“Comfortable and Convenient!”

Ranked #16 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Wisconsin
“Comfortable and Convenient!”
Reviewed September 29, 2008

A group of friends and I stayed at this hotel for one night in September and for the most part were pretty impressed. The staff was friendly, though not quite as competent as I would have expected with the Hyatt brand. The room was definitely oversized and the beds/pullout sofa sleeper were comfortable. The 42" plasma TV might be overkill, especially with the limited channels (no MTV, VH1, E!, - popular channels) available. The menu, though advertised as being available anytime, day or night, was not available after 10:00 PM. The pool room was warm, but the water was moderate and it was definitely in need of a cleaning. The shower in the room was clean, as was the rest of the room. The refrigerator was a huge plus as well. The air conditioning unit was constantly turning on and off all night, quite loudly, sometimes only being off for a couple seconds at a time, causing some sleep disruption, which we were expecting, being close to the airport - but it wasn't caused by airplanes at all!

• Liked — Complimentary high-speed internet access, comfortable oversized rooms
  • Disliked — Lack of knowledageable staff, pool cleanliness, availability of TV channels and food at night
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank LuckySinger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
MSP
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Its still a new concept, this Hyatt Place, but it really recalls for me an over-the-top motel 8 type of place with the minimal staff, lack of real food or safe in the room, and surface-only housekeeping - in other words its just a motel with nice furnishings and marble around the sink.

When I stayed here, there was some teenage beauty pagent and the hotel was booked, which might color my review a bit. Seems Hyatt uses the Gallery concept to reduce the number of staff on duty, which really makes for slow service as the two staff on duty Saturday night alternated between bringing out food (probably frozen pre-serve packages), pouring drinks, and checking in/helping out guests. If Hyatt Place only offered the standard in-room information books on local dinning options, channel guides, etc. they'd allow their Gallery staff to attend more to what they should instead of asking all sorts of questions from clueless guests.

Though saving on reception staff costs doesn't explain the low standards for housekeeping; there seemed to be a lack of attention to detail that is not expected in a Hyatt. The first time I took a shower, hairs floated up out of the drain - and there were still pencil marks on the wall from when the contractors were marking where to mount the towel rack.

For a hotel that is pushing "high-tech" marketing, its just a shame that the 42" televisions only got 30 or so channels, most of them basic cable. While this 42" tv was one of the main reasons I decided to give Hyatt Place a shot, it was a disappointment.

The rooms, though, seem pretty nice - well appointed although the layout is a bit odd and the bath really is no better than your typical no-tell motel. Not a bad experience, but no what I expected from Hyatt.

• Stayed September 2008
1 Thank ThuloLado
Mountain Iron, Minnesota
Reviewed September 3, 2008

I got this hotel for about 1/2 price from booking it off of hotel.com. It was a great place!! The rooms were very well kept and come with a huge flat-screen tv, coffee maker, fridge, and other things as well. The beds were comfy and it was a quiet hotel. They offer free continental breakfast which was nice and also offer a 24/7 restaurant you can order from, although prices are quite high. (for example:scrambled eggs in the morning with apple bacon runs you a little over eight bucks). I would stay here again.

• Liked — The great rooms.
  • Disliked — High prices at their cafe.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank CaSaundraLeigh
norfolk, virginia and williamsburg, va
Reviewed September 2, 2008

We stayed at this location over Labor Day weekend. Ww decided a few before to book and made a decision quickly to get a room for this busy weekend. We were driving to Minnesota to attend the state faire, and go to Mall of America. This hotle is so contempory and hip looking. The staff was very welcoming, helpful and pleasant. The pool had a adult swim from 10:00 til midnight. This did not apply to us as we had a 12 yr daughter with...but I thought this was nice for those that just want to get in the pool and not swim around kids. The room was very well kept. Bathroom was very clean. Beds were extra comfy. The breakfast was fine for us. Cereal, bagels, toast, yogurt, and fresh fruits. There were hot cooked to order breakfast available for an extra charge. This was a different way of doingit..but like I said, it worked fine for us. If I have to make any complaint...it would be that we were so close to the airport at 6:00 am the airplanes taking off and landing woke us up. We figured out that if we had the fan running on the air conditioning unit this took care of this issue...

• Liked — The clean atmosphere..huge flat screen tv!!
  • Disliked — the airport so close by..noise level
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank DONNALBERENICE
Scandia, Minnesota
Reviewed August 30, 2008

I stayed there because of an early flight. Getting up at 3 am and driving 90 minutes is not my idea of fun. Especially if the hotel can be billed to a client:)

Wasn't sure what to expect. It used to be an Ameri Suites and is right across from the longterm parking I usually use. When it changed ownership, I put it on my radar. My coworker stays at Hyatt Places and raves about them. So I took a shot.

Very clean. My mom would have approved. Quiet. Not sure what noise other people were complaining about. Staff was exceptional. The rate was fully 30% then what was being offered at the surrounding hotels.

The food was pricy. Good. But pricy. And that would be the only thing I could possibly point out as being a negative. Will definitely stay there again.

Stayed August 2008
Omaha
Reviewed July 9, 2008

1. Overall I'm disappointed with the Hyatt. I thought they had much high standards but was I wrong. My email confirmation clearly stated and guaranteed me one king plush Hyatt grand bed smoking room. Yeah they only had nonsmoking even when I called several times in advance and was told no problem you have a confirmed smoking room. I have absolute no faith with the folks in reservations, I was also confirmed in writing that rate includes bountiful breakfast buffet with hot scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles as well as fruit. Didn't get that either even know I had it in writing and showed the front desk. I called corporate guest relations on my first day and spoke with a Joel and he promised the general manager would contact me ASAP I was a guest for three business days! Go figure I was totally blow off no one contacted me during my entire stay. I had some other issues but I just gave up on all Hyatt's.

• Disliked — The hotel confirmation were dishonest.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank jolsen
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 6, 2008

I stayed in this hotel because I wanted some where close to the airport in order to get a morning flight. The room was fine: very modern with large tv. It also had a small kitchen area. Oddly, the bathroom was small with the wash hand basin the bedroom rather than in the bathroom. There was no information in the room re room service or any of the facilities in the hotel but I did discover that food can be ordered at the bar downstairs and taken to your room. The range of food available is limited although the quality was surprisingly good. There was also a good range available for the self-service breakfast.
There are shuttles to the airport and the shopping mall. I paid for the airport shuttle through Expedia although I think it was probably availabled free in the hotel so this might be worth checking out. The pool is small but about average size for most hotel pools.
The only suprising disadvantage to this hotel is the lack of noise insulation. As an airport hotel which is also on the edge of a major motorway, I would have expected that the noise insulation would have been of the highest standard. Disappointingly, this was not the case. I could hear the cars on the busy road all night and the over head flights also started very early. There are plenty of other hotels in the area so these might be worth checking out if you want a good night's sleep. If you are a good sleeper then there are a lot of advantages to this hotel.

• Liked — Size of room
  • Disliked — Noise at night
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo