Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South
Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Des Moines, Iowa
“Inconsiderate”
Reviewed September 29, 2011

I checked in on a Friday, pulled the covers back on the bed and found 2 small dead bugs. I informed the management who moved me to a new room. I did not think they were bed bugs, but I'm not an expert so I asked them to let me know what the bugs were when the exterminator showed up. When I checked out on Sunday I again asked them to let me know what the bugs were as I would leave my clothes and suitcase out in the garage until I was informed. I was assured that I would be notified immediately on Monday. I was never called. I finally called at 3:30 on Monday and spoke with the head of housekeeping and was told "Oh yeah, Orkin was here this morning and said they were just bugs, not bed bugs." I asked, when was I going to be notified and he responded "Sorry." I never created a big scene and asked for a free night or anything like that. All I wanted was a little common courtesy, to be notified of the results of the exterminator visit. They couldn't even do that. I also contacted corporate who guaranteed that I would be contacted within 72 hours by the manager of that hotel. I'm still waiting.

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank Deb B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 27, 2011

Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed September 19, 2011

During my stay the staff were friendly, professional, and efficient. That was the strong point of the stay. The hotel is pretty tired. The carpet in my room was worn, the walls were marked, and damaged, and the design was from an earlier era of hotels. My room was also tucked away near the indoor swimming pool and the noise was a bit much due to buoyant attendees at a conference. The free internet did not work (normally a plus for Doubletree properties). Breakfast can also be a bit steep e.g. $4.00 cup of coffee (not a latte just filter coffee). When taken in total the steep price did not justify the value received for the stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Duluth, Minnesota
Reviewed September 19, 2011

We got our room through priceline and got a very good deal on it, which was great because we were doing a long weekend on a budget and I was terrified we were going to end up settling for a really terrible hotel far away from where we wanted to be. Not the case.

This place is really lovely- you can sense a bit of it's age in places, but everything I saw in the lobby, halls and our room was very tidy. The bedding was purest white and so it would have been pretty obvious if it hadn't been changed- so you can check (and I did) and know for pretty certain. The bathroom was a tad small- but really, what do I need with a huge bathroom? The bathtub was plenty clean and comfortable so that after a long day of walking I was able to soak my feet and read for a while. There was not a terrible lot of lighting in the room-- except the bathroom- which was very well lit. For a place to sleep and change, not bad at all. I do prefer bright light-- so I had our window open and that worked during the daytime-- if you close the curtains, you can block out the sun and lights outside very well. The TV was large and nice-- but we didn't really use it.

But really-- the highlight of the room was the bed. Six pillows on it, 1 extra in the closet. The bedding, mattress and pillows were all soft and extremely comfortable. I'm not sure that I've slept that well ever in my life. I teased my husband that I was going to "take the bed home with me".

They do lack a complimentary breakfast-- I recommend hitting up Hell's Kitchen if you haven't already. Their breakfast options are incredible. My favorite is their cornmeal pancakes topped with berries. Going there, you may even be grateful that you were forced to find another option for breakfast. Also, I guess that the Original Pancake House in Edina is very highly rated. We didn't end up going there, but I plan to the next time we're in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
DoubletreeBloom, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South, responded to this review, September 29, 2011
Thanks for the kind words. Want to let you know that we hear you about the property needing a little TLC. We are in the final design stages for our rooms and public areas. There are a lot of exciting transformations to the entire experience of our hotel in the next 12 months.

We look forward to hosting you again.

P.S. Of course we want you to dine with us, but we love Hell's Kitchen too! A favorite is the lemon ricotta pancakes.
Reviewed September 15, 2011

My family stayed at this hotel for five nights via Priceline bidding. Beforehand, I had done my research on the area properties that participate in Priceline bidding via biddingfortravel.com. Due to the mixed reviews here on Tripadvisor, I was really hoping for one of the other properties in this zone, and was a little anxious about our stay, but we had a very good experience.

We stayed in a 10th floor room with two double beds. It wasn't particularly large, but was similar in size to rooms at Courtyard by Marriott and Holiday Inn Express in which we have stayed. I have very high standards when it comes to cleanliness of hotels, and I found the room to be more than adequately clean.

The beds were fabulous: Soft, smooth linens and fluffy comforter and pillows, and a very comfortable mattress. I don't usually get great sleep away from home, but with the exception of the first and last nights (when the surroundings were less familiar or I was a little antsy about traveling), I had some of the best hotel sleep. Ever.

Noise-wise, we did hear some, but it wasn't particularly bad. More than one reviewer said that the walls were paper-thin, but we didn't find this to be the case. In fact, our room was next to the room with the ice machine and vending machines, and the only time that I remember hearing the ice machine was when I knew that my husband was next door getting ice. The toilet was very loud, but otherwise, all of the plumbing worked well and there was no problem with water temperature in the shower.

The wi-fi was great -- much faster than any hotel wi-fi that we have ever used. The flat-panel TV was also great -- it was probably a 32 inch, so nice and big. The Lodgenet (pay-per-view) service appeared to be in high def, but the cable channels were not.

The hotel is obviously older, but I have to say that (unless his/her room had never been updated, ever) the reviewer who said that the decor came out of the '70s was really exaggerating, or maybe isn't old enough to recognize true '70s decor. While the decor isn't highly modern, I am guessing that it has been updated sometime in the last five years or so. The furniture is still in very good shape.

That being said, there were a few things that resulted in my overall rating being very good as opposed to excellent: There were several dark stains on the carpet. The bathroom also showed more wear than the rest of the room: The grout was stained (but clean), and the sink vanity was cracked and stained.

We swam at the pool between 9:30 and 11 p.m. on Sunday and Monday nights and on Sunday, there was one other family there, and on Monday, we were the only ones there. The website lists a children's play area next to the pool, which consists of some Little Tikes items (a playhouse, etc. -- suited for very small children).

We didn't have a need for much interaction with the desk staff, but the few interactions we had were good. I called a couple of times before our stay and the woman I spoke with was very friendly.

I would go back, particularly for the great deal we got on Priceline.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
winnipeg
Reviewed September 14, 2011

This hotel was one of the best hotels I've stayed in. although it's rated as a 3 and a half star hotel, it's definitely a 4 star in disguise.

The friendly staff and service was above and beyond what I had expected.

The free hourly shuttle to MoA was extremely convenient. The front desk was very kind and respectful. I had a great view from my room on the 11th floor.

The pool and hot tub are large and can accommodate many people so you don't have to feel cramped sitting shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of strangers.

I will definitely be going back there any time I'm in town.

also... you get warm chocolate chip cookies when you check in... yum!

• Stayed September 2011
Roland, OK
Reviewed September 13, 2011

Pro's: Convenient distance from the mall, downtown and the airport; free wi-fi; free parking; large closets, good bed linens; comfy chair and ottoman; good hdtv.

Con's: Small bathroom; noise from halls and other rooms; finicky a.c.; dated feel.

We can't complain too much because we got this place on the cheap through priceline. They gave us a double room and couldn't / wouldn't accomodate us with a king, but we know the risk with priceline. Had we paid $150 +, this review would not be so nice.

The hotel is showing it's age, but I assume Hilton is going to throw some cash at it. It has a very wierd layout from the moment you pull in. You have to make several turns to get to the lobby door and nearby parking. It almost seems like the front is at the back. I think they are in the process of resurfacing their parking lots and driveways -- at least I hope so because right now there is loose gravel on all the surfaces. Not a big deal on this trip but it could scuff the ladies' shoes or otherwise make a mess in rainy weather. A little insulation, paint and carpet will go a long way. I didn't hang around the lobby too much, but it seemed to be in decent shape. Front desk folks were niether rude or nice, just sort of "there". The wifi was easy to connect to and we had an excellent signal the entire stay. Way too much noise out in the hall and some wierd sounds from the plumbing at the worst times.

We've always had good luck with Doubletree and I look forward to visiting this hotel again. I would bet that Hilton is going to do some major upgrades.

Finally, one for the entire Doubletree brand: how about some milk with those cookies :-)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple