“Probably one of the best hotels in Minnesota”

Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel
Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Soderkulla, Finland
“Probably one of the best hotels in Minnesota”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Hotel is right beside Mall of America, which is one of the greatest place for shopping. No sales tax on clothes. Hotel has good amenities for example there are three brand new computers in business center. Hotel staff makes scanning and copying free of charge. Redrossa restaurant is excellent, happy hours from 3pm to 6pm. Food is great and not expensive. If You are hotel quest, You can have red wine bottle for 12 dollars. Just amazing place.

Thank Matti R. S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed here 3 nights on Business. What a great Location, walking distance to the Mall of America. Decor was wonderful and everything was beautifully maintained. Large Flat panel TV, nice furnishings, beautiful pool area. My room was on the second floor overlooking the pool. I worked in my room each day and it was nice to be able to have a "view" of the happenings downstairs. At lunch and at night I could easily walk to the mall for food and exercises/entertainment. Would stay here again.

Room Tip: Second floor overlooking the pool is nice.
Meridian, Idaho, United States
Reviewed September 27, 2013

This was my second stay at the Best Western in Bloomington Minneapolis and was as good an experience the second time as the first. Staff were very helpful and pleasant, room clean and decor was first class. Would stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Regina, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2013

lovely room on main floor with access to pool. I"m not sure that upgrade was required but it was nice. there is easy access to pool area from rooms away from the atrium. nice lobby. good breakfast. great location short walk to MOA and transit. pool area was great for our 4 year old with lots of splash features and a 'swim' pool for better swimmers. i wouldn't recommend getting room service from the hotel restaurant. we didn't dine-in, but found our 'family platter' was insufficient for price and wasn't exactly described on menu. a variety of entrances allowed easy access to our vehicle too. we stayed 3 nights. no complaints.

Bloomington, United States
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Loved it! We have stayed here before and loved everything! The decor is fabulous! We booked late and didn't get a poolside room. When we arrived, they had already upgraded us to one! It was fantastic!

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I was in Minneapolis on a business trip, so I had a choice of a few hotels which my employer listed as "preferred". Upon learning of the BW's high Tripadvisor rating, I picked it. What can I say? Either the rest of the hotels in Bloomington leave much to be desired or others are seeing in this hotel something I am not. Actually, I can probably guess what that is - it is very close to Mall of America and it's very family-friendly with a mini indoor resort. Neither feature was of particular interest to me.

I have Diamond status and was supposed to either get a welcome drink/snack or extra 250 points, neither one of which I was informed about (and my account hasn't yet updated to reflect the points if that's the route they went). Believe me, I couldn't care less about a free granola bar (or whatever that might have been), but the points would have been nice and what would have been even better was for the front desk staff to show awareness of this. It's a small thing, but it's a miss just the same. Also, with the status I am supposed to receive the best room available, which ended up being a King Accessible room and I was told there were no alternatives. I found it very difficult to believe that I took the absolute last room the hotel had but it wasn't a huge deal (apart from the missing bathtub which would have been nice to have as my trip required a lot of standing up and it would have been nice to relax at the end of the day). The room also ended up being quite a ways away from the lobby, so the morning schlep for breakfast was also a bit of an annoyance. Understand that all these are little nitpicky things, but they add up.

The room itself was actually pretty nice. Huge bed (even though the comforter had some weird velcro patches for the cover which looked unkempt when the cover was removed), decent TV (a nice brand for once, Panasonic) even if the remote was as confusing as any other hotel's, the bathroom was nice and clean. Of course, it was just my luck that the front desk, despite the promise of having various small items ran out of the precise one item I wanted (shaving cream) - it is, again, one of those minor details that add up. I think you're getting the idea - the front desk staff could use some help as the experience begins and ends with them.

What I did find to be a greater than minor annoyance was the wi-fi. It was a). horrifically slow, to a point where watching a YouTube video was a crapshoot and b). kept logging me out. I am not sure if the latter is the function of my having three different devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop) and the network not handling the switching between them really well or if it's just how the authentication protocol is set up, but it was hugely annoying. I am usually not super happy that 4- and 5-star hotels charge for Internet while 3-stars do not, but, honestly, I would rather have paid to get a better online experience.

Outside the room itself, there were major things to comment on: gym, pool, breakfast. The gym was nice, if basic, but definitely serviceable. A couple of treadmills, elliptical machines, a stationary bike and an all-in-one weights machine, well-stocked towel rack, water cooler - just what you'd expect. The pool, however, is something I never got to check out as it was a part of the mini-resort and required an armband to enter - I just never bothered finding out about procuring one. Don't know if it was free, either. Breakfast was not what I'd call healthy, but you could make it work. Cheese omelets (great!), sausage (curious ONLY choice of breakfast meat), yogurt (your basic sugary Yoplait variety), cereals (I guess Raisin Bran would have been the healthy choice), make-your-own-waffle station (good, but, as one may surmise, very carb-heavy), breads, muffins, pastries, apples, bananas, coffee (actually pretty decent for hotel brew), tea, juices. Again, serviceable, but nothing outstanding.

There's an American-Italian restaurant with usual hotel pricing (a fish dish is about $20). The service is really courteous - when my walleye came up tasting a bit overly fishy, they took it back without so much as a question and the replacement pear and walnut salad with chicken was pretty spectacular (well, as much as a salad can be spectacular, anyways, but I'm a picky eater, so any time I get to call a meal spectacular, it ought to mean something).

The location is a little difficult to get into as it's on a bypass road to Killebrew, which, given the construction that is currently happening there, can get a bit confusing in the dark. It's fine once you figure it out for the first time, though.

So, all told, if you like nice, family-oriented, clean motel-type motels, you won't mind it. It's certainly priced accordingly (about 90 bucks a night + tax) to take it a step or two above a Motel 6, but if you're looking for the experience that a #2 of 38 rating represents, you'll leave just as disappointed as I was.

Room Tip: Try to get a room as close to the lobby as possible.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mark O, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time you did to let us know of your recent stay at the Best Western Plus in Bloomington. I will take the information you gave us about your recent stay and discuss in detail at our next Managerial staff meeting. We pride ourselves on guest service and I want you to know that I will personally look into each item you mentioned that you felt was below standard. As a diamond member I would like to thank you for being a loyal customer to the Best Western Brand and I hope that when you come back to the Minneapolis area you will stay with us to see the improvement we have made with service and guest experience.

Mark Olson
Best Western Plus in Bloomington
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I stayed here with my 6-year-old daughter. We wanted something close to the Mall of America, and this hotel fit the bill. The room was on the second floor, in a corner. It was huge with a balcony overlooking the pools. The balcony was good and bad. It was nice to have a balcony, but the overpowering smell and vapors of chlorine made it impossible to use the balcony or keep the doors open. Also, and perhaps most important, it is NOISY!! The pool doesn't close until 11 pm and sometimes the hotel staff were late closing it down, so without the fan going in the room, it would have been impossible for my daughter to get to sleep. If you have little ones, think seriously about asking for a room that does not overlook the pool. The room was huge, as I mentioned, with a king bed, chair with ottoman, couch, desk, dresser, closet, space for suitcases to be set up and a good size bathroom. I appreciated that the bed was really comfortable. We had difficulty with the thermostat in the room, seemed a little glitchy and most of the time the temp was too cold or hot. No idea if it was our room or every room. The hotel advertises shuttle service to the airport and Mall of America, which it does have, sometimes. It can be tough to get the shuttle to the Mall, particularly when the hotel is full. We had more and more trouble as we got closer to the weekend. It was a 20 minute or more wait. However, it's a 5 or 10 minute walk to the Mall, so it wasn't a big deal and we walked over most days once or twice for meals. The food in the restaurant is decent but really pricey for what you get. The hotel does have a complimentary breakfast, but it's pretty substandard compared to what we've seen at other hotels in the last year. There were the standard waffle makers, three kinds of cereal, and a couple types of bread, and english muffins. They had mini bagels instead of normal sized bagels, some mini muffins, and mini pastries. There were two hot dishes, the same two every day, sausage and these odd textured cheese omlettes. One thing we did appreciate was they had several water dispensers around the hotel so we didn't have to keep paying for bottled water. The pool area was really nice. There was a kids pool, a regular swimming pool and a hot tub. It was crowded and noisy at times and none of the rules were enforced about no food or drink in the pool area, but my daughter loved the kids pool. One more thing about the location. It is close to the Mall of America, but that's about it. It's at least a 20 minute drive and $35 cab fare to downtown. It's further to the Science Museum (which is amazing!). If you stay here and you plan to really see Minneapolis, a car is a must unless you have time to take public transportation (which you can get right at the Mall). The staff at the hotel was exceptional!!!!! Huge kudos to the hotel for their front desk staff - knowledgable, helpful, and polite!!!!!

Room Tip: If you want peace and quiet before 11 pm, ask for a room that doesn't overlook the pool. The po...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Downtown
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Downtown
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot

Been to Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!