport were taking off sort of in the direction of the hotel and it was noisy and you could hear the LRT outside our windows on that side of the hotel that we stayed on.
However, overall would highly recommend the hotel for it's staff, location and amenities.

Room Tip: Stay on the sides away from the LRT.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends