“Disappointing for the Embassy Suites Brand.”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport
Ranked #28 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Good Location. The breakfast and evening managers reception are nice touches and a brand trademark. The shuttle was also well organized with regular trips to the Mall of America and the Airport.
Had issues with house keeping. On two days of the our stay the room was unexplicably not made up, we were gone all day and returned approx. 6pm. I called down to the desk and asked why this would occur, I was asked if we had the privacy please sign on the door but it was still hanging on the inside door knob. She advised she would see if housekeeping could "freshen" the room. We then left the room for dinner and upon returning at 8:30pm the room was made up. I would think this was a fluke when on the third day of our stay we had a repeat unmade room after being gone all day. This time I called to report it and requested fresh towels be sent up so we could shower we were tired from being at the mall all day and were in for the night. I have stayed in multiple Embassy Suite Hotels in different cities and have never encountered this at one of their hotels.
Our other issue was the heating/cooling system. The room was insanely hot and stuffy no matter what you did to the thermomstat. A call to the desk to report that no matter what we did the room became a sauna resulted in being told to shut the system off altogether and open the window.... ok the temperature outside being between 0 - 10 degrees our whole stay this became comical opening and closing the window because no matter what it heated right back up, no solution other then turn the system off and open the window. We slept with just a sheet to keep from sweating, not what I would expect in Feb in Minnesota.
I have come to expect more from the Embassy Suites brand and this particular location was not up to par with others I have stayed in.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments regarding breakfast, evening managers reception, shuttle, and location. I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. Please let me apologize for the issues in your room and I am working with our maintenance and housekeeping team to ensure this does not happen again. If you return to our area, we hope you will consider staying with us again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,244)

Reviewed January 31, 2013

It seems my company is always having small meetings (10 - 50 people) here. Its a great location for flyers drivers and locals to meet up. The group rate on the rooms is phenomenal for what you get - clean safe spacious suite room, the free beer " team-building" reception, nice breakfast spread with made to order food all included. The meeting rooms are quiet, private, and the wireless is free, reliable, and fast. Its in the shadow of the airport and Mall of America. The hotel is crawling with maintenance and cleaning people and is very clean and neat and everything works. On site dining at Wolley's easily handles larger groups and is excellent. A well managed, well run, extremely affordable quality hotel experience.

Room Tip: Ask not to be on the freeway side of the building. Its not bad but the other rooms are more quiet.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed here with my husband, preschooler, and toddler as a "local getaway." We live in the Cities, but needed an easy weekend adventure and MOA seemed as good as any other option and the kids were excited to stay in a hotel and swim. I love Embassy Suites because of their two-room suites (ideal for kids with different naptimes and bedtimes) and for their breakfast. This Embassy Suites was older than most, but still pretty clean. Our room was just across a parking lot from the LRT stop (we could hear the train horn and bell "ding ding" all day and all night) and very close to I-494. The airport is just across the street as well, so there was a lot of plane traffic. It was noisy (light sleepers beware!) from the train, but my one year old loved sitting at the balcony door and watching planes, trains, and automobiles from one perch.

My biggest issue was how busy it was! It's a prime area, but I was shocked at how many people were everywhere. We had a tough time finding a table at breakfast, the small (but warm!) pool was at or over its 38 person capacity midday, and the managers reception line for drinks was at least 25 people deep at all times. The staff was friendly (except for the woman at the gift shop who couldn't be bothered to look up from her phone), they kept the common areas clean, but be prepared to wait!

The room quality was similar to other Embassy suites, but a little more "worn." The room temp was hot. The thermostat was set to 60 degrees, but it got warm and stuffy. We kept the balcony door cracked during the day, but that wasn't an option at night with the train noise.

All in all, everything was average.

• Stayed: January 2013
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy to hear that the location was great. However am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. Please accept my apology for the malfunctioning HVAC system and I have discussed your concerns with our maintenance team. We are addressing the wait time for amenities and hope you will consider giving us a second chance.

Reviewed January 24, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel many times. We like the location and the breakfast in the morning. The rooms have terrible heating/cooling issues which never seem to be fixed. It was nice to be able to get on the Light Rail train outside of our Hotel in order to get tot he Metrodome. The bus shuttle to the MOA is also a great plus. The Manager's reception is ok, but we were never at the hotel early enough to enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

I am sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the malfunctioning HVAC system and have reported your concerns to our maintenance team. We will be sure to address the issues with the room amenities and hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area. -

Reviewed January 22, 2013

Stayed here over the weekend of Jan 19th with family while visiting MOA. Good things first. Close to Mall and MSP. Barely had to put any gas in rental car upon return. Now the not so good. This is the 5th or 6th Embassy I've stayed at the past 12 months so I have a base from which to compare. Of course the suite is terrific for the family, but this time found the pull out sofa to be particularly uncomfortable. The mattress was terrible. The bath room was the smallest of any Embassy I have been in. The breakfast was extremely mediocre, even by Embassy standards.

If you needed a place this will do, but if I return to this area I will stay at another hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
luvthesuitelife, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that you did not receive a good night's sleep on the pull-out sofa bed. We strive to provide the best amenities and apologize this was not your experience. We are increasing our inspection and replacement of the mattresses on the sofa sleepers. We have addressed the other issues with our staff and hope the next time you're in the area you will stay with us again.

Reviewed January 22, 2013

I spent a weekend in Minneapolis near the airport,close to a friends house. She recommended the Embassy Suites there since her and the faculty from the near by college stop there for drinks after work on Fridays! It was a good call to stay there, the staff was friendly and the hotel had a nice setting and as I love to see CLEAN! the rooms were spacious and offer a nice business style setting so you could have a meeting in your room without feeling like a bedroom! I like the breakfast they had for the guest and the dinner time casual drink special! I would highly recommend for a short or long stay! one note is that the parking go's quick in the evening so I would settle in before 8pm

Room Tip: Higher up the floor the less noise and walkers pass your room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent 2 nights here between Christmas and New Years, and had a nice stay. As others have said, the rooms are large, and we were upgraded to a corner suite for no additional charge, which was the size of 2 suites! The room is nice, and the hotel offers free breakfast and evening reception. The food is okay, but inconsistent, as they are so busy that they often run out of food, and the lines are poorly arranged so you waste lots of time waiting. They could also use a few more tables.
The personnel are extremely nice and helpful, and my compliments to them. The room was cleaned, and the desk personnel went out of their way to assist us. The site is close to Mall of America, and the airport. There are not restaurants close by, so plan to drive a little if you don't eat at the hotel's restaurant.
Oh, my big complaint-they charge for Internet! Really-it's like charging for water in 2013!

Room Tip: Corner suites have lots of windows, and some rooms are a long walk to the elevator.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family