“Good hotwire hotel for $75 total.”

Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Good hotwire hotel for $75 total.”
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Booked on hotwire for $63. Busy weekend, hotel sold out.
Checked in early, to try to snag a king bed room. Was told that only twin doubles available. Room was on an upper level corner.
Very quiet location. Room was half renovated. New HDTV. New beds. Old bathroom & carpeting. Mismatched desk & lighting.
Room size was great, but plenty of empty space. Worst thing was the wifi. They try to be sneeky. Charge you $15, if you log on.
Noticed they asked for the room # and clicked no. Parking was tight. Seems like they want you to pay for valet. We ate at Fridays, across the parking lot. Overall, it was a good deal, for what we paid. But 3 1/2 star hotwire rating, is a total joke.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed August 23, 2012

The hotel lobby is very clean and the rooms were the same for the most part. There were a few long hairs left in the bath tub, but nothing that couldn't easily be rinsed down and forgotten about. There were some incredible sunset views from our 21st floor west facing room! The pool area was full of kids every time we went down there, but they all were having fun just like I used to do when I was a little tyke so you just dealt with it! This hotel has by far one of the largest hot tubs I have ever seen for a hotel! Could easily fit 20+ people in it! Overall a nice hotel with a friendly staff!

Room Tip: Gorgeous sunset views from the 21st floor west facing rooms!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dubuque, Iowa
Reviewed August 21, 2012

The rooms were clean (I did use baby wipes to clean what looked like Cheeto smears off the wall), but walls were scuffed and chipped. Double beds were comfortable. Towels were wonderful., especially the ones by the pool. Pool was nice, but BEWARE, the deck is the most slippery thing I have ever encountered. The Einstein who designed it used SMOOTH tiles. They get wet and it is like walking on ice. To make matters worse, the deck slopes toward the pool. My kids fell several times walking very slowly. Even wearing shoes is not helpful. Hot tub was grotty in the corners and lukewarm. Housekeeping was responsive and polite. Front desk was polite, but not overyly helpful. Bartender was great. Best I have ever had, actually. But beating the fruit flies off my drinks was a bit wearing. We were told they had "bombed" the place, but the pesky fruit flies kept coming back in force. I would probably give it a slightly lower rating, but we got it pretty cheap through a third party site. Would prefer the Sofitel next time, but wouldn't skip a trip if only Doubletree was available.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 20, 2012

I had the opportunity to stay in the DoubleTree hotel in Bloomington for eight nights. This is a large hotel which can cater to conferences and other groups. I was travelling on my own.

The hotel is undergoing some renovations, but the work was unobtrusive, and my room had already been renovated. And that renovation was well done. My bed was wonderfully comfortable. The air conditioning kept the room cool, even on hot and humid days, The bathroom was well-appointed with a great shower. The closet and large drawers provided more than ample space for the clothing I was carrying.

I had purchased a breakfast option with my room and was happy that I did. It was extremely good value. If you have a breakfast buffet, the cost is only $13.00 which in my experience is quite low, especially since the food on offer was fresh and tasty.

Room service arrived as promised and was well prepared.

I used the gym a few times. It was filled with modern equipment and never crowded.

The rooms did not contain a mini-bar or refrigerator (although one is available if requested). Nor was there a safe in the room.

All the staff whom I encountered were friendly and helpful.

The desk work area is large and well designed. Wireless internet is available in your room, although this hotel continues to charge for it; about $11.00 per day without any discount for multiple days.

The location is extremely convenient to most areas in the Twin Cities and will be even more convenient when road work on the major freeway is completed (is highway work ever completed?).

I'd stay here again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I stayed at the DoubleTree for 5 days with a small group for an event. The rooms are small and the bathrooms are even smaller. There is no room to set down a hair dryer or curling iron; it will end up in the sink. You cannot stand at the bathroom counter without bumping into the toilet. The toilkets are old; they have the flush handles in the back of the toilet, like a public toilet has. Many of the hotel's guest were children on sports teams, who had no supervision. They were there with their team coaches, so there were 1-2 adults for a team of 15 kids. They sat in the hallways which made walking through the hallways difficult. They were noisy during most of their stay. When I called the Desk to complain, the Desk sent one security person who was connected with the sports event.

The public bathrooms are also in need of remodeling, Many of the locks do not work. The paint on the doors is chipping. The hotel has a large pool and whirpool. (I remembered the whirlpool being the largest I had ever seen when I stayed there 25 years ago). The water was warm. On two mornings the whirlpool did not work though. The continental breakfast in the dining room was fantastic, and well worth the $9.00 charge.

I found the staff to be pleasant and helpful.

Room Tip: The even-numbered rooms I learned are larger than the odd-numbered rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Providence,RI
Reviewed August 12, 2012

Stayed here for 6 days recently. It is in a location not far from the mall of America & the airport. Room was ok. Response to problems in room quick. HUGE pool & hot tub. Part of the problem here is that the hotel is very large and impersonal. Lots of conventions/conferences. Staff preoccupied with servicing large numbers of people, and some were testy at times when asked for info. Transportation thru shuttle not always reliable or on time. If I stay there again, I hope that it is in a slower season, not so many conferences.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

I booked this hotel recently for a work trip through my company's travel agency, picturing it to be your standard Doubletree hotel - that it is not. This is a huge (and old...) conference hotel. Most of the staff was busy helping check in the conference-goers when I got there. It was not a big deal since I was not in a hurry, but it was not what I was expecting. The room had nice fixtures and semi-updated bathrooms but not nearly enough lighting if you are arriving at night. I think I will find a more "standard" Doubletree (or similar) next time I go up north.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business