“Filthy hotel and they know it”

Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Muscatine, IA
“Filthy hotel and they know it”
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed for three nights at this hotel. We booked a pool side room because of the photos on the Hilton website. The photos show a modern aesthetic. But we got half of an updated room. The bedroom area was updated but the bathroom was terrible. They were very outdated and the wall paper was stained all over. It was disgusting.

The common areas of the hotel are very worn and very dirty. The carpet was just terrible, so much worse than I expected from a DoubleTree. There was trash on some stairs that was there for two days before someone finally decided to clean it up.

I complained twice to the front desk staff. Both times they kind of looked at each other in silent agreement of my assessment of the hotel. Really what could they say, it was obviously a filthy, worn hotel. I spoke to Kevin and Ryan, and I was told someone would get back to me via email. But of course that never happened.

Do yourself a favor and avoid this hotel.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Zip1098
Lisa I, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South, responded to this review, July 3, 2013
Dear Zip1098,
I'm so sorry you did not enjoy your cabana room, but I appreciate your honest feedback. We strive for continuous improvement and I will certainly share your comments with our Housekeeping department and management team.

If your travels bring you back to Minneapolis, I hope you will give us another try.

All the best,
Lisa Impagliazzo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
Western Michigan, USA
Reviewed June 29, 2013

There was some work being done in the lobby so it looks like there is being some attempts at updating this out dated property. In general the hotel has an 80’s look and feel to it. It’s very large with a huge lobby area and large pool and restaurant area. Also the rooms are large although the bathroom in my King room was somewhat average in size. There are certainly signs of wear on the doors and walls so upgrades need to be made. All in all this is an average to slightly above average hotel that if you get a deal and can save some money, it’s worth the stay. It was clean and the King bed was very comfortable. I did leave this hotel with a good impression of the staff. Everyone I came into contact with was professional and friendly including the front desk staff, restaurant staff and housekeeping. The wifi was a bit tricky with multiple passwords depending on where you were on the property...not a problem, just unusual

1 Thank candostill
Lisa I, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear Candostill,

Thank you for your review of our hotel. We are so please you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to seeing you the next time your travels bring you to Minneapolis!

Safe Travels!
Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Loud and super crowded, convention going on, lots and lots of people in odd costumes running the hotel up and down. It isn't getting any quieter. Not to mention, the ceiling is coming off, and cracking, the complimentry hairdryer overheats and there is a piece missing from the faucet.Oh, and my sheet has a stain i sincerely hope isn't blood on it. Gross. I was told this was an upgraded room in a area away from the convention. They are everywhere,, And parking sucks. I would upgrade for some quiet but i dont think it exists. Terrible experience, Will never stay here again, Epic fail Priceline, Time to use a different service.
hotel
. cant wait for my trip to end.

Room Tip: My room in the north tower is super loud.
1 Thank Tina K
Dear Tina K,
I'm sorry you were disappointed in your experience with us. We did have a large convention in-house and it sounds like we were unable to give you the personal attention you deserved. For that, I apologize.

I do , however, invite you to try us again as I do not believe your stay was indicative of what we truly offer our guests. Please feel free to contact Rachele, our Director of Guest Relations, should you decide to give us another try.

Saukville, United States
Reviewed June 27, 2013

This is a very nice hotel and a great value for your money. We would not hesitate to stay here again if we ever come back to the St Paul MN area again. This is in a great location in the St Paul/Minneapolis area.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

1 Thank Mark H
Dear Mark H,
Thank you for your review - we are so happy you enjoyed the hotel!
We certainly hope to see you again next time you are in town!

Safe Travels!
Punta Gorda, Florida
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for our grandaughters graduation and it was very close to their house so very convenient. The rooms are redone and nicely done. The room could have been cleaner. Very clean and comfortable bed though. Rooms are small.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank reino66
Dear Reino66,

Thank you for your review and "congratulations" to the graduate! We really appreciate your feedback as it only helps to make us better - I will certainly share your comments with our housekeeping department!

We hope to see you again the next time you are in town!
York, Nebraska, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

was at this complex for a business meeting. I spent 3 nights and all were great. quiet and clean. easy access to all parts of complex.

Friendly staff and good food. great place to have conferences, staff really takes care of guests. Would definitely use it for retreats or business meetings

1 Thank bbiii
Lisa I, General Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
We are delighted that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel! We have worked hard to continually improve our service and we appreciate the great comments about our staff. We look forward to being of service to you again in the near future!

Best Regards,
Minnesota City, Minnesota
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We are staying here on a impromptu mini vacation while power is restored to our neighborhood. We have a 2nd floor pool room overlooking the odd and spartan banquet area adjacent to the pool.

Pluses:
Big balcony
Good beds
Good tv channel choices

Minuses
Pool area is extremely loud with many many little children playing in it until 11 pm when it closes. The door and windows on these units need better soundproofing.

Carpet in room is very stained.

Room walls painted a depressing grey. My wife calls it business modern. I call it depressing grey and when i travel for business, I like warm happy colors. 1 small odd piece of art on the wall - goes well with the depressing grey....

Bathroom itself is very small, however there is an ante room with closet adjacent. Great potential for remodeling in the future.

Pool side suites are rented out for kid parties, resulting in a very very crowded pool on the Saturday we were there. Whirlpool is huge but mainly filled with 2 - 4 year olds, many with swim diapers and many whose parents are somewhere off doing something else. That is why the chlorine levels are so high. Fairly toxic fumes as the previous reviewer noted. It would be great if they had two whirlpools - one for the kiddies and their parents, and another for adults only (a make that one hotter).

The lobby is modern but also stark and filled with that odd cold fluorescent lighting that makes everyone look pale. Lots of places to sit but very few people actually ha g out there. The restaurant/bar is better but still carries that industrial minimalist motif that I do not personally care for.

Overall, not a bad place, but sad because it could be so much better for not that much of an investment. The hotel needs to add a lot more vegetation to the pool/banquet area, hire a color consultant and do some painting/redecorating, get more comfortable patio furniture for the poolside rooms, get new carpeting in the pool rooms and halls, replace the doors and locks (in bad shape now). Well okay perhaps the investment needed is a bit more. Start with the color change and the plants.

Location for those without a car is okay - there is a TGIFridays next door, along with a DQ, Burger King, Subway, caribou coffee, pizza place and convenience store all in a little strip mall out the back side of the hotel. With a car Southdale mall is a 5 minute drive and. TheCentennial Park shopping and park area is also very close. You can rent paddle boats and play putt putt golf there.

Room Tip: Pool rooms get lots of noise from pool, chlorine smell and are dark due to no outside windows, but h...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank auroraclubjazz
Dear auroraclubjazzz,
Thank you so very much for the specific feedback regarding your stay. It is always helpful to know what our valued guests think of our facilities. Your through review is much appreciated!

Again, thank you!