“Great facilities, same dining problem”

Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel
Ranked #11 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Eastern Iowa
“Great facilities, same dining problem”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed here mid March 2012 for spring break. We stayed two nights and spent most of our time at the Mall of America. We had a room with two queen beds, pretty much a basic hotel room. The room was fine, the beds were pretty comfortable. The bathroom was acceptable, the shower was a little bit small and the water pressure was a little bit weak, but it still got the job done. Our only problem, yet again, was the breakfast area. There's no rhyme or reason to this area, everyone shows up at the same time, there's not enough seating or enough chairs. We didn't even bother, we walked down to see the area..and quickly changed our mind and headed to the Mall of America for their little donut stand. Sure, it's not free, but nothing is worth trying to fight for a seat and food with two children. So ideally these hotels would come up with a solution that allows everyone they've booked to actually use the free breakfast, but that seems pretty unlikely. My perspective is that I just don't get to enjoy that perk, and while I with the room was a little bit cheaper since I can't use the breakfast area...I try to just not worry about it. The pool area was fantastic, the girls loved it and the zero entry smaller kid area was really great for my not-ready-for-big-pools swimmer. They really had a great time. One other thing - the line to check in, on a Sunday afternoon, was pretty long.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor if you can, so you don't have to worry about the stomping from anyone comi...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
Fall River, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 19, 2012

First of all, let me preface this review by stating that I swore off all Best Westerns after a bad experience I had at one in Tampa, FL (it was my very first TripAdvisor review). However, when choosing our accommodations for our Mall of America trip, TripAdvisor reviews for this property were excellent. Since the hotel came with free breakfast, looked decent enough, and was cheaper than the property we initially planned on staying in (Radisson) I relied as always on TripAdvisor's opinion, overcame my Best Western phobia, and booked the property for myself, husband, 16 year old son and 16 year old nephew. We were not sorry.

The shuttle picked us up at MSP Airport within 10 minutes of calling. We got into Minneapolis at 10:40 AM, and the hotel had our room ready. We were able to check in early and settle in the room by 11:18 AM. The hotel lobby and rooms were clean and tastefully decorated in warm, earthy brown tones. Our room, which had 2 very comfortable queen beds and a sofabed, was very adequately sized for us and also included a 42" flat screen TV.

The shuttle not only takes you to Mall of America; it will take you anywhere you need to go within a 5 mile radius of the property. (You could walk to Mall of America but we were a little iffy about crossing the highway). The shuttle brought us to Culver's one night for frozen custard sundaes, and brought us to the 28th Avenue station to catch the train into Minneapolis and St. Paul. Thanks to this amenity, we were able to save about $200 on a rental. (As an aside, the Minnesota Metro Transit is excellent public transportation; for $6.00 you can ride the buses and trains for a 24 hour period. The train will take you right into downtown Minneapolis; and if you want to visit St. Paul, just take the train to the Airport-Lindbergh Terminal 1, and then pick up Bus 54, which takes you right into downtown St. Paul).

The breakfast was quite enjoyable; it included scrambled eggs, sausage biscuits and gravy, cheese omelets, sausage links/sausage patties, hash browns/oven roasted potatoes, tropical fruit cups, yogurt, cereal, breakfast pastries including muffins and cinnamon rolls, and a make your own waffle station, which included flavors like chocolate and strawberry. Coffee, tea, milk and juice rounded out the beverages. There were also large bowls of fresh fruit containing oranges, Granny Smith apples and bananas which remained available throughout the day.

Although I did not use the pool, my husband and nephew did and commented it was nice. My husband also took out some chicken wings from the connecting restaurant, La Rossa, and said they were delicious.

The only thing that I found a little strange was that the staff was very reluctant to put our luggage in the baggage storage room while we were eating breakfast before we left for the airport. When I asked them to do so, the response was "Can you hang onto it for a half hour or so?", with no elaboration as to why the luggage could not be stored. I thought it was weird but I didn't explore it further, and kept our luggage with us while eating.

All in all, we would not hesitate to stay here again if we ever have another Minnesota vacation. Thanks to Kelly, Becky, Eric, Victor, Tim, Matt, Shauna and an older gentleman/shuttle driver whose name I did not get (Ken?), for changing my mind about staying in a Best Western!

2 Thank Southcoaster
Moose Jaw
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Solid breakfast, very comfortable room with great beds. Very close to Mall of America as well. Would stay there again.

1 Thank 5Curtis5
Bellevue, WA
Reviewed April 16, 2012

Convenient location within walking distance to Mall of America, rooms are clean and modern. Definitely family-oriented with a large pool area in center of building. I would not recommend the poolside rooms if you want quiet. Exterior rooms are reasonably quiet.

A few minor quibbles: A) breakfast area gets very crowded to the point of no seats and long waits. B) Guest computers have to be "signed out" from front desk with a portable keyboard, and C) Pool access requires one-time use wristbands, which have to be replenished at front desk.

My general impression is that the hotel is nice, but oversubscribed.

Room Tip: External rooms are quieter. Poolside rooms get all the pool noise.
1 Thank TravelYoda
Brookfield, WI
Reviewed April 13, 2012

This hotel was everything all the reviews said it would be. . .clean, updated and very close to the mall. We didn't even take the shuttle. . .it was that close! We didn't want to pay the extra money for waterpark conveniences. The pool was just a little different than an average pool with a few extras! Everything was wonderful!

1 Thank cdownes
London
Reviewed April 6, 2012

e Best Western Plus is a very nice clean hotel across the street from Mall of America. You can walk to the mall, 10 mins or less, or drive across (2 mins) if you plan to do some serious shopping or a bit lazy (like us).

The check-in was quick and friendly. Walking to the room, the hotel itself seems very modern and well kept. Bowls of fresh fruit available.

I took a trip to the breakfast area one morning which was busy. Everything looked pretty good although I noticed the eggs weren’t ‘real’, which isn’t my thing. Waffle station, bread, juice... the usual nice things. We snacked in the breakfast area and then opted to go to IHOP which is nearby.

The room was very nice, fairly modern with a generous size Panasonic TV, possibly 37”, with a fridge and microwave which came in handy. Bathroom was modern and clean.

We weren’t traveling with young children, but looking at the indoor pool area... I can certainly see that children would have a good time in there. Actually, I am sure they did because we constantly heard a child (or two) running up and down the hallway. Probably from the pool area to their room located on the first floor. That generally happened when the pool was open until closing. That and the occasional toilet flush (powerful) from the room next door were my only minor noise complains. It's a family hotel so children and the noise that they bring is expected.

Housekeeping was efficient.

I would stay here again but there are some new hotels popping up in the area that also look very nice.

Room Tip: If you aren't staying with children, try and get a high floor facing out to avoid the pool traff...
Upper Midwest
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We stayed at this hotel because we were attending a dance competition nearby and we had a wonderful stay! The front desk employees were all friendly and efficient. The rooms are beautiful, the pool area is spectacular and the breakfast was super too, with different flavors of waffles, biscuits & gravy, sausage, mini omelets. The beds were so comforable, I wish my bed at home was like the beds there. When in our room, we also did not hear any noise from neighboring rooms or the hallway. This was one of the best hotel stays we have ever had!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Downtown
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot

Been to Best Western Plus Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!