“Really Nice Stay; Now Work on the Little Things”

Radisson Blu Mall of America
Ranked #7 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I recently spent several nights at the Radisson Blu and there were many positives and a few needs improvements.

Arrival – It is about a $20-25 cab ride from the airport, or a quick drive down 77 just south of 494 on Killebrew. The drop off point is non-descript and since I did not have a car I did not experience any of the issues that others have posted about. On check-in the girl at the front desk did confirm that parking is the most heard complaint. The elevators are located one level up where all the activities are centered. You need your key to activate all floors above 2. There are five elevators and I did not experience any delay at any time during my stay.

Rooms – I reserved a King and that allows for a sitting chair in the room versus 2 Queens. There is a closet, a separate hanging area for coats, two night tables, desk with chair and the aforementioned sitting chair. There is also a small table to place items, this was perfect for room service. The HDTV is attached to the wall and this was the first time I saw an articulating arm...this allowed the TV to swing away from the wall and angle towards the desk, nice job of design. There are plenty of channels on the TV. The desk chair is comfortable but there are only two electric outlets on the desk for plug-ins. The good news is that each night table also has an outlet so overall there are plenty of electric outlets in the room. There are lots of lights in the room and you never experience that dungeon feeling. Under the TV there is a pull out rack for the luggage. It is a nice addition and if you want the traditional fold-out silver pipes, there is a set in the closet. There are plenty of hangers in the closet. An individual coffee maker plus high-end coffees and teas are located in the piece of furniture next to the closet. Drawers for clothes are located in the closet and roll out. All of these made for an incredibly well thought out design. The small bath has a large sink that takes up the entire counter area, a walk in shower and a WC. The shower is European by design, not fully enclosed with a half door. The shower head is a movable rain head on the ceiling, good once you have everything set up but difficult to set up. Good pressure and temperature in the water. Toiletries are high-end.

The “needs improvements” –
• The first is the thermostat. There is a tremendous range between the set temperature and the downside before the heat kicks in. I set the temperature to 74 and it probably ranged from 68-74. The valve on my thermostat was stuck and the first night was very cold. It required three calls to maintenance to properly repair.
• The second is the wifi. In the room there is excellent service, but if you plan on using in a meeting room on 2 or 3 you will experience in/out of coverage. Incredibly frustrating. Understand it is free so hard to complain. The other item is the daily log-in process. The cookie only gives you access for 24 hours and at that time, the internet just shuts off. You have to re-log in to the home page. A little frustrating, they should consider giving an option for multiple days.
• The design of the shower can create issues. Your choice is to walk into the shower with the water “off” and stand against the handle and start the flow or reach into the shower and get drenched with cold water every morning when you turn the water “on.” I thought the former was the better approach. Once the water gets to temperature it was a very pleasant shower.
• The bathroom layout forces you to shimmy around the door to reach the WC. In the middle of the night this is an issue. The location of the shower and the WC should have been reversed.
• The view from an “even” numbered room is horrible, you look at a wall of brick, try to get an “odd” numbered room.
• I wish the room had an ottoman to use with the sitting chair.

Bar / Restaurant – Some of the nicest staff you will ever meet. They could not be nicer. The food is not in the same league. Other than the “Backyard Burger” most of the food is not very good. The pork chop was over-brined, salty, and the sauce was overwhelming, the bacon wrapped quail legs arrived cold, the second batch was properly heated and the flavor was pretty good, although a little salty, and the Flat Iron Steak was so overwhelmed by the seasonings that everyone at our table spent ten minutes removing the seasoning. The burger was delicious and the fries were excellent and the only item I ate during the week that I can recommend.

Fitness Center – One of the nicest I have seen. Located on the third floor it features plenty of high-end new cardio equipment plus lots of machines, and two benches with free weights. They did an outstanding job on the fitness center. The only suggestion would be to have some bottles of water.

The Radisson Blu is a really good hotel, maybe the best in the area. It’s the little things that just seemed out of character given so many perfectly well thought out designs and friendly staff. They set the expectations very high and it was a little disappointing when not everything was in the same league.

Room Tip: Ask for an "Odd" Numbered room so you are not facing the bricks of the MOA
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank jfood
Write a ReviewReviews (3,759)

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for one night. The room was nice sized and very clean. The bathroom has some flaws, it had nowhere to put your makeup, etc. Also, to turn on the shower you need to get drenched with cold water. Our view overlooked the mall roof, but that is not a big deal. If you enjoy the MOA this is a perfect place to stay. If you plan on leaving the hotel at all I would stay elsewhere. We were advised if we left that we would not be able to park in the hotel ramp unless we paid $22 valet charge as the ramp was closing. So if you can't get into the hotel ramp you need to park somewhere in a mall ramp. We did have room service breakfast that was average to below average. I would not recommend the breakfast. I would recommend the hotel but only to people who only want to shop at MOA

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrenMarkE
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My sisters, mom and I enjoyed a little bit of a girls weekend stay-cation to celebrate a birthday. It was a comfortable, clean hotel connected to MOA...not a bad deal if you ask me! Since their normal parking ramp was full, valet for $22 was our only option (unless we wanted to park across the street in their overflow parking and haul our luggage across a skyway, which was not something we wanted to do in this cold). We did choose valet, and in the end, was glad we did as it was an easy way to deal with the parking situation. The check-in process was very slow but we checked in on a Saturday so I assume that was why. Also, our room was not ready upon check-in so they offered to hold our luggage while we shopped so they could get the room ready. Not a huge deal breaker for us as the mall was the reason we came in the first place but for someone coming straight off an airplane or from out of town I could see that as being very annoying. The front desk staff seemed overwhelmed and were kind of all over the place but for the most part were welcoming and friendly.The room itself was very modern, clean and up-to-date. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom very nice. Loved having the mall right there and a Caribou as well (which was open early even when the mall wasn't). We did not eat at the restaurant or have cocktails at the bar but it looked very nice from what we could see. Minus the few hiccups upon check-in it was a very nice hotel. I don't know that I would pay the rack rate of $350 a night for a room here but for the price we paid, it was a good hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2014

Came in the late evening to this property on a business trip. Wow! What a beautiful retreat from the winter tundra that it was. The check-in was a little slow, but all else was great. The staff was helpful with transportation.

One challenge was that the complimentary airport shuttle doesn't start until 7am; not helpful for travelers with early morning flights. Had to hire a $30 cab.

Room was great and comfortable. The decor is meant to "wow" and it does. Enjoyed the bar area with a couple of nice drinks and a dinner with colleagues. A nice place to gather and unwind.

I did not have time to visit the adjacent Mall of America, but it would've been so easy with the breezeway connecting the two. Surely something fun for visitors to enjoy.

My room service did take a long time and I had to call to see if they had forgotten my order.

All else was great. Got an awesome rate using Hotwire, searching for "Mall of America" properties! Much lower than booking rack-rate.

Room Tip: This isn't a property for paying for "views." It is adjacent to the Mall of America a...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Our stay at this hotel was very disappointing.

Was it because we used credit card points that we were given a truly dismal room with a view of a rooftop with a spectacularly large vent fan just outside out window? Our problems began with the reservation: it took three calls from me to the hotel staff to confirm that it had been received. It got worse when we arrived. No long-term parking! We would be gone for two weeks, at which point we were booked for the evening of our arrival. No, they do not have parking for more than a night. We could, we were told, drive out car to a off-airport lot, catch the shuttle, and good luck. Having solved that problem, we arrive for check in. How to get to our room? "Go past the big white table and turn left." Wow. Okay, then what? Signs so small that one had to be on top of them to read them. To get to the room, go through a door that looks like an emergency exit. Find the room. The room, just your typical hotel room, this one with a truly terrible view of a rooftop. This for $350.00? The cheap hotel across the street would give me the same crappy room for $89.00, but we got an enclosed walkway to the Mall of America. That justifies the exorbitant cost? Okay, off the bar for a jolt of bracing something. Really, eleven dollars for a lemon drop martini and six bucks for a beer? Okay, okay, okay. It could be worse. Back to the room later that night, good mattress, quiet, but just--as I said--nothing more than your typical hotel room close to the airport. Time to arrange the airport shuttle. You only leave at the top of the hour? Okay, force me to get up thirty minutes before I want to. Okay. We get up, go down to the lobby, look for coffee. You have to be joking, no complimentary coffee after six in the morning. We have to go to the restaurant and sit down for a cup of java? Forget that! We'll hit Starbucks at the airport. For this they charge $350.00 for a bad room at a two-star hotel. Right! They claim to be four-star. We travel a lot, and this is the worst 4-star experience we have ever had.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hans50
Harry G, General Manager at Radisson Blu Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2014

We regret to hear you were not satisfied with the hotel during your stay. We appreciate you taking the time share your experience. Your comments are valued, and your suggestions will be used to consider improvements in the future. We thank you for your feedback and hope you will try us again so we may exceed your expectations.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We had a girl friends weekend at the hotel and greatly enjoyed our visit, including dining at the restaurant. The hotel was able to accommodate our wish to have our rooms next to each other. Everything was clean, modern and very up-to-date. Loved being able to take the skyway to the mall; a Caribou coffee shop is right next to the hotel across the skyway so it was convenient for breakfast. All of us enjoyed our meal at the Fireside Grill restaurant very much. Our server was attentive and friendly. We had a great weekend and would definitely stay there again. Only negative that one of our rooms was overcharged for 3 people although only 2 checked in and paid. I noticed the error and the hotel adjuested the charges; we just had to point out that only 2 had shared the room. Beds were really comfortable and the room was immaculately clean. One room was also able to have late check-out so we all left out things in one room so we could walk around the mall without our coats and winter gear.

Room Tip: We had a room at the end of the hallway which cut down on noise.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rickmarv
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I recently stayed here for 3 nights with my daughter for a girls shopping trip.This hotel was well worth it! We almost stayed at another local hotel, not connected to the mall. I decided to go with Radisson Blu for the convenience of not having to take shuttles or cabs to and from the mall, and am I ever glad I did make this choice! This hotel is beautiful! The staff, from the front desk, to the doormen, to the housekeeping staff were all friendly and professional. The location is prime, as it is connected to the mall and is ideal for going back and forth throughout the day to drop off shopping bags or take a quick rest. The rooms were very clean, with comfortable beds, and a nice, spacious, bathroom. The only thing I would have like to have that we didn't was a microwave in the room.We always had leftovers from dinner at the local restaurants, but no way to heat up our leftovers. Other than that, everything was perfect. I will definitely be staying here again!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family