“A good place to stay before catching a flight from Minneapolis”

Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South
Ranked #14 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A good place to stay before catching a flight from Minneapolis”
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We got a "sleep and park" rate for this place as we were leaving for a sunnier vacation. The lobby was relaxed and efficient- very un-hotel like! Staff was friendly and helpful. The room was large- 2 rooms with a king bed and in adjoining room with both a 2 bed sofa bed and a one bed sofa bed, it also had a fridge, microwave, sink and coffe maker. Bathroom was old and small but adequate.
Downstairs the bar provided a small but reasonably priced selection of hot meals (pizza for the kids that they enjoyed, house wine for us that really was nice). Morning breakfast was quite exceptional - the usual selection of breads, cereals and fruit but also a tasty selection of cheese egg muffins, goat cheese and tomato muffin and one other ( sorry, I forget).
The shuttle was a 5 minute ride away and just remember to have their number for the return visit. Enjoy!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Duddoo
Chris D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
We look forward to seeing you again and look for updates on our Park and Fly in the coming months.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Lebanon, Missouri
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I stayed at the Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South for two nights. This property is close to the airport and offers complimentary transportation to/from the airport and Mall of America. The Mall of America shuttle goes every quarter hour. Stayed in a king bed room on the 5th floor. Room was very spacious. Keep in mind you are staying at an airport hotel so it tends to be loud at night. Also, some of the rooms are pet friendly. While I was there, they were doing construction in front of the Mall, so instead of dropping off at the front of the mall like they normally would they dropped off in one of the parking garages. The breakfast was so/so. Overall I was impressed with the décor of the property and rooms and would stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Chris D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. We are always looking to improve on what we do and am glad that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Santa Rosa Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 30, 2013

OK, we've stayed at Hyatt Place hotels for the last several years. I am a platinum member of Hyatt and have come to expect a certain standard.

First, we check in Sunday night, Sep 29th, at about 6. The young lady at the desk really wasn't terribly concerned that she had someone checking in. One thing I've gotten at Hyatt Place, from coast to coast, is an offer of a tour of the first floor. Nada from this lady.

About 8:30, we tried to get dinner. I'll say we tried, because it was a herculean effort. There were 2 people on duty, and maybe 8 people in the lobby total. The lady from check-in was having a hard time making someone a coffee beverage, and initially the guy was no where to be found. After about 10 minutes, the guy came out with cheese plate for a guest at the bar. We placed our order, and waited roughly 15 minutes. What we ordered based on the menu and what we got, were 2 entirely different things. Our "Italian Wrap" was made like a quesadilla. Interesting, but not what I ordered. I will say that the young man on duty was very friendly and professional. Someone just needs to show him how to make a wrap.

I'm not sure if this place was originally a Hyatt Place. Lots of weird things that just didn't fit the other establishments we've visited. The worst was the AC unit in the room. It only ran on one speed, high, and was really loud. I finally shut it down, but that was when I realized the proximity to the Interstate and the noise level from the traffic. (As a side note, we have stayed at the Hyatt Place near the Kansas City airport many times. I've never heard the traffic on the Interstate or from the airport.)

Breakfast was good. Hyatt has this figured. But one note. The lobby area was disgusting. There was food debris on ALL the tables and in many places on the floor.

The final straw was the shuttle to the airport. Not only did the driver not offer to assist with our bags, he basically just opened the back door and walked away. Unreal.

I'll obviously never visit this establishment again, and as a platinum member, I'll contact the corporate offices as well. But I wanted to take the time to let other professionals know, this isn't the hotel for you.

Room Tip: Pick anywhere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for letting us know about the problem you encountered. You are correct that this is not typical for our Hyatt Place. Although I am glad the staff you encountered were friendly and professional, we will definitely be addressing the other issues that you experienced and hope to see you back in the future.
Bismarck ND
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Great hotel, staff was friendly and the rooms were massive! Very clean and comfortable as well. The best part by far is the location! Less than 2min to the MSP airport and maybe 5min to the mall of america. Didnt get a chance to try breakfast because we left to early but i would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank you for sharing your kind words! We are glad to be able to accomodate guests who want to be near the airport and Mall of America and we look forward to your next visit.
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Has everything you need..losts of space in the room, lots of counter space and a good breakfast.
Close to the airport (5 minutes) and the van will shuttle you to and from the airport. Also a shuttle is available at 15 after the hour to take you to the mall of america and picks up from the mall at 20 after the hour until midnight.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank PJH1628
Chris D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this review, September 17, 2013
Thank you for your kind review. We look forward to serving you again in the future.
Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin
Reviewed August 20, 2013

There are 5 things I look for when I'm looking for a hotel (in no particular order): complimentary breakfast and wi-fi/internet, free parking, layout of guest rooms, and cleanliness. And, since it was literally last minute, the Hyatt Place was the one we ended up choosing.
Our family of 7 stayed at the Hyatt for an overnight stay. It was a two double bed room with a living room and kitchenette, which I thought was pretty nice; and it even had a little desk with an office chair in the corner too. The only odd thing was that the bathroom counter and sink were outside of the bathroom. The bathroom only had the toilet and shower/bathtub in it, which felt a little cramped. The sofa also turned into a queen sleeper but we didn't utilize that. There was no microwave in the kitchenette, just a mini fridge that you could stock yourself. The complimentary breakfast they had was kind of minimal: scrambled eggs and sausage links...and pancakes that tasted like paper. I am not a picky eater by any means; I rip on others for being particular, but the pancakes were hard and tasted like paper. Other than that, they had the usual continental breakfast items. In our hotel room, I noticed some mold/mildew on the corners of the tiles in the bathroom and the ceiling had cracks in it that looked like someone just put plaster of paris over it and left it at that. There was a sliding mirror door to the one and only closet in the room and it was broken; we couldn't even slide it so it was hard trying to put our luggage inside of it. We didn't even bother telling the hotel people because it was just an overnight stay.The hotel also boasted free/complimentary wi-fi, which I thought was a joke. We were only on the 2nd floor but the connection was so weak and slow, it was frustrating; my phone turned into an even better wi-fi hotspot. But why should I have to use my phone when the hotel had wi-fi? It didn't automatically show up as an available network, you had to look it up yourself and I don't know if this was due to the slowness of the connection, but frustrating nonetheless. The hotel did appear to be a little old and outdated here and there. Which is fine for some people, but I like consistency. The rooms were quiet and the beds were comfortable. The kids enjoyed the pool and our room had enough space for them to run around and play. Overall, this was a nice stay; nothing too good to note that we should return, but nothing too bad to say that we should never return. Would we stay here again in the future? Probably not.
But mostly because we like to stay at different hotels to see what they have to offer :D. While the hotel did have all that I was looking for, other than the free parking, the others didn't quite meet up to my expectations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Chris D, General Manager at Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We definitely can do better than just the basics and we are working to improve on those items. We have since switched the breakfast to offer fresh and different breakfast sandwhich selections as well as frech toast, fresh fruit, and assorted breads and pastries. I hope that we get the chance to serve you again and that you are able to leave not wanting to try another hotel ever again.
Reviewed August 15, 2013

My family of 4 chose Hyatt Place for our hotel accommodations while we vacationed in the MSP area. This was the first, and last time we stay at a Hyatt. We arrived on 8/10/2013 and checked out 8/14/2013. We were placed on the 4th floor. As we rode the elevator, it begain to make wierd metallic grinding sound like the track or cable needed a good coat of oil and an overall safety inspection. When we arrived at our hotel room, something was wrong with the door handle. After swiping the door card,the green light activated but the door would not open. It was discovered that the only way to get the door open was to lift the handle up while giving it a jiggle.

The room was laid out nice with 2 full beds and a large sofa with a hide-a-bed. Between the two full beds looked like it had not been vacuumed. I picked up the pretzles that were left on the carpet, as to not step on them later. I noticed that the entire carpet was in need of a good vacuuming.

On 8/11/2013 (Sunday) at approx 8:00pm I notified the front desk that our toilet was plugged. At 8:35pm no maintenance guy yet. Called the front desk but no answer. I went down to the front desk, yes the elevator is still making that noise, to enquire about the toilet resolution. Spoke with front desk clerk that said they were having trouble locating a plunger. At 8:50pm I was informed that no plunger was on-site. At that moment my wife called me to get a update as my daughter needed to use the facilities. I told her they were still working on it. I went back up to the room, in noisey elevator, and took my daughter down to use the bathrooms near the pool area. At 9:03pm my daughter was back at the room and I was back at the front desk. No one was at the desk so I sat in the lobby area and waited. Long story short, Hyatt sent a employee over to the Holiday Inn Express to borrow a plunger. At approx 11pm an employee knocks on my hotel room door and hands me the plunger. He tells me to leave it outside my room door when I'm done. Nice!! I had to plunge the toilet and leave a dirty plunger in the hallway. Lovely!!!!

Toilet in now "fixed". Pull the hide-a bed out to discover that it has no sheets, pillow or blanket. Called the front desk AGAIN and I'm told I can come and get some, WONDERFUL!!!!! Down the piece of crap elevator I go. NO ONE AT THE FRONT DESK AGAIN....GO FIGURE!!! Waiting at the desk is a flight attendant and another gentleman, they are not together. Desk clerk arrives 10 mins later, flight attendant looks testy and states she can not get into her room. She is assigned another room. Other guy wants to check-in. He is assigned a room on 6th floor, I tell him about the elevator. I received the needed sleep items and trek back upstairs. Finally.........entire family is in bed and its almost tomorrow.

Room Tip: Our room on the 4th floor was quit and the suite was nice.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
I sincerely apologize for the lack of service you were provided during your stay. This is not indicative of what our guests experience and the issue are definitely being addressed. Service and cleanliness are two basic things that need to be achieved in order to meet guest expectations and I hope for teh opportunity to serve you in the future and show what we are truly capable of accomplishing.