“Great family location”

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Fairfax, Virginia
“Great family location”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Didnt want the vacation to end so my husband found this place across the street from Mall of America. Great decision. While the pool features are more for the little ones the big kids pool is good size. Not the typical hotel pool. The water was awesome! There are rooms right off the pool but we stayed down the hall. It was everything I expect from a Best Western. Clean. Comfortable. Good breakfast. They actually had room for people to sit. Most hotels have just a few tables and chairs. We crossed the street right into the mall we entered right at Lego! Just beyond that were the rides. A kids dream. I love Best Westerns. They are clean, affordable, and comfortable. This one didn't disappoint and made our trip even better. I only rated sleep quality average because I'm used to a king size bed and I had share a double with my returning from deployment husband. Nice to share a bed again, I just like big beds to myself!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed July 25, 2012

This Best Western was a pleasant surprise as it was reasonably priced, across the street from the Mall of America (close enough to walk), had a solid restaurant and had freshly remodeled rooms. The staff was friendly and helpful and it was a pleasant stay. The hot tub and pool are saltwater and the pool had a modest play area with squirting toys, a small water slide and a few other water features. Kids enjoyed it.

Room Tip: They have pool side rooms that walk out to the poll area as well as balconies. We stayed in a stand...
1 Thank bellaviaggiatore
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 25, 2012

We got a steal on this hotel at only $119 a night in mid June. I saw the pictures online and though for the price it did not look too bad and it seemed close to the Mall of America. When we got there we saw how close. This hotel is literally across the street from the Macy's entrance. We never took the shuttle to the mall since there was a cross walk to take you to Macy's.

The lobby was very nice and the whole hotel was recently updated. The room was extremely nice. The decor was very warm and modern, the bathroom was very nice and roomy. One thing we very much enjoyed was the indoor water area. There is a kid pool, a large regular pool, and a 14 person hot tub, all indoors. We do not have children, but we enjoyed the pool area very much. The main pool was a bit cold so we had to make sure to not go into the hot tub before the pool. The area was very clean and the towels were well stacked.

In the morning they had an extended breakfast. It was very crowded and they need more setting. The breakfast was very good for being included in the stay. They had 3 waffle makers, a buffet with pancakes, french toast, eggs, etc, and lots of cereal and bread. They also had granola bars, water, and fruit to go.

The only thing that could use a bit more coordination is the shuttle. We took it to the train to go to the Twins game and were told to call when we were one stop from the 28th street station. I called as instructed and was told they would be there in 18 minutes. 18 minutes came and went and we were still waiting, I called and they said 20 more. It would not have been too bad but it was 11pm at night.

All in all I am very pleased with my choice of this hotel and would recommend it to anyone. I would stay there again in an instant.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor in the back of the hotel and it was quite. Some rooms face the pool, w...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phisigsweety
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Had a great stay! Stayed in a King Suite (2210) , overlooking the pool. Great spacious room with fireplace, couch, and mini kitchenette. AC was great, pool was amazing especially for my toddler who had a total blast! Shuttle to mall of america was perfect, although it was only a five minute walk it was super super hot and we had alot of bags :) . Would stay here again in a heartbeat! The rooms were very clean and I had no issues at all.

1 Thank TravelingT137
Virden, Illinois, United States
Reviewed July 18, 2012

We were visiting the Mall of America and stayed at this hotel with my sister and her spouse, who have a child and a toddler. My family consisted of 2 teenagers (14 and 19). Our stay was on a Wednesday night and Thursday night.

We arrived a day earlier than expected and the hotel was very accommodating, allowing us to stay in my sister's room that night with a rollaway bed. The pool-side room seemed hard to keep dry and a maintenance person came and checked the air conditioning out, but later that evening seemed very humid again. The chlorine fumes also were annoying and in the morning, when the pool opened it was noisy. It is a poolside room.

However, it was convenient to have the room pool-side, with their own sitting area to keep an eye on the older child. The rooms were very clean. The kid's pool was really neat, with a slide and various sprayer things going on. Their toddler loved it.

On the second night, our room was a double queen, not pool side. It was clean, comfy and quiet and the air conditioner worked too well, as after staying in the poolside room, we cranked the temp down a little to far.

The Mall of America was within walking distance from the hotel, but they have a 24/7 shuttle which my teenagers loved because they were able to catch it back to the hotel after I pooped out on them. The shuttle runs the airport route as well as the Mall.

The restaurant was a little pricey, but not extreme. Not out of the ordinary as any other hotel eatery and they delivered. The food was good.

I would recommend this hotel for families visiting the Mall of America.

Room Tip: If you have kids that want to swim, a ground level, pool-side room is the way to go. The convenienc...
1 Thank Sonja J
North Platte, Nebraska
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Great location and the service was outstanding. This hotel is very clean and comfortable. Nicely decorated and the employees were very friendly and helpful. Transportation to and from the airport and Mall of America. Front desk personnel were friendly and gave us ideas for things to do and how to get there using the Lite Rail service line. The breakfast area was busy but good selection of hot & cold items, and the staff kept tables clean and food replenished despite how busy they were. Pool area was very nice and large enough to accomodate lots of families. Yes it is busy as the location is across the street to MOA---but they handle it very well. We felt this hotel was a the best money we spent during our 7 day trip.

Room Tip: Stayed here two separate times and had good rooms both times, so don't think there is a bad room...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Actually, I have stayed here more than twice - probably six times. Previously, all rooms have been quiet, comfortable, great beds and pillows, good water pressure and overall outstanding. However, this time the hotel was fairly full so I opted for an accessible King rooms since there was no other king available. This was a pool view King and it has many issues.

First, it stinks. I know there is a water park here and it gets wet in the rooms from time to time. But I have never had this issues before. It reeks of mold and mildew.

Second, being an accessible room also means that the sink counter top in the bathroom is far too small. I understand the need for space in this type of room, but it is REALLY small.

Third, the AC is nowhere near able to keep up with my attempt to dry out the air in the room. I have ti set to 65 and it gets no better than 74.

Aside from what is happening in the room, the free fruit in the lobby (normally a GREAT bonus) is all unripened, the breakfast buffet is flavorless this time and the Internet speed, normally blazing fast (tested with Speedtest.net to be 10MB+ upload and download) seems to now be throttled to 1.2MB. Plus, they have disconnected the wired access so there is no hope for better speed. I stay for business so the Internet speed is critical to me, and frankly, it is the main reason why I have previously loved this hotel.

I also asked for a late checkout and my request was denied without discussion. That is the first time that has ever happened at any hotel, and I stay in a lot of hotels.

So now, I am left with a really bad taste in my mouth about this hotel. Some of it because of the room choice, some of it =, in fairness, probably because it is full. There are many other choices in the area and I feel it is time for me to check some of those out. I will stay here again, but only with reservations well in advance and a specific choice of rooms opposite the pool (no pool view).

Cheers!

Room Tip: Avoid pool view! Rooms are very humid.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Y2kc5oh
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Downtown
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Downtown
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot

Been to Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!