“Good stay, cookies a nice touch”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Ranked #4 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersGold level
Saskatchewan
“Good stay, cookies a nice touch”
Reviewed September 25, 2006

I stayed here for 3 nights for a girls' weekend with my teenage daughter and her friend. The room was clean. The staff were very courteous and helpful. The airport shuttle drivers were also very friendly and prompt. The cookies in the lobby were a nice touch, too. It was so close to the Mall of America we felt like we were staying at the mall! We made many trips back and forth over the weekend. We walked, but there is also a mall shuttle service from the hotel. The light rail station at the mall was also a lifesaver. We had tickets to the So You Think You Can Dance tour at the Orpheum Theatre downtown. It was very handy to be able to catch the train at the mall. We only had a 5 block walk from the our stop to the theater and we saved cab fare! My only complaints were thin walls (noise from next room) and the sofa-bed mattress left a lot to be desired. Overall, though, we had a great weekend and would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2006, traveled with family
3 Thank SJW777

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Korean first
Singapore
Reviewed September 20, 2006

I chose this hotel because my younger brother's doing a student exchange at the University Of Minnesota and I wanted a place conveniently located near the Mall Of America. I arrived early and they only had my room ready just a half hour before the normal check-in time. I sat at the waiting area which was comfy and there are apples and cookies available. My queen room was big and so was the bathroom. The bed was so comfortable that i had problem waking up every morning. Only problem was the sink which was not big enough to accommodate all the toiletries provided. The toiletries were placed on top of the toilet bowl! Very amusing. I didn't like the air-conditioning though. It cuts off automatically. The best part of the stay was that I didn't have a laptop and I needed to access the internet to print out my electronic airline ticket. There is a computer with internet access and when i told them that i needed to print my airline ticket, the front desk didn't charge me for my 6 pages. Another thing which i looked forward to each morning? The freshly made-to-order waffles. I write my name on a clipboard and it's first-come-first-served. There were also bagels, muffins, donuts etc plus a microwave and toaster. The walk to the south entrance of the MOA was probably about 7min and about another five to ten minutes from there to the Light Rail station where i boarded the train to Nicollet Mall to meet my brother. Very convenient. And yes, I can walk to the mall and back but considering the fact that I'm shopping at the largest mall in the U.S., I prefer to catch the free shuttle back each night since my arms were laden with shopping bags. Shuttle from the MOA was available 5-10min past the hour. For someone who is used to the Hyatt, Shangri-La, Intercontinental etc, I would say this is a welcome change for me.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Mei_C
Marlton, NJ
Reviewed August 16, 2006

Booked this place using a AAA travel guide and went by their 3 star rating. Other than being right across the street from the Mall of America, there is nothing about this hotel that I was satisfied with.

The place was obviously very crowded (we - 5 adults expected that), and the room was disgusting. The floors were not vacuumed, blankets not washed - we had an entirely wet spare blanket laying in the closet, the curtain was ripped and fill of mildew, the air conditioner was broken and kept rattling throughout the night, and the cabinet with the mini-fridge was shedding its walls.

The place has 2 whirlpools and 2 indoor pools. Well, one of the whirlpools was closed an entire day for cleaning purposes, and the 2 very small pools are only a little bit larger than the whirlpools.

Besides the free shuttle service across the street (35 area hotels offer it anyways), we have nothing nice to say about this hotel. We had reservations for 2 nights, but we left after the first night. When we checked out, other hotel guests were complaining about the disgusting state of the rooms and horrible upkeep.

Stay Away!!! Unless you want some free cookies in the lobby!

• Liked — Free Cookies and Shuttle Service
  • Disliked — Everything Else, including the rip off prices
  • Tips/Secrets — You are better off staying on the outskirts of the city and driving to the mall
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank KingCobra7003
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I would have given this hotel an "Excellent" score, but I waited over an hour for a towel and never received it. On the second attempt, I finally did get the towel. Otherwise, it was a very nice place.

It is very close to the Mall of America, but you do have to do some walking to get to the doors of the South entrance. We took the shuttle the first day, but walked the second because we had just missed the shuttle.

The best part of the hotel was the nice gentleman who drove the shuttle. He was very pleasant and prompt about picking us up at the airport and dropping/picking up at the Mall of America.

The breakfast buffet was good, and there were free cookies in the lobby all day long.

The room (King Suite) was nice, but a bit narrow. If you have a rollaway or an aero bed, it barely fits between the walls in the hallway. There was a soda machine right outside my door as well as one in the lobby and probably more, which I love. The TGI Fridays and IHOP are attached to the hotel and just down the hall. We didn't use the indoor pool, but only because we were short on time. It looked ok.

All in all, a good hotel. I would definately recommend to families going to the Mall of America.

2 Thank Kensethfan17
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 22, 2006

This hotel was absolutely wonderful!!!! The staff is very willing to help in any way they can!!! They helped with directions to numerous locations and were very familiar with the area. The mall right across the street is so convenient, you can just walk across the street. If your tired when you are done shopping like I was you can take a shuttle back to the hotel. The rooms had just had some renovations done to them and were great. They were very clean which is a big trigger for me. They had apples, candy and cookies in the lobby. They have 2 pools and two whirlpools, in-room games and movies and TGI Fridays and I-hop attached right to the hotel. I asked for some extra blankets and they were brought right away.

Overall this is a great hotel and I recommend it to all my friends and family, we actually have booked another trip back in July!!!

• Stayed April 2006
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
UK
Reviewed April 15, 2006

Excellent hotel!!
It is just across the road from the Mall of America.
They provide a free shuttle there every hour, but I never used it as its only a 4 minute walk.
Staff there were very friendly and helped with every request I asked for.
The rooms were excellent!
A free breakfast buffet is included in the price which was good.
You also have a IHOP next door open 24hrs and also a TGI Fridays joined onto the hotel.
Overall, its an excellent hotel, will be staying here again for definite when I go back.

• Stayed April 2006
6 Thank Thomas758
Chicago, IL
Reviewed March 31, 2006

We stayed for 3 nts over spring break. The rooms are small but clean. They have 2 pools (the size of postage stamps), placed next to each other. No frills and VERY crowded. When crowded, the pools don't seem safe for smaller kids. Due to the crowds and one of the pools being closed for 2 days during our stay, our kids did'nt get a chance to go swimming.

The staff is VERY friendly and willing to do anything for you! The location is great! TGI Fridays and IHOP are attached to the hotel which is nice. The included "continental" breakfast is standard. The belgium waffles are a nice addition.

We had a nice time, but I think the hotel is overpriced for what they have to offer. If this hotel were priced under $100 I would stay again, otherwise, I'd find somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2006