“Pleasantly Surprised”

AmericInn Hotel & Suites Bloomington West
Ranked #32 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I was concerned when I saw that the hotel had recently changed its flag from a Hamton Inn to an Americinn, but I was pleasantly surprised.The hotel is about 8 miles from the airport and about 5 miles from the Mall of America. It's at highway 494 and France Ave. Shuttle service is available. There is a Denny's right next door and Joe Sensor's Bar and Grill across the street. The staff was very friendly, especially Karen, the night front desk person. The room was good sized and the bed was comfortable.The bathroom was a little small but had been updated within the last couple of years. This is a very minor thing, but the toilet was small rather than elongated. I just thought that was a little unusual for a hotel. The carpet was a little worn, especially in some of the public spaces, but not too bad. Breakfast was the usual fare and coffee was available all day. The dining room area was not overly crowded, at least when I was there. Apparently the hotel was purchased by Americinn corporate, rather than a franchisee, and they plan on making it one of their flagship properties with new updates and the addition of a pool. I would stay here again without question.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Mathieu M, General Manager at AmericInn Hotel & Suites Bloomington West, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Bilbo55- Thank you so much for such a great review!! I am so glad you enjoyed your time while staying here. You are correct, we have a ton of upgrades coming to the hotel. An indoor pool & hot tub, new hallway carpeting and a full lobby renovation. I very much look forward to seeing you again here. Have a great day!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

There is nothing special about this AmericInn property. The staff was courteous and attentive. There were no snacks in the lobby at check in, as we have had at other AmericInn properties. Coffee and tea are available 24 hours. The carpeting throughout should be replaced. We had a chair with a stain on it in our room. The beds were clean and comfortable. The bathroom was clean and the towels and amenities were good. Noise level between rooms could have been better. Could hear the man next door cursing about something, and he wasn't yelling. Breakfast was disappointing. Apples and oranges were it for fruit. No yogurt. 1 packet of instant oatmeal. Waffles, eggs, sausages, a few muffins, bread, and english muffins were about it. Again, not typically what we find at other Americinn locations. Location and parking were good. I would probably look elsewhere next time we are in town. The kids were looking forward to a pool, but the pool is under construction until Spring of 2014. Exercise room was it.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

MinnesotaJoElle- Thank you for the review! I can inform you that as a newly acquired AmericInn, we have a lot of upgrades coming! As you know, we have an indoor pool & hot tub being built. We also will have all hallway carpets replaced, as well as a full lobby renovation. I do hope we can see you again soon!

Reviewed July 31, 2013

The staff was helpful, the room adequate (beds and pillows were actually very nice). Carpet needed replacing. No micro, fridge on request. Breakfast was typical fare, but clean and well-stocked. This is a business park area off the freeway. Biggest issue was the A/C unit in the room which cycled on and off every 5 minutes and was quite loud...unfortunately we all slept poorly as a result. Based on that alone I would not stay again (after all, isn't a good night's sleep the main thing?) Ask for the 4th floor if you like quiet hallways. PS this location was not built as an AmericINN, so does not have the same quiet construction.

Room Tip: did not mean to mark the spa "terrible" but I cant uncheck it - I dont think they have a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

MKEcritic- Thank you so much for the review! I am looking into the AC issue to ensure that no one else has that problem. I am terribly sorry for lack of sleep you experienced. We have a ton of changes coming to this AmericInn in the next few months. An indoor pool & hot tub will be open by fall 2014! I do hope we'll see you again soon!

Reviewed July 20, 2013

Never received an email saying the name of the hotel had changed therefore we drove in circles for 10 minutes. The front desk allowed us to check in early after I sounded very frustrated about the hotel name change. The bedrooms had two full size beds and not queen. The assistance from the front desk was yet to be desired after our initial encounter. One gentleman had only worked two hours and was unable to answer any questions. He was very short and rude when I asked him questions he did not know the answer to. I was unaware that it was his first day on the job. The towels in the room were dingy and asked for more towels which took a very long time after several hours at the Mall of America. The continental breakfast was average and nothing to rave about. Overall this was an average stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Kimberly S- Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am so sorry your stay wasn't up to your expectations. We have a bunch of great improvements coming to the hotel in the next few months. An indoor pool and hot tub will be open by fall 2014! I do hope we will see you again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We stayed here originally booking the Hampton Inn. I have not yet seen any reviews on the new "AmericInn" so here goes. About two weeks ago this hotel switched from Hampton Inn to AmericInn. At first I was really confused because I received an email from AmericInn saying my Reservation had been created. At first I thought Hampton had bumped me because they were too full. Then the next day I got an email saying that the Hampton had changed to an AmericInn. Probably should do that the other way around... I then got another email saying my reservation was cancelled, then rebooked. It was all super confusing. But we got there and sure enough I have a reservation. Wooo! They did let us check in early. That was awesome. The rooms and hotel in general are a bit dated, basically not perfect. The Double rooms have Full size beds, not Queen. Not a huge deal. The bathroom was very small. If it were just the two of us it wouldn't have been that big of a deal but with any more it is very small. The rooms are average to small. We didn't have a problem fitting all of our things for the 4 day stay. The shuttle is very accommodating most of the time. The original front desk person was very helpful and said "As long as there is no other reservations you can take it at will" then a couple other times they were a little annoyed when we just walked down and asked for a ride. Also... the night shuttle driver was not happy to get a call at 3am. Haha. Sorry! I was slightly scared for my life during that drive. The breakfast in the morning was available between 6-10am. It was very standard extended continental. They did have a couple of hot items which is usually standard at Hamptons but I honestly do not think it was up to Hampton's standards. So I stuck with the traditional waffle iron. I did talk to a couple of the employees and they did state that the hotel changed ownership because they did not 'qualify' to be a Hampton Inn anymore as they had fallen below Hampton Standards. I am not overly picky so it doesn't bother me that much. And the employees were so incredibly nice and helpful that we never had a problem. I also loved the coffee with awesome creamers 24/7. That was nice. So overall, great trip, good hotel but there are some drawbacks. If you aren't super picky you shouldn't have a problem though. Also, no longer a Hampton Inn. Any reviews older than this one will be referring to the HAMPTON INN, not the AMERICINN.

Room Tip: Higher level. Away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank dazyabbey

Wow! What a great review! Thank you so much dazyabby! We have many changes to come at this property. A pool and hot tub will be open by fall 2014!! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay here. Please come see us again!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I would recommend this hotel. they back what they same about 100% satisfied or money back. Help at this motel has always been friendly. The location is convenient with shuttle bus to the Mall of America. The area feels secure and it is a pretty good value.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Myself and three other friends booked the Hampton inn with a fantastic rate on Hotwire for a girls weekend in Minneapolis. We stayed for three nights over a weekend for a rate of $180 total for the four of us.
The room was clean and quiet but on the smaller side for four girls and all their stuff. There was no pool in the hotel even though some descriptions say there is and no fridge or microwave in the rooms. There is a microwave in the breakfast area that guests can use. They also have complimentary coffee in the lobby at all times.
There isn't a lot to do in Bloomington for night life but we did discover coyote jack's close by and the hotel shuttle dropped us off and picked us up.
All the staff members we encountered were very friendly and offered great advice for things to do and places to eat. Shuttle drivers were very personable and knowledgable, we used the shuttle for our night out, going to mall of America and to go for dinner one night to Timber lodge (excellent recommendation of a midrange steak place by the shuttle driver).
Jim from the front desk went over and beyond for us. One day our friend wasn't feeling well due to the previous night's festivities and didn't come to MOA with us, Jim send us back to the room with bottles of water and vitamin water for her to make sure she kept hydrated. I would definitely recommend this hotel, great value for the money.

• Stayed: June 2013