Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Ranked #5 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 12, 2009

We just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel. The hotel is in a great location and is walking distance to the MOA and Light Rail. The rooms were clean but on the smaller side. Continental breakfast was good. I did find the front desk staff to be a bit abrupt but they were efficient. The pool is nothing special. I would stay here again if only for the convenient location and breakfast offered.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,053)

Reviewed July 8, 2009

My wife and 18 year old stayed one night. We selected it for the convenience for my son and I to take the light rail to the Twins/Yankees game at the Metrodome while my wife shopped at the MOA. The hotel is very clean with a nice continental breakfast of cold and hot cereals, toast, biscuits and gravy, omelets and waffles. I was somewhat crowded in the dining room but with enough dining space was not too uncomfortable. The room was clean, 4 pillows to a relatively hard bed and nice flat screen TV. The one down side was the fan in the room for the AC was LOUD!!!! and when turned on it woke me up. Of course I am a light sleeper but did wake my wife who is a very heavy sleeper. This location is great for the same use we had for it. The light rail was only 30mins each way to the Metrodome and $4.00 each. The MOA is the end station so the train was waiting for us there and at the end of the game at the Metordome. My wife just crossed a large street with l ights to get to the mall safely although a shuttle is there as well. Easy to get tofrom route 77. This is a recommend for the convenience although you can find cheaper alternatives.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed June 17, 2009

My husband and I celebrated our wedding anniversary by going to the Mall of America and taking our daughter. We were new to Minnesota and had never been before. Unfortunately I had fallen the night before we left on my bathroom floor and injured my knee. I was in an knee immobilizer and unable to walk very well. I WAS VERY DISAPPOINTED FROM THE BEGINNING!!!! We called ahead to ask directions on how to get off the interstate to their hotel---NOBODY could help me. Next, when they tried to give directions....they sent us the wrong way! Upon arrival at the hotel, I learned they had NO WHEELCHAIRS!!! I luckily was only handicapped temporarily....FORGET STAYING HERE IF YOU ARE PERMANENTLY DISABLED!!!! Much less, when they saw I was injured, they did very little about it. They assigned us a room ON THE SECOND FLOOR AT THE FAR END OF THE HALL!!! The shuttle ride to the mall is in the far back side of the hotel...which meant walking another way as far as you could go. The shuttle driver was nice and accomodating but he was the only one! Breakfast was madness...as they offered a hot breakfast but one staff member almost hit a customer in the head with the milk door-he had to move to get out of her way. It was obvious on her face, that she was having a bad day. We have stayed at country inns several times but after this, I wrote to the company to let them know about our experience so they might make some corrections.......GUESS WHAT....THEY DON'T EVEN CARE ENOUGH TO RESPOND BACK!!!!!!! RUN THE OTHER WAY.....THERE ARE PLENTY OF OTHER NICE HOTELS IN THIS AREA THAT ARE PROVIDING A MUCH NICER SERVICE!!!! I WON'T EVER USE COUNTRY INN AND SUITES AGAIN!!!!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank MMCMOM
Reviewed June 17, 2009

Super clean, comfy beds, bedding and pillows. Really felt like I could snuggle into bed and relax. Soft, fluffy towels. Very quiet despite being so close to MOA and airport. GREAT location! We walked across street to Mall of America but they offer a shuttle too. IHOP and FRIDAYS right on property - can get to them without even walking outside and both restaurants offer room service. Breakfast good; nothing exciting but it's free and gets you going. 2 indoor pools and 2 huge hot tubs. Late pool hours plus one hour for adults only. Wish we could've stayed longer! Could use one more computer in lobby.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 10, 2009

I normally stay at lesser-priced hotels, but got a great rate on a room here with my AARP discount. Staying here was a real treat. The beds are large and SUPER comfy. Very clean and well-kept. Breakfast was so-so, but it was hot and free...Staff was friendly and helpful. A few minutes from MOA. A really nice, comfy place to stay. I plane on making this my go-to hotel in Mpls. from now on.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 5, 2009

We booked this hotel on line and were not sure what to expect. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room had the king size bed, microwave and fridge, which we wanted so we could prepare snack for the five year old. It worked out perfectly. Having a door to the room was fantastic. We were able to put him to bed and then bath, watch TV and not go to bed at 8:00pm.

Although it told us on line that we were excluded from the breakfast, at check in they told us everyone gets the breakfast. There was cereal, toast and belgian waffles that met our vegetarian needs. The eggs were egg beaters...no thanks! and low fat yogurt...a big no thanks!

The pool is as small as the pictures make it seem but really what more do you need? There were only a few people each time we used it so it was perfect for us...same with the hot tub.

The rooms were nicely cleaned each day and we appreciated the small effort to reduce their impact by offering the option not to change the sheets each day and/or the towels.
Not using styrofoam cups and plastic forks for breakfast would be another step in the right direction.

The location is across from the Mall of America. We thought this might make it really busy and loud but is wasn't. We were able to walk over to the mall which was great. I think they even have a shuttle service if you needed.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2009

I found a deal online for a 2 room king suite for $111.00 & after reading reviews we decided to give it a try.

Upon check-in, the clerks were friendly, efficient and knowledgeable. They made sure to tell us about the shuttle that runs to the Mall of America each hour, TGI Friday's, IHOP, pool location, etc.

We checked into our room and were very pleased with how clean and new it felt. The living room featured a flat screen tv, pull out couch, desk w/ chair, arm chair and a neat cabinet that closed that housed the fridge and micro. The bedroom had a very comfortable bed, several pillows and another flat screen. A small hall w/ bath off to one side separated the two rooms. We especially liked that there was a small closet in the living area and another in the bedroom-this made it convenient to hang up and organize belongings. Also, the room had a thermostat that allowed you to change the temp with a touch of a button. This is a major improvement over hotels that still have the window units w/ high/low/heat/cool and it is a guessing game at what the temp will actually be.

A front desk clerk called a little after we checked in to make sure we were satisfied and to see if there is anything she could do for us. This was a very nice touch and added that extra level of customer care.

The hotel features 2 small pools and 2 hot tubs. This worked out well because there was a very large group of students and they took over one, so the other became the "family" pool. The staff kept the towels readily replenished and also kept all of the common areas very clean.

The only thing to note is that due to the close proximity of the airport, you will hear the planes.

We will stay here again as the room was great, staff friendly, location perfect, plenty of parking and it was kept so clean (VERY important!). Kudos to the staff/management.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank lovesrelaxing
JLGMinneapolis, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2009

Dear "LovesToRelax" :)

Thank you for your positive feedback and comments regarding our hotel.

I'm so glad you had a good experience. I really appreciate the fact you took the time to submit a review, too. Personal endorsements are the best kind of advertising we have, and I'm sure potential guests will take your feedback to heart and we will probably get new guests because of your efforts.

Thank you again and please contact me if you are ever planning a trip back to our hotel in the future. I would like the opportunity to meet you in person.

Jodie Grannes