“Awesome family hotel.”

Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a great hotel for a family, the breakfast is awesome and if you can't find something (and I am gluten free) to eat the problem is you. The entire hotel staff does an awesome job at keeping the place clean and I like extreme clean and was never skeeved once. You can have all day coffee and they leave two big baskets of apples out all day to snack on. The pool is a salt water pool and we spent a lot of time in it - bring googles. No water slide which wasn't a big deal since you spend most of the time at the mall. Front desk has a spot to hold your luggage if you get there early. The shuttle runs from the hotel on the half hour and you call for pick up from the mall back to hotel. The shuttle guy stopped at a convenience store for us as we didn't have a car. Awesome!

Can't think of much I'd change. I wish Canada could get a family hotel with this quality of service for the 135$/ night rate.

Room Tip: When booking make sure to ask for a room close to elevator.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank PCPP

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was surprisingly nice. The rooms were clean and more modern than anticipated. I gave a 4 as some of the furniture was poorly put together and wobbly. We stayed in a king suite and it was pleasant. The pool area is nice for toddlers with the kiddie area. The water was not too bad for temperature but could have been a little warmer. The staff is very friendly and gave great service if needs. The breakfast suited many many people and I think for the volume- they do a nice job. The food was well stocked and the gals stocking and cleaning tried their best to keep up. Tough job. The restaurant connected had very good food and above average service. We chose to eat there a second night and enjoyed it as much or even more the second night with very prompt room service. I would visit again. The best part was the pool area for children ages 2-6. Action and fun, but not overwhelming where you worry where your children are.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here recently for a mother/daughter shopping trip to MOA. The outside of the hotel appears to have been renovated from an older hotel so not as new in appearance as I might have expected. Have not stayed at a Best Western in years and only did so based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. I understand that is a PLUS location so yes, it is slightly more modern and updated. Check in was fine, nothing stood out here. Room also wasn't too bad, 2 Queen beds and appeared in good shape. Pulled back the sheets and of course there were long black hairs in the bed. I can't tell you how much that turns me off right off the bat! Linens were decent in quality; the bed slightly softer than I'm used to. Also long black hairs on the wall in the bathroom. Bathroom a little small, but also fine and water pressure in the shower good. We both slept pretty soundly and didn't hear any noise in the hallway until some in the morning. We were away from the pool area and didn't even visit the pool at all while we were here so can't comment on that at all.
Shuttle bus to the mall is slow. We waited at least a half an hour to go over there in the afternoon. Driver also did some other drop offs first so that took even longer. We caught it just right coming back in the evening so that was good. We had a Shop Until You Drop package...not worth it so save your money. Coupon book didn't really cover a lot of the stores in the mall and we got back too late to enjoy the "free" pizza that came with the package.
Breakfast in the am....ugh! Lots of people, dirty and nowhere to sit. We got down there within a half an hour of it being over so that's probably prime hour. I get it but still....Selection was probably decent right away in the morning, but towards the end it is definitely lacking and very dirty.
So, I would say there are better options around the mall for sure. It seems to have really built up since the last time I was there and construction going on in the parking lot of the mall area. Looks like a new Radisson Blu attached to the mall that had just opened. I see the reviews are mixed so far, but it would be nice to just be able to go back to your room if you're shopping and not hassle with parking or a shuttle. We paid $150.00 for our package. Not worth it and I'm sure there's better prices out there. I predict reviews will start to dip for this hotel if some of the service/housekeeping issues aren't addressed.

Room Tip: Anything away from the pool area. Seemed like a lot of kids and activity going in and around pool ar...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Mark O, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Thanks for your guest evaluation of our property. We will as a team focus on the issues that you had. I will personally discuss with our housekeeping staff about the issues that you had when you stayed with us regarding the cleanliness of your guest room. Our breakfast area is very busy and can fill during busy periods. We do have a tray available in each guest room with a note on it that states that this tray can be used to bring food back to your hotel room if the breakfast area is to busy. We use these guest evaluations to make our hotel better for the future so I thank you again for letting us know about your stay.

Mark Olson

Reviewed April 3, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here in late March for 5 days over spring break. The hotel is wonderful. We arrived a few hours before check-in and our room was ready. We stayed in a non-pool view room (quieter) and the room was great - clean, comfortable, and tons of fresh towels. The shuttle to the MOA was the best feature - goes every 30 minutes 24/7. The pool area was impressive. We only used it a couple of times since the pool water was a bit chilly for our liking. The breakfast was decent, but the lines were pretty long if you weren't an early riser. I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: If you have children that will be swimming a lot request a pool view room. If not, request a room f...
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Our family of 5 stayed at the Best Western Plus for three nights while visiting the Mall of America and IKEA. The location was great-- about a 2 block walk to the mall and the shuttle service was quick when we wanted to go to IKEA. (twice) IMO the location is the best thing going for this hotel.

Upon arrival (1 am due to travel delays) the front desk staff said we should "call right away if the pull out sofa in our room did not have bedding". And, of course, it did not so we had to call and wait for bedding to be dropped off. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much but it would have been nice if they could have checked before we arrived and just taken care of it. They knew there would be five of us in advance.

The next morning we all needed showers but there where only 3 towels in the room. The room accommodates 6 so why not provide 6 towels. So, another call to the front desk. After that we left notes for housekeeping who was great about accommodating all requests. However, I am a bit annoyed with the hotel staffs inability to anticipate their guests needs.

Breakfast was the biggest mess I've ever seen. The set up is completely wrong and inadequate to accommodate the number of guest of a hotel of it's size. The line for breakfast every morning extend out of the dining area and well down the hallway. (30 minute wait one morning) The breakfast hosts were slow to clean tables and the garbages were overflowing. I had to use antibacterial wipes from my purse to clean off our table each morning. It really grossed me out but we paid extra to stay at hotel with breakfast so we too advantage of it each morning. One our last morning the breakfast staff sat in the corner on their smart phones as I again wiped down my own table.

Although the shuttle was always prompt and the drivers friendly/helpful, the front desk didn't seem to have any idea how the shuttle ran or if there was availability. This was really funny because every time I asked about the shuttle the front desk staff would act like it was a big deal that we hadn't called down to make reservations. One time the front desk person said that she thought there MIGHT be room for our party of 5 on the next run. When the shuttle arrived we boarded and there was only 3 other people on besides us. The shuttle probably holds 20-some people so it wasn't even half full. So, whew, we were able to ride. :)

All in all this hotel is just okay if you plan to eat breakfast elsewhere. Next time I think we will try another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Mark O, General Manager at Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Thank you for your review of the Best Western Plus in Bloomington. I will definitely discuss your issues you had at our hotel with the staff at the hotel. It is unfortunate your stay was not up to yours or our standards. We pride ourselves on leading the way in customer service and cleanliness in the Minneapolis and Bloomington hotel market. I will make this a priority to discuss with staff the items you found at our hotel not to be up to the standard that we are a custom to delivering to our guests.

Mark Olson

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Love this hotel! Great location, friendly service, great pool area for kids, great location. MOA is right across the street. Clean hotel and rooms. If you go to bed early, I would not suggest you get a poolside or poolview room because the pool area can get noisy with all the kids having fun! :) My stay was a good one! I would stay at this hotel again.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Downtown
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot

Been to Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!