“Great hotel, great price, and a great breakfast!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West
Ranked #30 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed November 19, 2009

We had a really nice stay. All employees we encountered were pleasant, and everything was very clean. We had a good view from the 6th floor and the rest of our room was clean and comfortable. The pool was not huge, but there weren't many other people in it. The hot tub was nice, but there was a lack of clean pool towels. Breakfast was awesome! An array of donuts, muffins, bagels, bread, cereal, juices, fruits (the oranges looked gross, but the apples were yummy!) waffles, eggs, tortillas, and something else hot, but I can't remember. My only complaint (and probably my fault) it was a bit far from MOA(20 minutes), so I think I misunderstood which one it was.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business

Reviewed April 22, 2009

We stayed 2 days. We didnt get the adjoining rooms we requested. There are only 2 passenger elevators and both were slow and sluggish the whole weekend. We were constantly just sitting in them for seconds to minutes. We were on the 6th floor and we were stuck in the elevator with luggage when we left with no response to stress call. We finally got out on 5 and walked the way down. We asked to speak to a manager, there was no manager available. The staff was disrespectful. They said the elevators are overused this weekend and actually was smiling about the whole episode.
The windows in our room were filthy, you could bearly see out of them, there were hooks actually ripped off the wall in the bathroom, so you couldnt hang anything . I will never stay there again.

Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
JFPBloomingtonMn, Owner at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2010

I am so sorry about your experience here at our hotel and truly desire to make it up to you. Our elevators have been repaired since you were here, as well as the other problems you mentioned. My family has owned this hotel for over 22 years and I would like to personally invite you to give us another chance! Please call me at the hotel 952-831-9595 to discuss. Jami

Reviewed February 27, 2009

We stayed at the hotel the night before our flight and left our car there for the week. Our room was very nice and our ride to the airport went well. We did not use any other services at the hotel. Upon our return was another story. We did not call the hotel for the return shuttle until we had our luggage as was directed. The phone was answered with "can you hold?" So there I was - on hold - no one came back to the line. I stayed on my line and so after 15+ minutes passed, my husband then called on his line - he got the same "can you hold?". He held for some time, hung up and called again. The phone rang several times and when picked up said "can you hold?" - he said NO, and then arranged the shuttle to pick us up. I continued on hold all this time. Finally after 30+ minutes went by, my phone was answered. I explained that being on hold for over 30 minutes is totally unacceptable. We waited about 20 minutes for the shuttle to pick us up and take us to our car. I was on hold longer than we waited for the shuttle and dropped off at our car. Not once did anyone come back to me on the phone for over 30 minutes. Had my call been taken when first answered, I would have been in my own car and on my way home in less time than I was on hold.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
JFPBloomingtonMn, Owner at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2010

Hi Jimval: I am so sorry that you had to wait that long on hold...no excuse at all and totally unacceptable. If you are willing to give us another chance, I will give you my personal cell phone number and promise you this will not happen again. Please contact me directly at the hotel 952-831-9595 and I will ensure that your stay is excellent! Jami, Owner.

Reviewed February 24, 2009

We booked online the day before arrival and they gave our room away - so we received an upgrade to a suite for the two nights we were there, for less than $90. Can't beat that!

It's a little confusing to find it from the MOA, and about 15 minutes away - definitely not "across the street" so don't confuse this one from the other CI&S if that's your point in going to Bloomington.

Front staff was a little rude when we called at 11pm to order room service (ends at 10pm).... also rude to a few children who were shivering from the pool & looking for towels. Yes, they were dripping across the lobby and were disturbing to guests, but the attitude they received was snobby!

Hubby wasn't a fan of the pillows - about half the length of a 'normal' pillow, and rather full - his neck cricked from being too 'propped' for two nights.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 29, 2008

My wife and I stayed here as part of a 16-day train trip around the US. My wife wanted to visit the Mall of America and I booked this hotel (it is just across the road from the MOA - and for people who can't manage to cross the road on their own they run a shuttle bus!).
Our train arrived early morning, and by the time we had got to the hotel (after 22-hour train journey across the Prairies from Montana) and faced with a day shopping, we really needed to freshen up. We knew from the booking information that check-in was from 3pm, so we didn't have any expectations when we arrived at 9.30am. We were just expecting to be able to leave our bags and have to come back later. How wrong we were! Absolutely full marks to the receptionist who made us feel welcome, checked us in there and then with remarkable speed and efficiency and directed us to our room. She even pointed out that breakfast (included in the price of our stay) was still being served and we could avail ourselves. So we had one night, and two breakfasts!
We had an excellent room - a 'Two room King Suite' - which cost $154 + tax. There was a sitting room with big flat screen TV, a bathroom, and beyond a large bedroom with another big flat screen TV. No arguing over what to watch on TV!
Needless to say, with such a nice room, I left my wife in the MOA and hid in the hotel room! Shopping isn't my thing, but I certainly did appreciate a very nice hotel room and good service. Well done Country Inn!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 5, 2008

We picked this hotel for our 3 night stay because of its location (between MOA and Valleyfair), swimming pool, hot breakfast and price. The location turned out to be a good choice and we even used their MOA shuttle one day (very convenient and a nice break not to have to drive for once). The swimming pool was a little small but it served its purpose for our 6 year old and it was very nicely decorated. The hot breakfast was great and had plenty of choice for everyone (highly recommended). The price could not be beat for what we received ($75 corporate rate for 2 queens).

The staff were extremely friendly and helpful with all requests. Check in/out was an absolute breeze and took no time at all.

My only real complaint is that the room itself was a little run down with the usual wear and tear and did not match the excellent quality of the public areas. There were only ice machines on the 1st and 5th floors which could be a hassle. We could only get into a smoking room (serves me right for booking so late) but they ozoned the room for us and it was OK. As others have mentioned, the elevators ar run down and need an overhaul (they make some pretty interesting noises...).

We will definately stay again when next in Minni.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed June 21, 2008

We stayed at Comfort Inn & Suites for three days. The staff was great; the hotel was clean and the complimentary breakfast was a nice gesture. Our problem was with the room. Staying on the first floor next to the parking lot was not a good idea. But since I accepted that assignment, it was (as the kids say) "my bad". Our disappointment was in the room itself because of the torn carpet and a mini-fridge that looked like it had the blankety-blank kicked out of it. On the plus side, we had excellent cleaning service. All in all, if the room had been upgraded, it would have been an above average experience "hands down"!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business