“Possibly the worst Hotel we ever stayed at!!!!!”

Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bloomington/Minneapolis
Ranked #38 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Central Wisconsin
“Possibly the worst Hotel we ever stayed at!!!!!”
Reviewed February 24, 2011

If anyone gave this joint more than 1 star, they are lying. Floor was not vacuumed. 1 SET OF TOWELS?????? that I would not use to dry a dog with. Sheets had holes in them from being worn out. NOISY! Stay away!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
UP, Michigan
Reviewed February 23, 2011

We stayed here the night before we flew out to Mexico. We traveled with another couple and both of us got double billed for our room. Check your statements........

Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank glocknroll
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We arrived in the evening and were greeted by a friendly, efficient attendant.. Check in was good with the requested first floor room available. That's where the good news ends. The room was OK but you get what you pay for at Microtel. One set of towels in a room with two queen beds, no shampoo or conditioner and a sink plug you had to set by reaching under the sink because the plug pull was broken.
The beds were marginal and I woke several times in the night. There was a strange sound from the climate control when it went on as well.
The HS internet wouldn't connect right away and when I called, the only help offered was a suggestion to come to the lobby. Our room was 30 feet from the lobby! Clearly their signal is not good. We moved the computer to the small desk provided and were able to hook up there, albeit to a weak to moderate signal. The connection was slow and one e-mail sent was not received we found out later.
The "get up and Joe" breakfast was muffins, cereal, bagels and juice. The juice was watered down but the pastries were fresh and tasty.
I would recommend this hotel to someone who is planning to go to the airport which is close by on a morning flight and that's about it. With its poor internet connection, marginal beds and sparse washroom, it is unsuitable for families or business travellers. A real bargain, though, during the week.
Checkout was cordial but not friendly.
We had planned to stay 2 nights but after the first night went to the HI Express down the street.....double the price but worth it. See my other review.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank mannycanuk
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed November 6, 2010

My experience started out when I booked the reservation. The person at this location was efficient and accurate at stating the price and the amenities offered. What I really liked is that this location provided the option to park our car and a free 24 hour shuttle service to the airport. Staying there, leaving our car, and leaving the driving to the airport during morning rush hour only cost a few more dollars than it would have if we would have parked at the airport and paid airport parking prices. They also had a free continental breakfast with lots of quick options. We did not have enough towels in our room when we checked in, but that was okay as that was easy to fix. The lady on duty at the front desk promptly retrieved some for me. The rooms were not sound proof and we could hear people walking down the hall and shutting their doors. It was not a fancy hotel by any means, but was adequate and a good price for what we needed. They also do not have a pool or hottub, which would have been nice, but certainly not necessary.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed August 2, 2010

The Microtel Inn in Bloomington is a 10 to 15 minute walk or a very quick drive to the Mall of America. The Inn was clean, comfy, decently spacious. There was wi-fi, but no fridge or microwave. The television was a flat panel LCD, though the channels took a little time to get used to as they were on two separate feeds (local/cable). While the LCD was HD, the cable was analog.

There is no pool and the continental breakfast is limited to "muffins", oatmeal, two or three types of boxed cereal. For the price, overall, however, I was not disappointed. At the rates I stayed at, if I went to the Mall of America again, I would stay at the Microtel Inn. When I checked in, I was told I got a great deal on the rooms I was staying at, o it possible others may not feel they got such a deal.

The hotel is simple, but a good place to stay if one is looking for a less expensive (not cheaper) place that is close to the Mall of America.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank Yespage
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed July 23, 2010

The Microtel is right on a busline and across the street from Walmart - just in case you need something - and only a mile away from the Mall of America via car or bus. The staff are friendly and helpful. The hotel offers a continental breakfast every morning and several reasonably priced vending machines on multiple floors. The air conditioning works and comes in very handy for hot days during the summer - precisely what it was like each of the three days my friend and I stayed here. I don't think I could have managed without effective AC here. About the only issues I had were that the room was a bit on the small side and that the free high speed internet "in every room" that the website advertised was actually free wifi that never had more than two bars and frequently disconnected on me and my friend because the signal was somewhat weak. But given how cheap this place is per night, I wouldn't complain too much.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
1 Thank Numikins
Winnipeg
Reviewed July 22, 2010

We stayed here in July of 2010 for 4 nights. Overall, we had a good stay. For the price, it was very clean & well maintained. Close to the interstate & the Mall of America which made it very convenient.

The room is small, as other reviewers have mentioned, and the A/C left our room too cold at night (we couldn't find a comfortable temperature), but other than that, no major complaints about the room. We didn't have the free continental breakfast offered, but did go to Denny's in the morning for breakfast which is adjacent to the hotel. The hotel seemed very quiet each night.

Upon leaving, the front desk clerk wasn't too eager to remove the charge for the safe from our bill (we didn't use it, and asked him to remove the charge), so if you don't use the safe, ensure this is deducted from your room before you pay your bill. We noticed this after the fact when we had already paid and he mentioned casually he would remove the charge, not seeming too concerned. Other than that, staff seemed friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank michd76
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Comfort Inn Airport
#40 of 42 in Bloomington
Baymont Inn & Suites Bloomington MSP Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
Courtyard Bloomington by Mall of America

Been to Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Bloomington/Minneapolis? Share your experiences!