“Great Hotel”

Ranked #32 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Milwaukee, Wi
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed May 26, 2008

We stayed at the hotel for 3 nights. Each morning there was a different free hot breakfast entree & they were all delicious. There also was fresh fruit salad & lots of other options. The clerks at the desk were so willing to please, I forgot my ear plugs & they gave me some & also cough drops for my husband. They will supply you with almost anything you need. The room was spacious, clean & comfortable. There was a free shuttle to the Mall of America. It just was such a pleasant experience & I will look forward to returning soon.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Minnesota
Reviewed September 21, 2007

My complaint has less to do with the actual night's stay and more to do with management lack of followup. The hotel was under construction, we knew that in advance. But we chose it because of the lower rate and we were assured that the beds were the new Hampton beds - which we love. So, we gave little notice to the incompleted room and the construction zone hallways. We were only there for a few hours during the night anyway. But, we had reason to believe we had left our digital camera in the room. I'm writing to complain about management's way of handling our calls, as I believe it is an indication of how they conduct their business in general. The first call I placed was to the general manager and I was put through to Lisa Beauchamps' voice mail. I received no call back. Two days later I phoned again, asking for the general manager, and was connected to an assistant manager. I spoke with her and she suggested that I needed to speak to the Housekeeper who was not currently available. I asked this assistant manager to please check with the housekeeper and return my call to say whether or not the camera had been found. After receiving no call, I phoned again and asked to leave a message for the Housekeeper. I left a voice mail on Alma's phone. Still no callback. Two days later I phoned for the general manager again and was given her voice mail. I requested again that she check lost and found and return my call. No call back. Two days later I phoned the hotel and asked for the general manager. Not available. For the assistant manager. Not available. For the housekeeper. Not in yet. So the desk clerk asked me to hold and she went to check lost and found. When she returned to the phone 10 minutes later, she asked me, "What exactly did you believe you left in the room?" I answered that I thought we had left a Casio digital camera. She replied, "There was nothing found in the room that day." Leaving me to wonder why she asked what I had lost if she had found nothing??? Anyway, be warned. Management is very, very unresponsive should you need their help. P.S. fyi, this building is an old hotel building and has been through the name changes as it disintegrated over the years. Now, with the Hampton name, they have sort of taken the rooms down to the bare bones and started again. When complete, it should not disappoint you.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank oakleafgal
N.D.
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Beds and pillows were comfortable. Large bathroom vanity. Breakfast had great choices from pancakes, biscuits and sausage gravy to fresh fruit, yogurt and cereals, etc.. Hot items changed daily. It was nice to have a choice of teas besides the coffee. Hotel was located right off of I-494 and close to I-35. Mall of America, Southtown and Southdale shopping centers were close by.
Hotel sits next to Denny's and Joe Sensor's restaurants. Airport was also close by.
The price for a night's stay was great!

• Liked — The price!! and the comfy beds.
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank EnjoyLifeAlways
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 12, 2007

Booked a king/suite for one night.....nice. The only drawback was that there was only one A/C unit (in the bedroom) for two rooms. Needless to say the living room area was quite warm in July. Other than that the stay was great. Rooms were clean and the bathroom was spacious. Friendly service. Convenient location to a great sports bar next door (Joe Senser's). Free breakfast but Denny's is next door in case you sleep in and miss the hotel breakfast hours. Will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2007
1 Thank cactus7
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Stayed here for business late June 2007. Hotel is undergoing renovation. New beds, at least on the 3rd floor where we were, with lots of pillow choices, duvet covers, etc. Flooring and carpets old and a bit dingy, but overall hotel was clean. Bathrooms had updated sink and fresh caulk. Breakfast OK - not great, i.e. no whole wheat items and overcooked eggs but standard array of choices.

Wireless access worked consistently and fast from room and lobby. Appreciate lobby computer and printer though a bit quirky to use (requires going through hotel portal with some restrictions) but easy to print out boarding pass and eventually figured out workaround for printing a needed attachment.

Rooms are nicely quiet and dark for being so close to interstate. Room A/C was loud and not that efficient and required getting up in middle of night for adjusting too hot/too cold.

First/checkin staff person wasn't helpful or knowledgeable about area, rest of staff much more helpful and outgoing.

No pool, fitness center small and limited but didn't end up using machines, there is a paved recreational pathway next to hotel that would be good for running/walking.

Location is very convenient - easy access to airport and Minneapolis, big mall close by, plus local restaurants and indy theater not far north on France Ave in Edina.

• Liked — Great value for good location
  • Disliked — older property in early renovation stage
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed April 30, 2007

Four of us stayed at the Hampton on business for a week in April of 2007 and we were pleasantly suprised by Hampton Inn. The building is older but the rooms have been renovated and is clean. The beds are ok but the pillows are horrible. They have a small eating area downstairs for breakfast which was nice. The breakfast was good. They provided free wireless interent access but most nights we could not connect, which was a big disappointment. The staff were really friendly.

Overall, the hotel is a good value.

• Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
1 Thank Monky
Austin, TX
Reviewed April 26, 2007

I travel to Minneapolis several times a year, and have stayed 4 or 5 times at the Hampton Inn at 494/France. It must have been one of the first Hampton's ever built - you can tell by the architecture. It is in definite need of updating and tidying up, but the rate ($79) and location (right next to Denny's and Joe Senser's) and about 10 minutes from the airport make it a good enough deal. There's another Hampton at 494/Lyndale, just a few exits up - it looked a little newer, but I don't think you can beat that rate.

The desk staff are friendly enough - all fairly young, and interestingly, not too knowledgable about the immediate area (restaurants, directions, etc.). The breakfast staff (this seems to be a trend at Hamptons) always seem to be the most gracious and friendly people at the hotel. This one was no exception. Always keeping the food well stocked and plentiful, and would ask people if they needed anything else. There is also a small "fitness center" that has a couple of treadmills and a stationary cycle.

As for the restaurants, Denny's is Denny's, but the Joe Senser's (sports bar and grill - decent menu and lots of big screen TVs) right across the parking lot is great to go to IN THE WINTER when it is too cold to want to get out and drive anywhere. Nothing else is within walking distance, so if you want to go out to eat or shop, you will need a car. There are plenty of options within a few mile radius, and the Mall of America is very close.

It's an OK place to stay, I guess the best reason to come back is the rates are so good.

• Liked — Rate and Joe Senser's restaurant next door
  • Disliked — Old run-down look and feel
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business