“My favorite MSP Hotel”

Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South
Ranked #15 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I stay here regularly now when I come to MSP, after trying the Park Plaza, the Residence Inn and others. The staff here is just so friendly and willing to help out. I had a flight canceled and they got me another night at my corporate rate with no trouble.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank jrgray

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I am a huge Hyatt Fan - even stay enough each year to get a Platinum Card. However, this was the worst Hyatt experience - EVER. The room itself - top notch Hyatt quality. The service however, ABSOLUTELY HORRID - WORST. SERVICE. EVER.

Check in - reservation was messed up. Check-in person went to "talk to sales" about it. Never came back. 5 minutes later, the other person took it upon himself to help me - got it straightened out. Two strikes in the first 2 minutes.

Breakfast. Our party - and 2 other separate parties - placed our orders (which we pay for) using the computer at the counter (as instructed). All egg plates - all took over 25 minutes - and the food only arrived after EACH party complained to the desk clerk. When the kitchen area person was asked about status of the order - VERY VERY VERY RUDE comments "working on it" - the walked away. Of course, just getting the attention of ANY EMPLOYEE was a challenge in itself. They would look right at a guest, and as soon as the guest started to speak, the employee would walk away. PATHETIC!! Strikes 2, 3, 4 thu 9.

Then, what's even worse - we, the guests, had to get out of the way of the workers constantly. The workers would congregate constantly in the lobby blocking main paths, blocking exit doors, and just stand there talking and laughing. They wouldn't move for ANY guests - ever. They even stood outside the elevator doors, and made it nearly impossible for any guests to get off the elevator. The workers never moved - at all - no effort whatsoever. As we were leaving, trying to climb over the lobby furniture (practically) to exit, one of our party bumped her guitar case into a table - and the workers LAUGHED and said "Serves you right".

MOST RUDE EMPLOYEES EVER. Only ONE out of the 12 I saw had ANY sense of common everyday courtesy. If I managed that place, I'd FIRE EVERY SINGLE EMPLOYEE - and hire high school teenagers!!!!

Never in my life have the workers made guests feel like we were troubling them by wasting our money there. And it wasn't just me - other guests I talked to in the elevators (after we pushed our way through the congregating non-working employees) also said the same thing.

A true disgrace to the Hyatt name and the hotel business in general.

NEVER EVER STAY THERE! There are 50 more hotels near Mall of America to choose from.

PATHETIC!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 66traveler2009
Reviewed May 5, 2012

We had an excellent stay. It is starting to show it's age but it is very clean. The staff is top of the line. I don't think we ran into one person that did not say "hi" to us. The pool is clean and had some fun toys. The elevator was bit slow. The breakfast had some nice fruit options, oatmeal, juices (including tomato juice which is rare), donuts, muffins, bread and coffee. The shuttle service was quite efficient to the Mall of America and the airport and the driver was very friendly. The rooms are amazing. They are very spacious with an extra large sofa, great lighting and one of the best TV's I've seen in a hotel room. The bathroom is odd. The cammode and shower are in a seperate room (very small) and the sink an mirror in the main bedroom. This works well, one person can shower and another can get ready. However, it's a bit of a challenge to get dressed in the small area. You can get beer and wine 24 hours a day along with Starbucks. Each time we purchased a beverage the staff talked with us and asked how are stay was. We will be back!

Room Tip: Try and get a room away from the highway.
3  Thank sbrs93
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Nice hotel.
Room was clean and very large, with a sofa area, desk and large closet (none of which I needed for my trip)

The bathroom was clean and the sink had a large vanity outside of the shower space.

The staff downstairs was very nice and the free shuttle was convenient, on time and professional.

Great location, very close to the airport, Mall of America & IKEA

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Stephanie R
Reviewed April 28, 2012

We arrived for a 2-night stay, checked-in and were happy with the room. it's nice to be close to the MOA. The pool was ok, but the staff kept forgetting to unlock it in the morning. The free breakfast was very limited. I think it's designed to make you want to purchase an expensive hot meal.

The real trouble started when we got the credit card bill. We were charged for two rooms for two nights. Traveling with young children, we obviously only needed the one.

First call: You need to call back when the manager is here.

Second call: Manager - I'm going out of town, call me in a week.

Third call: I just got back. I'll into it.

Fourth call: Manager: the housekeeper said both rooms were used. Your card was charged twice 4 hours apart. So you obviously checked your other party in then.

What other party?! We were alone! Were eating dinner across town when we supposedly checked in again.

So we have to dispute it with our cc company and possibly complaining to Hyatt corporate. Needless to say we will not be staying here again,

2  Thank J R
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We picked this hotel for a few reasons: Free wi-fi, free refrigerator and free parking. The wi-fi was so slow that we just gave up. The refrigerator was so loud that we had to turn it off before going to bed...it was noisier than the airport. One of the lights over the bed wouldn't work. It would have been nice to have pamplets of things to do in the area in the lobby. When I asked the staff at the desk they were not very helpful. The bed, however, was very comfortable and it only took us about 5 minutes to get to MOA and IKEA.

2  Thank JoCBurlington
Reviewed April 2, 2012

I have stayed at 3 other Hyatt Place hotels and always been pleased with quality of the hotel and guest rooms, This must have been one of first Hyatt Places, the furnishing in the room are showing wear. I couldn't even sit on the couch to watch the TV because it was so uncomfortable, the cushions were worn and had lost their padding. The walls are so thin you can hear the phone ring and TVs from the room next door. My phone didn't work, was told someone would fix it and 12 hours later it still didn't work. To make the stay even brighter, add 50 plus high school kids yelling and slamming doors. I asked to move to a different location but hotel was sold out. I would think management would have made arrangments to house the students in one area and away from business travelers. Lucky me they are here for at least another night. Breakfast buffet- typical pre-packaged breakfast foods with some fresh fruit.

The positives:Spacious rooms, great work area for your computer, small frig and one of the biggest TVs I have seen in a hotel room, free internet, close to the airport, good central location if doing business in Minneapolis and St. Paul. If you like to shop, Malll of America is a short hop down the street. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

Next time I will stay across the street at Embassy suites or Courtyard Marriot.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business