“Best hotel staff ever!”

Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington
Ranked #6 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I have stayed at this Hilton Garden for several months a year for the past 10 years and continue to find their staff the most guest friendly and helpful team of any hotel I've experienced. They are responsive to every request and treat my like such a special guest. From the hotel manager to the chef to the roomkeepers to maintenance....everyone is so helpful and willing to do whatever it takes to make my stay comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business

Reviewed June 9, 2011

I stay at this hotel several nights each month. It is always a great experience, the rooms are always clean and in order when I check in, the hotel is always looking great and the parking lot is in great shape even during the winter snow season. This being said, the greatest asset to this hotel is the people. They are really a big family who work together well and never have a negative word to say about the hotel or the other staff members. I stay here often enough so I know the innerworkings of the staff and the hotel, it is a well oiled machine that has overcome several obstacles in the past and I have seen the staff working together to be sure all bases are covered een if there is a sick staff member or someone has a personal issue to attend to.
I enjoy my stays at this hotel more than any other because of the staff from the management team down to the staff cleaning the rooms. The American Grill is well run and operated, from Sue's evening hospitality to Tammy's cheery breakfast environment I can't say enough good things about these employees and the rest of the staff. Front desk employees greet me with a smile and a first name greeting which makes coming here seem like coming home to my family. I actually consider the staff at this hotel as an extension of my family.
Keep up the good work and excellent customer service and you will remain successful.

PS: This is one of the busiest hotels I stay in and has been full throughout the economic turndown that the country has suffered. I attribute this to the excellent management and staff.

Room Tip: Just ask the staff and they will accomodate your.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank gooeysailorman
Reviewed May 29, 2011

I stayed one night for a quick Memorial Day weekend at the mall with my mom and sister. We booked 2 connecting rooms. The front desk staff person at check-in was great. He greeted us nicely, was helpful, and very efficient. My only issue here was that he offered a coupon book and then realized he didn't have any. The hotel is clean, rooms are spacious. Price was fine. THE ISSUES: I didn't receive the breakfast coupons at check-in that were included in the room rate. I happened to see them on someone elses table and went to ask for them. No apologies. The server forgot my Mom's food. When I asked her for it... no apologies. I waited at the front desk way too long on Sunday morning. The computers in the business center were off, I couldn't figure out how to turn them on and the remote printing function didn't work. The mattresses in the room were HORRIBLE. My sister and I woke up with bad back pain. The other room seemed to be ok, so maybe luck of the draw?? Thankfully, I'm not staying another night. The location is ok. But the mall is not nearby. They do have a shuttle but i was glad we rented a car. Free wi fi was good.

• Stayed: May 2011
MSPBL, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2011

I want to thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay at our Hotel. I am sorry we did not exceed your expectations. The service you receive is one of our most essential tools to make sure all our guests expectations are at least being meet if not exceeded and obviously we failed in your situation. We take pride in order to improve our guest services and I am disappointed our team did not show more empathy toward your issues. Your feedback has been received, reviewed and acted upon with our team. Please accept my sincere apologies. Again, thank you for your comments

Reviewed May 23, 2011

I traveled with my son's disabled sled hockey team to Minnesota for a tournament in Blaine. We were skeptical about not staying in a hotel right near the arena, but the small drive to and from the hotel to the rink were worth every minute of the drive. The staff was wonderful and made us feel so welcome. The breakfasts were perfect and the rooms were roomy and clean. Bernie Kelcher helped make the experience problem free by checking in with me right up until our departure date from Colorado to Minnesota. He had our best interest at heart and made sure our stay ran smoothly. The granola bars and water bottles were a perfect snack and bonus to our stay and long days at the rink. Thank you so much for a great experience. If we head that way for another tournament in the future we will stay at the Hilton Garden Inn.

• Stayed: March 2011
1  Thank lorilei7
Reviewed May 2, 2011

I am a Hilton Diamond HHonors member, and my Hilton brand of choice is Hilton Garden Inn. This HGI property is acceptable, but nothing special.

As others have mentioned, while you may be able to see the hotel from the interstate, it's tough to get to it (I had a GPS system which made it easier than it would have been otherwise).

Checking in was a chore. I had reserved two rooms, and had requested both rooms be close to one another and on the top floor (fifth floor) of the hotel. I was assigned rooms on the 2nd and 4th floor. No big deal, but a little irritating, and it was clear that the desk clerk couldn't have cared less.

The hotel is a bit odd. The restaurant area is tiny with the serving/buffet area in a sort of alcove. The elevator lobbies on the above-ground level floors were like closets, the hallways were the narrowest I've ever seen in an HGI, and the rooms themselves were small. All the usual HGI amenities were in each of the rooms and both rooms were clean and appeared well maintained. The HVAC system was anemic.

I've stayed at pretty much every Hilton-flagged property near MSP. If you are not flying into/out of MSP (i.e., driving into the Minneapolis area) then this hotel is perfectly acceptable. On the other hand, if you need/want a Hilton branded hotel close to MSP Terminal 1 (and offering free parking and/or a free guest shuttle) then my personal recommendation is that you stay at the much closer MSP Airport Hilton property rather than at this HGI. That said, I do recommend this HGI property on the basis of it delvering the minimum level of what I expect from the brand.

Room Tip: It's more a matter of luck
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Flying_Lawyer
MSPBL, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2011

While all travelers are important to us and should be treated like welcome guests, Hilton Honors members are especially important to us here. You demonstrate your loyalty to our brand through your travels and we want you to know how much we value your business. We fell far short of our goal during your recent stay and we consider meeting your expectations for the brand as a equaling failure. If we don't exceed your expectations with our outrageous guest service, than we have disappointed you and ourselves. Please accept my sincere appologies and know that your feed back was received, reviewed and acted upon with our team. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed April 10, 2011

I stayed there for 2 days. We hve stayed in many hotels in the area but this is the worst. When I made a reservation they told me that as member of Hilton honors we would be on executive flopr. There is no such thing. They did not give us the pts as could not find anything we drove and reached at midnight with 2 kids
I wanted to checkout late. The man asked me to call in am. I called at 9.told him that my son has been sick at night. He refused a late checkout saying he does not have ppl in room coming but wAnts housekeeping to work. I requested again to no avAil. I wanted to leave my survey but coincidently it was not working on tv. I will not even stay for free next time. I will just have to take my kid sick and drive 270 miles

• Stayed: April 2011
MSPBL, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to pass along your comments to us in regards to your resent stay. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. It is always difficult to experience an illness while traveling and I am disappointed our team did not show more empathy towards your sistuation. We will treat this as a real opportunity for us to learn and share with our team on how are actions and words can impact our guest's experiences with us. Thank you again, for bring this situation to our attention and please acept my sincere appologies.

Reviewed April 4, 2011

Good spot if you need to be in this area. Had room service Nachos were a joke. Can't believe they got out of the kitchen. I think they might have been joking. Had a burger, and it was as burnt as Apollo 1. Don't know who is running the kitchen but it is a joke. My room rate was 179 per night. My fault I got taken. There are a lot of other options in the area. Hate to say it but it is true and I am a Diamond member. Not a good value.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled on business
MSPBL, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis / Bloomington, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2011

I want to thank you for comments to your most recent stay at our hotel. I am very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations with your restaurant experience during your stay .Your feed back is essential in order to be able to improve on our guest services. I will be using this example in our weekly staff meeting with our Food & Beverage Manger & Chef to explain that the little things do matter and how we can improve on food quality & service to prevent these type of experiences happening in the future. Again, thank you for your feed back and for being a loyal Diamond Hilton Honors member.