“Outdated and Somewhat Dissapointed”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Minneapolis - Airport
Ranked #28 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Chicago, Illinois
“Outdated and Somewhat Dissapointed”
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I checked in and the woman at the desk was polite, but didn't really want to be there. No smile, no welcome at all. I believe a smile and just being nice doesn't cost anything and goes a long way, especially in recommending your services to others.

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights coming from another hotel that had much more room and was a one bedroom suite for a lot less money.

This hotel if it has been updated as they say, they need a new interior designer. The decor doesn't match and seems worn. The bathroom was very small and the drain was rusted.

The mattress was not comfortable, my husband and I both ended up with a sore back and neck. We called up for more pillows, the second night, which helped some, but we had to wait about 5 hours for them.

We came to shop at the Mall of America and see some other sites and barely did that.

The walls are thin so you can hear people on both sides and the walking in the middle of the night noise above us. We were awakened at 3:30 in the morning by noise, which woke up our toddler and we decided to end our trip and leave a day early.

As I was packing, there was a large black bug crawling from behind the couch on the wall. I flipped out, seeing as though I had all of my sons toys and diaper bag on the couch. I felt like I had to bring everything in our garage to unpack just in case. As I went to check out there was no one at the desk. I asked the security guard and said he was sitting in the atrium. I went to go load our car up and came back to check out. I told the gentleman at the desk that they may need to get an exterminator because of the bug issue and he laughed and was like we will make sure we get that done and we are sorry that there was a bug there. I wasn't expecting anything, such as compensation, but maybe a little more concern or sincerity.

We didn't order room service as it seemed pretty pricey. We are willing to pay a little more for great service, but with the experience we had already, we weren't ready to use this, so we can't comment on this part.

Also, what is with charging for wifi? Every other hotel offers free internet. This is such a small "benefit" which was not offered.

I don't think we will be staying at another Embassy Suites again.

I am not one to complain, but I couldn't let this go without writing a review.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Polish first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 21, 2011

If you have seen my prior reviews - I'm all about clean, quiet, and bed comfort. I can't complain about my room at Embassy Suites. It was very clean! Cleaner than some 5 stars I have stayed in recently. The room I was initially given wasn't made up. I had to lug all my things back downstairs. The front desk clerk looked at me skeptically and gave me another room. I expected (belief, of course) and a sincere apology. I didn't get that. Wifi was $9.95 per 24 hours.....always an irritation when traveling for business, but it was good service. The bed was so incredibly comfortable. My room was on the south side of the hotel facing the light rail. I did hear it in the morning...not sure that IT woke me up, but may be a nuisance if you're a light sleeper. If you want to go to bed or have quiet early, it is tough-the hotel is an atrium and the piano plays loudly until 9. Location is great. The restaurant food was wonderful, though somewhat expensive. I was pleased with the breakfast; mgr's reception was OK. Bar was hopping and I experienced great service there. I wouldn't hesitate to stay her again because of cleanliness, location, comfort, and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the northwest side of the hotel
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank SallyFoodie
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed June 20, 2011

The location of this hotel is excellent. The shuttle back/forth to the Mall of America is very well run and timely.

When we arrived, our room was not ready and they put us somewhere else. We were told our amenities would be brought to us, (Diamond Level customers). They never arrived. Not a big deal, except that the hotel's overall attention to detail was like this.

There were at least two, maybe three weddings taking place when we arrived. One of the bridal parties rooms were not ready and they were very loud about their displeasure. It was after 5pm and I didn't blame them. The person at the desk kept his cool, offered a $30.00 discount a night, but really did not make the bride and her attendants feel special. They had a right to expect their rooms be ready and they were frustrated. I was surprised that he did not make more of an effort to quiet them down, or offer a solution other than "the rooms are not ready."

It was about 75 degrees when we arrived and our room was hot. The air did not appear to be working. On our way to the mall and dinner, we asked the front desk if they could have engineering take a look at this and we were told they'd take care of it. When we arrived back, the room was still hot and humid. We called downstairs and were told that the air was placed in "neutral" throughout the hotel, because it was supposed to be cold. This was not what we wanted to hear, but there was little we could do. They offered fans and we accepted. They were small, noisy and more or less useless.

The next morning, the room was really uncomfortable. I called down to the front desk again and was told that the air was back on. (We had breakfast--which was very crowded, with long lines that moved slowly. It took four bowls before I found one that was clean and the same held true for cups and coffee mugs.)

The beds were comfortable and clean, but the bedding was old and tired. I guess they were replacing some of it, because there were boxes of duvet covers in several of the hallways. (Along with scattered fans) The bathroom was very tiny. It was generally clean, but I made the mistake of really looking at the shower curtain and it was gross and dirty.

When we were leaving for the day, I asked about the a/c and mentioned that I would like the curtain changed. I was offered another room and accepted it, because he did not think the a/c could be resolved. I was told to put my suitcases in one area and they would take care of moving us.

When we came back, we were moved to a room with working a/c and a cleaner bathroom. T

The location of this hotel is great. Right near the airport and mall, as well as many highways. Average or a little below for an Embassy Suite.

The restaurant, coffee bar and lounge areas had nice menus. The menus were varied, the selections good and the prices a little above average, but not out of range. The food itself was excellent.

I had an occasion to use the business center and it was a nice experience. The room had modern equipment, was well stocked and was a pleasure to use.

Overall, the visit was just ok. If we had occasion to come back here, we probably would try one of the other dozen hotels in this area, before coming back here.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank TravellingMom2002
Willmar, Minnesota
Reviewed June 16, 2011

Very spacious rooms, complete with living room (pull out couch) area. Excellent breakfast made to order included (eggs, pancakes, french toast, bacon, eggs, fruit and an array of other items). Awesome happy hour (free drinks, wine and other alchol). Although I have stayed at other Embassy Suites that had more of an appetizer buffet at dinner (have had speghetti and meatballs, hot wings etc..) this hotel only had pretzels, natcho chips and salsa. Overall very good experience.
I did not like the fact ineternt is an additional cost for $9.95 per day and local calls are also a fee $1.25 for first hour then additional fees apply. Most hotels these days include free local calls and internet (wireless).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 24, 2011

Usually love Embassy Suites, but this one was very disappointing. The decor and hotel and very dated. The room itself was very warm and air conditioner would not work below 70 which is a little too hot for us to sleep at night. The bedroom and sitting room were very small and the bathroom was half the size of usual Embassy Suites. TV and light fixtures all dated. Hopefully a remodel in the near future is in order to restore this hotel in a great location to live up to its name brand.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I have stayed in a number of Embassy Suites and this hotel is decorated much nicer than most. The layout of the suite is nice as the bathroom is off the bedroom, as opposed to other Embassy locations where it is in the middle of the hallway. The location is very convenient as it is right off a highway and minutes from Mall of America. Minneapolis and St. Paul can both be driven to in under 30 minutes. Many restaurant choices in the area as well as bars and shopping. The usual perks of Embassy Suites are present (USA Today, cocktail hour, breakfast).

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed May 11, 2011

In May 2011, I for the first time tried the Embassy Suites Minneapolis Airport . Located only 3.3 miles (approximately 8 min. by car) from MSP, the hotel met my needs for a convenient location. Found my room (a large suite) comfortable and well appointed. Also appreciated that my room rate included Internet access (for Hilton Honors members) and an evening Manager's Reception offering complimentary beverages, pretzels and popcorn. A decent steakhouse on the premises (Woolley's) eliminated the need to return to the car and drive for dinner.

Two negatives: noise and breakfast. One side of this hotel faces a major highway; another side faces a station for a light rail line. If you (like me) find yourself sensitive to noise, then request a room not facing those areas.

The hotel's aggressively promoted "complimentary" breakfast (i.e., not separately charged) disappointed me. Entirely self-service, it proved too much work; even had to fetch my own coffee. The highlight apparently consists of made-to-order eggs and omelettes. However, the other breakfast items I prefer (breads, fruits, etc.) proved of mediocre quality. I would not recommend that anyone book here solely for the breakfast.

Room Tip: Request room not facing highway or rail line
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business