I recently spent several nights at the Radisson Blu and there were many positives and a few needs improvements.
Arrival – It is about a $20-25 cab ride from the airport, or a quick drive down 77 just south of 494 on Killebrew. The drop off point is non-descript and since I did not have a car I did not experience any of the issues that others have posted about. On check-in the girl at the front desk did confirm that parking is the most heard complaint. The elevators are located one level up where all the activities are centered. You need your key to activate all floors above 2. There are five elevators and I did not experience any delay at any time during my stay.
Rooms – I reserved a King and that allows for a sitting chair in the room versus 2 Queens. There is a closet, a separate hanging area for coats, two night tables, desk with chair and the aforementioned sitting chair. There is also a small table to place items, this was perfect for room service. The HDTV is attached to the wall and this was the first time I saw an articulating arm...this allowed the TV to swing away from the wall and angle towards the desk, nice job of design. There are plenty of channels on the TV. The desk chair is comfortable but there are only two electric outlets on the desk for plug-ins. The good news is that each night table also has an outlet so overall there are plenty of electric outlets in the room. There are lots of lights in the room and you never experience that dungeon feeling. Under the TV there is a pull out rack for the luggage. It is a nice addition and if you want the traditional fold-out silver pipes, there is a set in the closet. There are plenty of hangers in the closet. An individual coffee maker plus high-end coffees and teas are located in the piece of furniture next to the closet. Drawers for clothes are located in the closet and roll out. All of these made for an incredibly well thought out design. The small bath has a large sink that takes up the entire counter area, a walk in shower and a WC. The shower is European by design, not fully enclosed with a half door. The shower head is a movable rain head on the ceiling, good once you have everything set up but difficult to set up. Good pressure and temperature in the water. Toiletries are high-end.
The “needs improvements” –
• The first is the thermostat. There is a tremendous range between the set temperature and the downside before the heat kicks in. I set the temperature to 74 and it probably ranged from 68-74. The valve on my thermostat was stuck and the first night was very cold. It required three calls to maintenance to properly repair.
• The second is the wifi. In the room there is excellent service, but if you plan on using in a meeting room on 2 or 3 you will experience in/out of coverage. Incredibly frustrating. Understand it is free so hard to complain. The other item is the daily log-in process. The cookie only gives you access for 24 hours and at that time, the internet just shuts off. You have to re-log in to the home page. A little frustrating, they should consider giving an option for multiple days.
• The design of the shower can create issues. Your choice is to walk into the shower with the water “off” and stand against the handle and start the flow or reach into the shower and get drenched with cold water every morning when you turn the water “on.” I thought the former was the better approach. Once the water gets to temperature it was a very pleasant shower.
• The bathroom layout forces you to shimmy around the door to reach the WC. In the middle of the night this is an issue. The location of the shower and the WC should have been reversed.
• The view from an “even” numbered room is horrible, you look at a wall of brick, try to get an “odd” numbered room.
• I wish the room had an ottoman to use with the sitting chair.
Bar / Restaurant – Some of the nicest staff you will ever meet. They could not be nicer. The food is not in the same league. Other than the “Backyard Burger” most of the food is not very good. The pork chop was over-brined, salty, and the sauce was overwhelming, the bacon wrapped quail legs arrived cold, the second batch was properly heated and the flavor was pretty good, although a little salty, and the Flat Iron Steak was so overwhelmed by the seasonings that everyone at our table spent ten minutes removing the seasoning. The burger was delicious and the fries were excellent and the only item I ate during the week that I can recommend.
Fitness Center – One of the nicest I have seen. Located on the third floor it features plenty of high-end new cardio equipment plus lots of machines, and two benches with free weights. They did an outstanding job on the fitness center. The only suggestion would be to have some bottles of water.
The Radisson Blu is a really good hotel, maybe the best in the area. It’s the little things that just seemed out of character given so many perfectly well thought out designs and friendly staff. They set the expectations very high and it was a little disappointing when not everything was in the same league.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Radisson Blu Mall of America is the only hotel conveniently connected directly to Mall of America, the largest indoor entertainment and shopping mall in the United States. Just a short drive from the state capitol in downtown St. Paul and minutes from downtown Minneapolis via the Metro Transit Light Rail, Radisson Blu offers an ideal location among Twin Cities and Bloomington hotels. Rest well in one of 500 fashionable guest rooms and suites, each including premier amenities like Free high-speed, wireless Internet access and room service. If you're looking for world-class cuisine, FireLake Grill House & Cocktail Bar is the perfect place to enjoy a scrumptious meal or gather with colleagues for a delicious microbrew. Keep your workout routine on track in the hotel's fitness center, which includes an indoor swimming pool and a fully equipped fitness room and an onsite spa. The hotel's location at Mall of America offers a highly trained team of event planners available to help you host professional meetings, conferences and functions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Prestigia, Priceline, Hotwire, Agoda, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Radisson Blu Mall of America reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Mall Of America Bloomington, MN, North America