“better than I expected” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #24 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
winnipeg
“better than I expected”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2011

This hotel was one of the best hotels I've stayed in. although it's rated as a 3 and a half star hotel, it's definitely a 4 star in disguise.

The friendly staff and service was above and beyond what I had expected.

The free hourly shuttle to MoA was extremely convenient. The front desk was very kind and respectful. I had a great view from my room on the 11th floor.

The pool and hot tub are large and can accommodate many people so you don't have to feel cramped sitting shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of strangers.

I will definitely be going back there any time I'm in town.

also... you get warm chocolate chip cookies when you check in... yum!

• Stayed September 2011
      Location
      Rooms
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Roland, OK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2011

Pro's: Convenient distance from the mall, downtown and the airport; free wi-fi; free parking; large closets, good bed linens; comfy chair and ottoman; good hdtv.

Con's: Small bathroom; noise from halls and other rooms; finicky a.c.; dated feel.

We can't complain too much because we got this place on the cheap through priceline. They gave us a double room and couldn't / wouldn't accomodate us with a king, but we know the risk with priceline. Had we paid $150 +, this review would not be so nice.

The hotel is showing it's age, but I assume Hilton is going to throw some cash at it. It has a very wierd layout from the moment you pull in. You have to make several turns to get to the lobby door and nearby parking. It almost seems like the front is at the back. I think they are in the process of resurfacing their parking lots and driveways -- at least I hope so because right now there is loose gravel on all the surfaces. Not a big deal on this trip but it could scuff the ladies' shoes or otherwise make a mess in rainy weather. A little insulation, paint and carpet will go a long way. I didn't hang around the lobby too much, but it seemed to be in decent shape. Front desk folks were niether rude or nice, just sort of "there". The wifi was easy to connect to and we had an excellent signal the entire stay. Way too much noise out in the hall and some wierd sounds from the plumbing at the worst times.

We've always had good luck with Doubletree and I look forward to visiting this hotel again. I would bet that Hilton is going to do some major upgrades.

Finally, one for the entire Doubletree brand: how about some milk with those cookies :-)

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Rooms
Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

I've stayed at many of the hotels in Bloomington and this was my first time staying at this location. It is just ok, I am surprised that this is a 3.5 star hotel. I stayed up in 1505 and the room looks like it is from the 70's. It was very small, bathroom even smaller. Reminded me of a room in NYC or something. I got this room for really cheap on priceline so I guess I can't complain.

Pros - location is good and around lots places to eat etc, comfy bed

Cons - Rooms are very dry, pool area very crowded with TONS of kids in the whirlpool, no towels when I was down in pool area with hot tub being luke warm and very very strong with chlorine. Walls are paper thin and the room decor is very outdated. Small room.

I really didn't have a bad stay, but I really did not have a great stay and really have no reason to want to go back.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank minntwins5
Havelock
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2011

Warm chocolate chip cookies on check-in, coffee pots in the room, comfortable beds, amenities by Crabtree and Evelyn, free internet in room, helpful staff, excellent shuttle service to airport and Mall of America.
A few restaurants within walking distance. One of the restaurants in the hotel is nice and not overpriced.
Negatives: no free breakfast, unappealing looking from the outside.
Conference facilities are excellent. Lots of space with breakout rooms. Nice lunches provided for us (but no dessert, which is great if you want to eat healthy). Wireless network for conference available. High tech ready.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2011

This was actually our second time staying at the hotel but before it was Sherton. Check-in very smooth and friendly service. We got our warm cookies at check-in which was a nice perk. The room was nice and clean. Pool is a good size with a little play area (out of the water) for the little ones which is a nice feature. We got this hotel through Priceline.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Frogger22
San Francisco, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2011

Me and my boyfriend wanted a night to celebrate our engagement, we should of stayed some where else. Demetre checked us in, wow he was not friendly! When he was checking us in he walked over to the printer and had the nerve to talk about us with the other gentlemen that was working at the front desk. I was recommended to this hotel by a freind and I would never go back or tell anyone to stay here. Our room had shampoo all over the shower curtain and mold in the bath tub, I think the only thing that I enjoyed at the hotel was the comfortable bed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeBloom, Manager at Doubletree by Hilton Bloomington - Minneapolis South, responded to this review, August 31, 2011
Hello:

Thank you for taking the time to post your thoughts on Trip Advisor. We sincerely apologize for your recent experience at our hotel. We've sent you a message offline so we can speak with you directly to discuss. Please respond at your earliest convenience.
Winnipeg, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2011

Our family recently stayed for two nights in July. Staff at front desk and bell-hop were very friendly. Room was nice and clean but bathroom needed some work. Toilet was the type you would find in a department store and strangely positioned in bathroom and bathtub tiles were somewhat old and moldy. Beds were very comfortable. Pool was very crowded with kids - must have been some teams there. Second night there was very noisy. Kids in room above us jumping on beds and walking and running around until 2:00 a.m. Called front desk and things quieted down shortly thereafter. Nice to have shuttle bus take us to Mall of America and pick us up. That was great because we're not that familiar with city. Don't think I would pay full price for this hotel but we obtained room through Hotwire so was worth price.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family