“A Nice Place with Great Shuttle Service! Free Cookies!!”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 10, 2006

I would have given this hotel an "Excellent" score, but I waited over an hour for a towel and never received it. On the second attempt, I finally did get the towel. Otherwise, it was a very nice place.

It is very close to the Mall of America, but you do have to do some walking to get to the doors of the South entrance. We took the shuttle the first day, but walked the second because we had just missed the shuttle.

The best part of the hotel was the nice gentleman who drove the shuttle. He was very pleasant and prompt about picking us up at the airport and dropping/picking up at the Mall of America.

The breakfast buffet was good, and there were free cookies in the lobby all day long.

The room (King Suite) was nice, but a bit narrow. If you have a rollaway or an aero bed, it barely fits between the walls in the hallway. There was a soda machine right outside my door as well as one in the lobby and probably more, which I love. The TGI Fridays and IHOP are attached to the hotel and just down the hall. We didn't use the indoor pool, but only because we were short on time. It looked ok.

All in all, a good hotel. I would definately recommend to families going to the Mall of America.

2  Thank Kensethfan17
Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)

Reviewed April 22, 2006

This hotel was absolutely wonderful!!!! The staff is very willing to help in any way they can!!! They helped with directions to numerous locations and were very familiar with the area. The mall right across the street is so convenient, you can just walk across the street. If your tired when you are done shopping like I was you can take a shuttle back to the hotel. The rooms had just had some renovations done to them and were great. They were very clean which is a big trigger for me. They had apples, candy and cookies in the lobby. They have 2 pools and two whirlpools, in-room games and movies and TGI Fridays and I-hop attached right to the hotel. I asked for some extra blankets and they were brought right away.

Overall this is a great hotel and I recommend it to all my friends and family, we actually have booked another trip back in July!!!

• Stayed: April 2006
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 15, 2006

Excellent hotel!!
It is just across the road from the Mall of America.
They provide a free shuttle there every hour, but I never used it as its only a 4 minute walk.
Staff there were very friendly and helped with every request I asked for.
The rooms were excellent!
A free breakfast buffet is included in the price which was good.
You also have a IHOP next door open 24hrs and also a TGI Fridays joined onto the hotel.
Overall, its an excellent hotel, will be staying here again for definite when I go back.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Thomas758
Reviewed March 31, 2006

We stayed for 3 nts over spring break. The rooms are small but clean. They have 2 pools (the size of postage stamps), placed next to each other. No frills and VERY crowded. When crowded, the pools don't seem safe for smaller kids. Due to the crowds and one of the pools being closed for 2 days during our stay, our kids did'nt get a chance to go swimming.

The staff is VERY friendly and willing to do anything for you! The location is great! TGI Fridays and IHOP are attached to the hotel which is nice. The included "continental" breakfast is standard. The belgium waffles are a nice addition.

We had a nice time, but I think the hotel is overpriced for what they have to offer. If this hotel were priced under $100 I would stay again, otherwise, I'd find somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2006
6  Thank Bon33
Reviewed March 26, 2006

I booked the Country Inn after reading the reviews here, and I must say we were disappointed in the place. While we did not have a terrible stay, there's no way that this hotel should go for over $100 per night. Other than its location, that is.

Many of our complaints had to do with the shuttle service. First, we waited at the airport for 30 extra minutes because the shuttle went to the wrong terminal. The driver blamed it on a new front desk person.

For the rest of the weekend we had more problems. The shuttle is supposed to leave on the hour. The 10:00 Am shuttle showed up at 10:10, and only had enough seats for half the people. The rest waited another 10 minutes for the driver to return. We waited again to be picked up at the mall, and finally gave up and took a cab home.

Our last day, we should have been picked up at the mall at 2:00, and another shuttle was then supposed to take us to the airport at 2:20. At 2:15 we gave up and took a cab again, and had the cab take us to the airport. The front desk staff apologized, and blamed it on spring break and the NCAA BB tournament. I blame them, since they shouldn't have been surprised by it.

The room itself was VERY ordinary, the pullout was uncomfortable and the facilities were pretty plain, all things considered. At the price we paid I expected much more. Its location was the only saving grace, and with all the dead time waiting for the shuttle, they wasted that advantage too.

• Stayed: March 2006
9  Thank cAPSlOCKon
Raleigh, NC
Reviewed December 5, 2005

The Country Inn and Suites was across the street from the Mall of America and an easy and safe walk to the Mall. They also have shuttle service to the Mall but it really isn't necessary unless the weather is bad. The shuttle service from the airport was great. The shuttle had just dropped someone off at the airport so we didn't have to wait to be picked up. The hotel room was clean and spacious. The staff was courteous and informative. The breakfast buffet was delicious. My favorite part of the trip was the fresh baked cookies in the lobby - 24 hours a day! I highly recommend this hotel and would certainly stay there again.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago
Reviewed November 20, 2005

The only reason for writing this is to tell you about the great coffee they serve here. Isnt that a good reason to write a review!! If you like great wonderful tasting coffee in the morning, stay at this place. I would leave Starbucks for this. They also serve the donuts and standard fare.

Otherwise, this is a fine hotel. Three restaurants next door (IHOP, mexican and a burger joint), of course the Mall, and lots of parking. I assume the selling point is proximity to the Mall, into which you could practically fall into from this hotel.

The suites are nice, but the beds are average. I am spoiled by the Starwood Heavenly Beds. The Marriott on the other side of the Mall has an excellent dining room for steaks and upscale eating--really good eats and service.

Overall the price is too high for what you get even considering the coffee! I may go back to the Marriott for the same price (which is also next to the Mall), or try another suites hotel nearby.

• Stayed: November 2005, traveled on business