“Worn out beds and filthy carpets.”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West
Ranked #29 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
“Worn out beds and filthy carpets.”
Reviewed January 14, 2011

Stayed here last night Jan.13 2011 and slept approximately 4 hours. It is very difficult to sleep while
concentrating on not rolling off the bed as the mattresses are finished. The carpets are filthy so we tried to keep our shoes on especially our 3 year old and myself who wear white socks.
We have had no problems with the staff except the clerk I saw at 6 this morning to calmly express my concerns about the beds and the imposibility of a nights sleep.
I was asked if I wanted to check out early which I replied yes and the response was no problem.
I made no mention of the filthy carpets or the two live insects I had to dispose of that I found on the
bathroom floor. WOW!
This hotel was revamped in 2001 and the term that comes to me is PERFUME ON THE PIG!

• Stayed January 2011
JFPBloomingtonMn, Owner at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West, responded to this review, February 9, 2011
I'm so sorry that you were unhappy with your stay here at my family's property and that you left so angry - that should never happen and please accept my apology on behalf of all of us here. I know our staff would've done all they could to resolve this for you if you had expressed your discontent immediately. We have just started completely renovating all of our guest rooms this week which will include new carpet.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Cudahy, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We reserved the 2 bedroom "suite" for my husband, I and our 3 small children thinking that it would be a very family freindly room to stay in. We were unfortunately very wrong. The common area was extremely small and did not even include a table with chairs to eat at. There was a desk with a chair in one of the bedrooms and our 4 year old said we could eat at that table but we would have to take turns. We had to move a chair out of the way just to get the luggage cart in the room. There was no ventalation in the common area and when we turned on the ceiling lights they gave off so much heat we couldn't stand it so we had to leave the bedroom doors open. There was not enough outlets in the kitchenette area for all the appliances so we had to keep un plugging the coffee maker and microwave in order to use them because we did want to keep the refidgerater plugged in. The sink in the kitchenette area drained extremley slow. We really didn't care about the fact that there was a fireplace advertised but we did think that it was funny that it was just a switch to turn on a light behind some fake logs. There was no bath tub in the bathroom just a shower not very good with a 4 year old and 14 month old twins. The bedroom doors were french doors with a very shear curtain not very good for trying get the kids to sleep. My husband and I needed to stay up to get things ready for the next day which was impossible since we couldn't have any lights on in the common area because we wanted the kids to stay asleep. The bedroom with two twin beds in it was, in my opinion, not safe for children. The head boards were attached to the wall but they were for full sized beds not twin beds. The beds were not attached to the head board so they easily rolled around the room. Luckily, we brought pack n plays for the twins. Our 4 year old did fall out of his bed and hit his head on the weird board that was attatched under the head board to the wall. The decor is very dated and very worn. The table by the elevator on the 2nd floor has initials carved in it and looks like people have been setting water glasses on it for years.
We paid $193.00 for this room and it was aweful, a complete and total waste of our hard earned money. It was the smallest "suite" we have ever stayed in.
My husband and I said we wondered what the CEO of Country Inn and Suites would say if they stayed in that "suite". Our guess is that they would be EXTREMELY disappointed.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
I'm very sorry that you were disappointed with our 2 bedroom suite and that we didn't have a chance to make this up to you during your stay. No one should leave our property so angry, disgruntled and vengeful and I'm so sorry that your experience had this effect on you. We are not an extended stay property but we certainly would've tried to accomodate your family better possibly with adjoining rooms or another suite . Since these reviews come through anonomously, we have no way of knowing who you are so that we can make this right. I have gone back through all of our rates for this room over the last 2 months and do not find the rate you were charged. I would love the opportunity to talk with you and resolve this. Please call me at the property. Jami, Owner
Prior Lake, Minnesota
Reviewed October 15, 2010

Booked this hotel for 10 rooms for our extended family to get together to celebrate a birthday. I chose it over several others because of the good prices for what appeared to be nice updated rooms. I couldn't have been happier with my choice. Emily was fantastic in working with me. The rooms, while a little on the small side, were nicely decorated, modern and clean. The decor of the hotel was kind of Italian Villa style. We rented the two King Suites also which were great for the group as we could open the connecting doors and have two large living room areas for congregating. Breakfast was the best of any complimentary breakfast we've ever had, and we've had lots! The shuttle service to and from the airport, around the area worked out well. They were even going to shuttle us over to our dinner Saturday night, but we had enough cars. Didn't get to use the restaurant or bar as there was a wedding. All in all, a great value for a very nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel. My family has owned this property for 23 years and we've all grown up working here. It is like our 2nd home so we take these reviews much more personally than other hotels do. This one made our day! My brother actually designed all the "Italian" touches throughout the property as well as our gorgeous restaurant and event space. Thank you for noticing and again for your compliments! Emily is one of our most outstanding employees and I'm so thankful that you had the chance to work with her in planning your group's stay. We hope to see you again soon! Thank you again for taking the time to encourage all of us with such a positive review! We appreciate you!
Omaha, Nebraska
Reviewed October 12, 2010

Close to mall of america. Nice pool for the kids. We enjoyed the breakfast every day. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Every time I travel to the twin cities I stay here. Be it for business, or with my family. The staff goes beyond what is expected to make sure eveything you need is taken care of. The rooms are always spectacular. The bar / restaurant is a great place as well. The shuttle service can take you anywhere and I have found service to the airport to be the most timely of twin cities hotels.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed October 5, 2010

We booked this hotel on a sale through Travelocity. We chose it based on location to Mall of America, it's features/amenities, and proximity to other attractions. The check in process was great! Front desk agent was fast, friendly and efficient. We had a deluxe king room. The room itself was a little on the small side, but the bed and pillows were great and super comfortable! The room was clean, well laid out, and had everything we were looking for for our stay. The pool area was nice and relaxing. The hot tub was large and comfortable. The adults only swim time between 11-midnght was greatly appreciated and well used! There were always plenty of towels in the pool area when we were there. The complimentary hot breakfast was awesome! Lots of variety for all eating types. Waffles, eggs, sausages, tortillas, cereals, pastries, breads, yogurt, oatmeal, coffee, teas, juices, etc. and was well stocked and not messy or dirty. There were plenty of tables and chairs for everyone at all different times of the morning, so finding a seat was easy. There was a complimentary shuttle available to the MOA that was every 2 hours, but we did not use it. Every question we had, the front desk staff answered them friendly and knew the local area well. The hotel is also easy to get to from 494. We did not use the restaurant or lounge at the hotel, but it looked nice and had daily food and drink specials. All in all, I would definately stay here again, and would definately tell people to stay here. I am not sure why there are bad reviews of this hotel, but try and stay here if you can, you won't be disappointed!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ShannyBear81
princeton mn
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I have stayed here several times when traveling in and out of town. The staff is very friendly and courteous. The rooms are clean and well maintained. Whenever I am in the area this is my hotel of choice!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends