“Many nice motels and hotels in the area. This is not one of them.”

Northwood Inn and Suites
Ranked #42 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed there over Labor day. Reserved a first floor, no smoking suite. Got a third floor suite with cigarette burns on the ancient, broken furniture. (Wife is partially disabled. The 3 flights of stairs were a nightmare.) The carpet seemed slightly sticky, the toilet sat crooked in the tiny bathroom. The shower curtains were torn, there were missing cover plates on the outlets behind the beds. The staff were surly, and a hand-written sign on the wall behind the front desk threatened immediate firing if the staff were to make any "Management" decisions. I am sure it's a real joy to work there. The first night, the Wi-Fi did not work. The place looked like it was last remodeled in the early 70's There was a flat screen TV, but the screen was gouged as if someone had thrown something at it. The only reason we didn't walk out right away was that all of Bloomington was booked. I strongly suspect that the 4-5 spot ratings are coming from the staff.

Room Tip: Chose a room at any of the nearby hotels instead.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Will S
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Northwood Inn and Suites for your recent stay in our area.

Thank you for giving us a review, it is very much appreciated. We are sorry for the bad experience you had. Upon receipt of your review, the following actions were taken:

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you experienced and instructed to take required action.

• They also received additional training in seeing to it that all appliances are kept in working order.

I hope that the next time you visit our area; you will once again choose to stay at Northwood Inn and Suites. We take our reviews very seriously, and I think you will be greatly pleased.

Reviewed November 17, 2012

I stayed at the Northwood Inn and Suites over the weekend and I enjoyed my stay. The room was larger than I expected it to be. The location is excellent as it is right next to the airport and Mall of America. The staff was very helpful in making sure all my needs were met while staying there. I would recommend staying at this hotel if you want to be close to things in Bloomington MN.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Jason M
Reviewed November 14, 2012

We booked our room on Hotwire. Upon check-in, the staff was very friendly & helpful. It's an older hotel, and I didn't have very high expectations. But for the low price, I was willing to forgo some amenities. Just wanted a quiet, clean place to sleep. Pluses about the room: It was a decent size. It wasn't huge, but with two double beds it very comfortably worked for two adults. It had a nice flat screen TV and a very good selection of channels. We had trouble figuring out how to make it work, and the front desk gal was very willing to come up and help us get it working. It was very quiet, which is hard to find in hotels these days. Negatives: The room REEKED, and I mean REEKED of cigarette smoke. The carpets are old and look filthy. They just need to be replaced. The only source of heat for the room is a little window-unit-type air conditioner in the wall. Our visit was in November. It was 20-something degrees outside. Our room was freezing cold when we got there, and for hours I kept bumping up the temperature on that heater trying to warm up the room. Finally I maxed it out to 86 degrees on the readout and STILL had to sleep with my jeans and sweatshirt on because the room was so cold (and the blanket & bedspread are pathetically thin). I woke up around 3 a.m. and was finally warm enough to sleep without my sweatshirt. I understand that the hotel is only rated a 1 star on hotwire, and I didn't have terribly high expectations. But anyone considering whether or not to stay here needs to decided whether or not they can handle that smoke stink - because I would guess that all the rooms smell like that. We didn't find any bugs/roaches, but we did use a blacklight and found some funky stains on a pillow and a washcloth. As most other reviewers stated, "breakfast" consists of a pre-packaged danish, with notes plastered everywhere that you can only have one. It would be less annoying to just NOT offer "breakfast" at all than to mislead people into thinking they're actually going to get breakfast. At the end of the day, the heat problem and the smoke stink made the stay unbearable for us. I just can't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

• Thank you for your valuable feedback.

• Staff members received our commendation for the courteous, pleasant, accommodating manner in which they treated you, our valued guest.

• Management and maintenance staff were consulted about the strong smell of cigarette smoke which you encountered. It was suggest that ways to eliminate it be looked into.

• The maintenance staff was instructed to check regarding air conditioner and see to it that it was functioning properly and received repairs if needed.

Reviewed October 29, 2012

I had a room reserved for Friday night. We ended up leaving it was so disgusting! There was powder all of the room, not sure what kind or for what. I waited for five minutes for somebody to come to the front desk when checking in and then to give back my keys (there was no one there when we left them). It is not worth it, the Comfort Inn next door was ten times nicer and only $20 more.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Kathleen C
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Guest,

• The front desk agent received additional training in the courteous, helpful manner in which our valued guests are to be treated.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I am in a wheelchair & reserved a handicapped accessible room. There was a step into my room.They had curbs & no ramps at the hotel. I was traveling with my sister, so she helped me with these obstacles.There were cords sticking out along the wall that led to the bathroom - barely enough room to get by them with my wheelchair. There was a small mirror above the sink in the bathroom - too high for a person in a wheelchair to see into it & no countertop space in there to put makeup on, etc.This was the least handicapped accessible hotel I've ever stayed in.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

• Maintenance was informed of the problems you experienced and instructed to see to the necessary repairs and replacements.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

I was here for 4 nights and found the accommodation to be extremely clean and well equipped with daily maid service. The staff and owner were very friendly and accommodating to our needs and sorted out any little queries with a smile. We had a late afternoon flight back and were able to keep one of our rooms for the extra few hours we needed which was really useful, a taxi was also organised for us at a very reasonable rate. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this motel, great location and really comfortable. Didn't use the pool but it looked fine.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Shirley W
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I found this hotel on Booking.com. I saw the price and jumped at it. Well I should have known, you get what you pay for. I rented three rooms here and two had bed bugs. I complained to the front desk and she said that she will informed the manager. Long story short...we decided to leave and they charged my credit card anyway. I now have to talk to my card company and complain.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS DUMP YOU WILL BE SORRY!!!

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank izzychk
northwoodinnandsuite, Webmaster at Northwood Inn and Suites, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Northwood Inn and Suites in which to stay.

Upon receipt of your review the following steps were taken:

• Maintenance was notified of the problems you experienced with the air conditioner and instructed to look into something can be done.

• Maintenance was informed of your report of insects in the room assigned to you and instructed to see to their elimination.

• Management has been informed about the credit card charge.

I hope that the next time you visit here you will find your visit to be much more satisfactory.

Regards,
Hotel Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bloomington
Comfort Inn Airport
Comfort Inn Airport
#33 of 42 in Bloomington
Residence Inn Bloomington by Mall of America
Baymont Inn & Suites Bloomington MSP Airport
Hilton Garden Inn Minneapolis Airport Mall of America
La Quinta Inn Minneapolis Airport Bloomington
TownePlace Suites Minneapolis Mall of America

Been to Northwood Inn and Suites? Share your experiences!