“Good experience” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #10 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
NW Illinois
“Good experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

We stayed here on our way up to Northern Minnesota and on the way back down and had a pleasant stay. The room is very nice and the bathroom is very stylish. The front desk was understaffed but the people there were very nice. The breakfast selection, quantity and room are WAY too small for a hotel this large. That fact in itself puts a damper on a vacation stay and is somewhat stressful when traveling with children. The pool area was nice although with breakfast taking so long we didn't get to enjoy it for as long as we had hoped. The hotel is right across the street from the Mall of America and is a quick 5 minute walk.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Grantsburg, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

The hotel was great. Our room was exceptional for what we paid. The pool area was fantastic, especially if you have kids 7 and under. Claire at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. My only complaint is that I was woke up from a sound sleep at 11 pm by someone pounding on our door. When I looked out it appeared to be a hotel employee with a bunch of bedding. But because my young daughter and I were travelling alone, I didn't open the door to him. It just didn't seem a smart thing to do. I am assuming that it was just a mistake and he was at the wrong room. But it kind of freaked me out and it took me an hour and half to fall back asleep and then I slept fitfully. It made for a really long day at the mall the next day. And in the morning when housekeeping came, they knocked but didn't give us any time to respond before just opening the door and starting to come in, causing my 6 year old anxiety. And then they basically said it was my own fault for not having the Do Not Disturb sign in our door. It was only 8 am and check out wasn't until 11.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank rachel414
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2011

The Best Western Plus in Bloomington is located close to the airport, and directly across the street from the Mall of America. On arrival I was greeted by the smiling staff, and for my entire four-day stay, those smiles were always there.

The room was generously sized, and beautifully decorated. Also, the bathroom was very stylish, and not your typical US hotel bathroom. There was complimentary wi-fi in the entire building, as well as complimentary breakfast. Though, as a European, I find it a bit difficult to start the day with waffles, white bread and cakes.

There was also an indoor swimming pool, but I didn't have time to check it out.

All in all, this was an enjoyable stay, and I would recommend this to anyone looking for a comfortable and nice hotel in Bloomington, MN.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Kenora, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

Rooms,breakfast area, restaurant, pool, hot tub all new and clean. Staff were mostly pleasant and helpful and having a nice restaurant with good food at reasonable prices and a bar was a bonus after soccer tournaments and shopping at the end of the day! Had lots of laughs with the Bartender, Mike, and management were very kind. Walking distance to Mall of America and IKEA, shuttle service available from hotel to these spots and other spots within a 5 mile radius,Thank you for a great escape!

Room Tip: Poolside rooms were nice but a little noisy, but our room was quiet down the hall from the pool
Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

We had two commitments in the area so called to ask if we could check in early. No problem, we were told. When we arrived at noon, we were told we couldn't check in early. When I mentioned the name of the authorizing party, we were given the room. Immediately, I smelled mildew but, since we had those two commitments, I decided to put that concern on hold. The room was otherwise lovely, obviously recently decorated, and very clean. The next morning, though, I decided two more nights with the mildew wouldn't work so I asked to be put in another room. No problem. No mildew now, just a funky smell which I finally decided was the leather furniture. I decided I could live with that.

We spent three nights in this motel and really liked it.
Highlights:
In the breakfast area, an attempt was made to encourage recycling of the hard plastic dishes. Wish the U.S. overall would get serious about this. Breakfast itself was o.k., though chaotic after 8 a.m.

We didn't use the pool but could see how it would be a draw for families.

The shuttle offered limited service; one time we just walked over to MOA (we're not big shoppers and the weather was o.k.!). The shuttle drivers were courteous and pleasant.

People at the front desk were very busy but helpful in general.

We thought it odd that the maids entered our room at 7:30 when we went to breakfast. That seemed over-zealous. (We usually like to organize our things before the maids come in.) Word to the wise: Put up the "Do Not Disturb" sign before you go to breakfast if you don't want the maids in the room so early.

The Redrossa Restaurant was very accommodating in helping us arrange an impromptu family get-together for 14 people. They graciously tolerated our collective presence for three hours. The food was good. The staff is obviously doing all it can to get this restaurant going. (It opened only recently, I was told.)

We would definitely stay at this motel again.

Room Tip: Be specific about your desire to be near the indoor pool or not.
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dayton, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Great price, great service, great location, great amenities. My family (of five) and I stayed two nights and were very pleased with this hotel. The $104/night rate was reasonable, the staff were very friendly and helpful and the room was clean and modern. The kids loved the large pool area. My only concern would be the breakfast area--it's simply too small to accomodate the large number of guests the hotel accomodates. The area always seemed very crowded no matter when we were there. The hotel also provided on-the-hour shuttle service to Mall of America. We strongly recommend for traveling families.

Ames, IA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2011

We loved this place. If you have kids - ask for poolside rooms. Pool is more suited to younger 3-11 than teens, but pretty nice overall. Decor in rooms is very nice. Small perk for iPhone users - they have an ihome clock so you can hook that up and listen to music. We were able to have wine at the attached restaurant - which was decent - and never even go outside. Oh and you can walk to mall of America, but I think there's a shuttle. Rooms were impeccably clean. Breakfast was fairly typical- waffles, breads, donuts, etc. It can be busy if you're a late riser. Workout room had precor equipment and nothing broken! No complaints.

• Stayed July 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Downtown
Renaissance Minneapolis Hotel, The Depot
Downtown
Residence Inn Minneapolis Downtown at The Depot

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Bloomington Hotel? Share your experiences!