“Great place for a big family”

Hyatt Place Minneapolis Airport - South
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed October 17, 2011

My family stayed here during our trip to the Mall of America. We have 4 children, aged 8, 5, 3, and 2, and got 2 connecting rooms. Each room had 2 double beds and a large pull out sofa. With the connecting doors propped open, it was huge and really comfortable. Plus, it was very convenient to the mall, only a mile away. The price was really reasonable too. A 2 bedroom suite at a nearby hotel would've cost us more than the 2 rooms we stayed in.

Everything was clean and well maintained there. My only complaint is that the bathrooms are tiny! The doors opened inwards and almost hit the toilet. I've been in public restroom stalls that are larger and they don't have tubs in them.

The breakfast that they serve was nice. Lots of fresh fruit, cereal, and bread selections. Plus, for an additional but decent price, the kitchen made us french toast, scrambled eggs, and an omelet that my kids gobbled up. In the evening, after the kids were in their room asleep, my hubby brought us up a couple of glasses of wine from the bar. It made it feel like a vacation for just the 2 of us.

Overall, if we ever decide to make the trip back to the Mall of America, we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed October 16, 2011

We live nearby, but wanted to stay at the hotel with two couples from Iowa who wanted to shop at the Mall of America/Ikea. I was the one who made the reservations and wanted to make sure they were comfortable. Comfortable meant clean rooms with king size beds and a good size sitting area with a refrigerator as we get together in one room at night for cocktails. Excellent choice for big rooms with the sink, coffee pot, refrig, ottoman, couch for us to sit around at night and chat. They put us all on the same floor near each other as I requested. Breakfast was very basic, toast, bagels, donuts, cereal, oatmeal and fruit. Anything with eggs you could order for a price. But I knew we basically needed a quick something each morning before we headed out, so that was no big deal for us. Wi Fi was hit and miss in the rooms, I got it ok, but another couple couldn't get on the internet at all and used their computer (the hotel has 2 available in a room downstairs). Equally important, no bedbugs, we all checked after check in and when I was doing research, there were 3 other hotels near the MOA that were on the bed bug registry.
I know when these couples come back into town, they will definitely want to stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on the east side and did not hear noise from 494 or from the airport. Rooms on the 5th floor...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 15, 2011

No room service, have to go to the bar to pick up your food. Terrible food; chili is apparently from a can with some frozen corn thrown in. Cold, as well. Chef salad has artificial meat, no eggs. Crackers so stale they must have been 2 years old. Refrigerator warm even though set to high. Internet so slow you can log in to their website for the menu, as no menu is provided in the room. Internet not secure; for the first time, I was locked out of facebook, my primary means of keeping in touch with home. Bathroom door looked like it was rotted out. TERRIBLE ODOR in lobby; was told it is their signature aroma. Personally, I like the smell of air, and I am allergic to artificial scents. Flat screen TV picture looked worse than my 20-year-old Sony at home. Channel selection poor: 17 sports channels, 6 news channels, 3 old movie channels, 3 children's channels, 7 rerun channels, no regular network channels, but found PBS. Apparently, they're trying to force you to pay for a movie.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank A N
Reviewed October 11, 2011

The rooms are sparkling clean and tidy. The beds and linens are comfortable and fresh. The location is very close to the highway, airport and Mall of America, so you can hear the traffic. We thought the staff was friendly and helpful. I usually stay downtown at the Hyatt Regency, but this is a nice alternative in the suburbs.

Room Tip: The front desk is very friendly and helpful. Away from the highway would be quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 12, 2011

I am not a picky hotel person other than I like a clean atmosphere and decent staff. We wanted a 2 Queen room but when we checked in were told only king room with pull out was avail. No problem the kids could sleep on the pull out. The hotel was the modern style Hyatt Place is known for but it felt a little worn out - in the lobby - cushions disfigured (cheap foam in the cushions maybe?), stains on fabrics - not bad mind you - just looked 'lived in'. The room was the same - a cracked pane in the room divider glass was fixed with clear packing tape, the baseboards were pulling away from the wall. Bed was very comfortable.
Breakfast - of course was like wild kingdom revisited - which is like any other hotel on the weekend. The fruit was very nonfruit tasting as I believe it was the frozen version that was thawed- not good at all. I didn't get much else to eat as there were lines at the toaster and about anywhere else.
The pool was average nothing too good or bad. Would I stay here again? Yes, if the price was right. If the price was the same as others I may try something else.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Michelle_D
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This was our first stay at a Hyatt Place and we will be back!! Very spacious and clean room! Excellent service from staff! We stayed with 2 children and they loved it! The pool isn't overly large but they have pool toys (floating tubes, balls, basketball hoop ect) for the kids which I thought was a nice touch! Good breakfast and shuttle service! Thanks for a great stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank JessicaHowg
Reviewed September 7, 2011

We had stayed at a Hyatt Place hotel once before and had been impressed with the size and quality of the room and this time was no exception. With a large family, you just need a little space when travelling, and these rooms are perfect, with the two queens on one side of the room and a comfy couch bed (not a pull out - this one is super comfortable!), a small table, fridge, two sinks, etc. The set up is very spacious and gives every the much needed room to avoid getting on each other's nerves! The continental breakfast was perfect, the room service excellent and the staff was very attentive. I was most impressed and will definitely be back when we return to Minni!

Room Tip: The rooms have a bit of a living area that is separated from the bedroom -very welcomed!
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family