“This is NOT a 3.5 star hotel!”

Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed November 17, 2011

I got a good deal on hotwire and after reading reviews I wanted to make sure I got in the newer part of the hotel. Upon arrival I asked the young man checking us in if we could please have a newer room. Now keep in mind this was a Wednesday night and the parking lot was maybe 1/4 full. He told me sure, but the newer rooms are bigger so I would have to pay another $25! I said "forget it". With that said he put us in room 1102. We walked into the horrible smell of smoke and mold! We tried to call down to the desk but the phone didn't work so I called from my cell. We then got room 1406 which didn't smell but had stains on the carpet, peeling paint off walls and not what you would expect from a 3.5 star hotel. There wasn't even extra toilet paper so we had to use kleenex! The only good part was the beds were comfortable BUT walls are paper thin so you can here everything in the halls and other rooms. BEWARE if you use priceline or hotwire because you will get the old crappy rooms!

Room Tip: Don't stay unless you can be in the new part.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank LfromMN

Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is the first Hilton brand hotel that I've stayed in where I thought the cleanliness was poor. Not the same standards as other Hilton brands. Crumbs were over the desk and the shower and toilet area had not been cleaned. The longer I stayed in the room, the more I noticed the below par cleaning. Everything else about the hotel was fine, the staff were friendly and the pool area was large.

Room Tip: stay away from the pool if you want a good night sleep!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Warminmn
Reviewed November 11, 2011

I booked through priceline for 45 a night. Considering the price not bad at all. Standard rooms and a regular lobby...nothing fancy. About 10 min drive from mall of America.

• Stayed: November 2011
Reviewed November 11, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for one night recently. Our 3 rooms are close to the indoor swimming pool - this turned out to be a big problem later. Around 12:30am, we were waken up by very big noise from outside. It seemed that there was a big Halloween party (although Halloween already passed) just in the indoor pool area. Many people kept loudly speaking, singing, screaming and applauding. All my family members in 3 rooms were disturbed very much, and my baby was scared and kept crying. At 1:30am, I called the hotel hotline and complained the noise to the hotel staff. The lady confirmed there was a party in the pool area. She apologized and said the party was supposed to end before midnight and she promised to have the hotel security to stop them soon. However, this promise was never realized and the noise lasted until 5am!!! Then at 7am, early swimmers began using the pool, and new noise appeared again. A sleepless night for all of us! The following morning, my father, mother-in-law and baby were sick due to the bad sleep. We had to cancel our planned incoming trips and returned home early. We have stayed many hotels before but never met a problem like this. This horrible hotel stay just ruined our planned vacation. In short, we have experienced the worst hotel that we have ever experienced. I filed a complaint on the hotel website but received no response.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel, unless you would enjoy a sleepless night with big noise
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank timic99
Reviewed November 1, 2011

Reserved and prepaid for this room on the Doubletree website for a 1 night stay to visit my fiancee's family and check out a play at the Guthrie Theater and shop at the Mall of America. This hotel was recently converted to a Doubletree and is undergoing renovations. It was until recently a Sheraton. Upon entering the hotel I was greeted promptly and given a free upgrade to a room on the newly renovated 17th floor. Check-in was quick and the famous Doubletree cookie was warm and delicious.

The room had a super comfortable king size bed. I swear I could just live in the beds they have at Doubletree hotels. Also in the room was a large flatscreen television and a spacious desk with a comfortable office chair. The bathroom had a shower with awesome water pressure (especially for being on the 17th floor). The large window in the hotel room let plenty of light in and had a great view of the surrounding area. I especially liked being able to see the downtown Minneapolis skyline in the distance... It was a really cool sight at night as well.

There is a large indoor pool and a 20 person hot tub in the hotel as well. It is in the low-rise part of the hotel and has yet to be renovated. They were both nice, but showing a bit of age. Across from the hot tub there is a fitness center that had what looks like brand new exercise equipment.

There are a couple restaurants in the hotel, as well as a bar. My fiancee and I did not dine in any of them, but I did order breakfast from room service and must say that it was delicious. I recommend the pancakes! If you choose not to dine at the hotel, there is a TGI Friday's across the parking lot and a KFC. Across the street from the hotel there is a Chilis as well.

The location is right off of Interstate 494 about 10 miles from downtown Minneapolis and 5 miles from the Mall of America and Minneapolis-St Paul International Airport.

Overall, this was a great hotel and I will stay there again in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: Get a room in the high rise tower. The views are nice and the rooms are newly renovated!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 31, 2011

We very much were impressed with this hotel when we walked into the lobby. Very spacious, bright and sparkly clean. Front desk staff very friendly and accommodating. Our room had windows the entire width of the room overlooking the city - lovely. We kept the curtains open as long as we could so we could enjoy the view. The room was cozy, bed was fabulously comfy, lovely king size with squishy pillows (a ton) and bright white bedding. Towels were large and heavy. Everything was very clean and enjoyable, including the pool and large hot tub. Even the plumbing was extra quiet with no clanking or cold water spurt surprises sometimes experienced in our stays in other hotels. Overall we loved this place and will definitely return. Hope to snag another deal on Priceline! The only negative comment I could have, which is minor compared with all that we enjoyed, is a free continental breakfast or grab-n-go would put this on the top of the hotel pile. Traveling with a family this would be a cost saver we would enjoy. However, there is a very nice restaurant on site and a TGI Fridays and DQ next door. Convenient location and very nice sleep. Thank you, Doubletree! Love the cookies!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2011

This hotel has a pool in the indoor courtyard. It was so loud it was ridiculous. Envision small children screaming until 11:00 pm. And I had three of my own small children with me! It was like torture the noise level from the pool. I'll never stay there again

• Stayed: October 2011