Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
GreenLeadersGold level
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Outstanding service.”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Being bumped and put up by Delta Airlines, I expected the worst. Upon a late night check-in, the service was excellent. Everything needed for a comfortable stay was there. Pierre and Ron went above and beyond to get me to a local store for done needed medications. Thanks very much!

• Stayed November 2013
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
I'm sorry about the circumstances that brought you to our hotel, but I'm so glad you had a good experience. I shared your comments with Pierre, Ron and their supervisor, Karla, and they were all delighted. Thank you very much for taking the time post a review on Trip Advisor. We are grateful for the endorsement you gave us. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
  • Korean first
Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Best hotel for lots of reasons. My daughter and I have visited this hotel for a week for the past nine years, and we would not stay any where else ! We arrive on an international flight from England, do it's great to have a hotel shuttle bus collect us. The staff are friendly and so welcoming. The rooms are spacious and clean, especially the linen. Breakfast is always enjoyable, with a varied choice, hot or cold. We have been coming here for the last nine years, wouldn't stay anywhere else. There is now a skyway virtually linking the hotel to the Mall of America, but as the mall is so busy on the weekend! we use the superb Minneapolis Metro system and go away from the mall into Minneapolis and surrounding areas, sightseeing and shopping in those fabulous craft shops.
Thank you Country inn and Suites, for giving us a super week, can't wait to book again next year.

Room Tip: Avoid a room next to the elevators, unless you like to hear the warning 'ding' of the doors...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Vanessa H
Thank you SO much for posting such a lovely endorsement of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are very honored you choose to stay with us and it's always a delight to see you both. My entire staff mentions how much they look forward to having you in our hotel and we're already looking forward to your next visit. Best regards, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Brandon, Canada
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel every time we go to the Mall of America. It is the only hotel we will ever stay at. The staff make you fell welcome and are always willing to help. Pierre at the front desk makes you feel welcome. been there the last couple of times we stayed there. We had an issue with ur He has

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We are grateful for your loyalty and honored that we are your hotel of choice when traveling to the area. I couldn't wait to share your feedback with Pierre. He was smiling ear to ear and I know you made his day. I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet you in person during your next visit. Thank you again, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Bellevue, Nebraska
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I had two recent stays at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, MN and this hotel is now not only now my hotel of choice but the hotel I will be comparing every other to. I am a Desert Storm Air Force veteran and am confined to a wheelchair due to my injuries. Normally I travel with my sons who assist me in carrying luggage, opening doors, ect. However, on this particular trip I was traveling alone and as many wheelchair bound people know, traveling by yourself in a wheel chair has it challenges.

Upon arrival, I was struggling to wheel into the lobby while trying to carry several duffle bags on my lap. Front desk agent Laura Billy immediately saw me struggling and came over to help, taking the luggage and helping me to the front desk. Once she had me checked in, she got a luggage cart and assisted me to my room, unpacking the cart for me and putting each piece of luggage where it belonged. I was so pleased with her generous assistance, however did not expect this from everyone at the hotel. I could not have been more wrong as that is exactly what I received.

Shortly after arriving in my room, I received a call from the front desk asking if I had everything I needed. I assured them I did, and then asked if they had bottled water I could purchase as I needed it for my CPAP machine. Normally you need to use distilled water but as you can only purchase distilled water in a gallon size, this is not really feasible for lugging around on a trip. As such, I use bottled water when traveling. Upon realizing the reason I was needing to purchase the bottled water, the manager immediately offered distilled instead, stating they keep it there just for folks such as myself needing it for CPAP machines. Once they realized they were out, the manager sent the shuttle driver to the store and I had a brand new gallon of distilled water in my room within 30 minutes of check in.

I also have difficulty sleeping in a regular bed when traveling and so to avoid aches and pains each morning, I prefer sleeping in a recliner or something similar when staying at hotels. I mentioned this to the manager and she immediately asked if a lift chair would work better for me? I was thoroughly thrilled as a lift chair is a chair that not only reclines but raises from the back to help guests who have difficulty getting from a seated to a standing position or into a higher wheelchair, which is what I have. This was in my room within the hour, as well as fitted sheets to lay over it and additional sheets and blankets for nigh time.

The remainder of my four day stay was just as amazing as the first few hours. Each morning, I had the same housekeeper (Sheila) who was a doll! Shopping at the Mall of America means you bring back lots of bags and trash, and my trash can in my room was constantly over flowing. I asked if they had a larger trash can I could get so that I could keep my room a bit cleaner between seeing her each morning, and sure enough one was delivered to my room! In addition to her superb cleaning skills, Sheila was so sweet, saying hi in the halls, checking in to make sure I did not need anything extra, ect., that by the time I left I felt like I had known her for years.

Each morning, when eating breakfast, the attendants including Naino would assist me in getting my plate filled and then take then to the table for me as well as carry my juice over to avoid my spilling it as I tried to roll over to the table on my own. I just loved the delicious waffles each morning, which are a standard at many of the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson hotels, but this property also had a fresh fruit spread that I could put on top of them along with fresh whipped cream. Needless to say, I got very spoiled over this trip and have been craving those waffles since I came home :)

One morning, I accidently dropped a towel over the drain the roll in shower. I did not realize until it was too late that I had filled up the shower with water and it had spilled over the rubber lip on the edge of the roll in shower and I was flooding the bathroom. Of course I was mortified as the water was now soaking into the hallway next to the edge of the bathroom. I was on the first floor but was still worried about all the water getting into the carpet in my room. I quickly got dressed and called the front desk who brought extra towels. When they realized it was a bit more water than just a few towels could handle, they immediately got a mop and got it all cleaned up within minutes. Again, I was so mortified as this was clearly all my fault for plugging the drain but both the maintenance man and the front desk staff told me not to worry and that it was not that big of a deal and it was all taken care of.

This hotel offers a free shuttle at the top of every hour to take you over to the Mall of America, which I took advantage of several times. Each time I needed to get the shuttle, the drivers would assist me in getting the wheelchair onto the shuttle and make sure I was securely settled. When arriving back at the property, instead of the normal drop off at the back of the hotel where there was a slight incline and no automatic sliding doors, the drivers would drop me off at the front under the awning where it was completely flat and had automatic sliding doors, making it much easier to enter the hotel.

Finally, I cannot write this without bringing to attention all the front desk staff (including but not limited to Chris, Noelle, Chrystyne, Johnathan, Laura and Bobbie) and maintenance staff (Fermin) as well as the managerial staff (Karla and of course Jodie) who were so helpful and kind. Whenever I needed something, whether minor or major, they were there to help without hesitation. I had two stays at the hotel (a four day stay and then another 1 day stay upon my return back through the area. When I returned to the hotel on Monday afternoon after being gone for two days, the lift chair I had previously used was already in my room along with the extra linens and the remainder of the gallon of distilled water for my CPAP machine that they had purchased for me the previous week. Upon arrival, I also wanted to watch Ellen as my boss back home had gotten tickets for her show and I wanted to see if we I could see her in the audience. Unfortunately, I had difficulty figuring out the television guide and determining what channel it was on and was worried I was going to miss it. One of the front desk agents Bobbie came from the front desk to my room and was so helpful in finding the right channel, also helping me realize that it didn’t start at 3pm but rather 4pm in that area, so I was able to see the whole show :)

While I did not get a chance to use them as I was too busy shopping, it is also worth noting that this hotel TWO lift chairs (one each for the hot tub and the swimming pool) to assist wheelchair bound guests in and out of the water. I will definitely be taking advantage of these on my next visit!

In closing, as a wheelchair bound veteran who travels quite a bit, such “over the top” assistance from any hotel employee is rare, but to have this kind of service over and over again from each and every employee no matter what their position is truly appreciated. After this extra ordinary experience, I will always stay at the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Mall of America hotel when I travel to the Twin Cities, even if it is a bit out of the way from where I am going. It is without a doubt worth it!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa S
WOW! Thank you very much for taking the time to post such a heartfelt review regarding your experience with our hotel and our employees. It's been so much fun to go from department to department reading your review to all of the employees you mentioned by name. They don't provide excellent hospitality service for the recognition, but they certainly appreciate it and so do I. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to thank them for their great service and thank YOU for serving; as well. Yours truly, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Saskatchewan
Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I spent five nights at this hotel in August and it was excellent. I had asked the hotel for a nice quiet room away from the elevators and they put us on the fifth floor right at the end of the hallway which was nice. It was really nice to have the bedroom option as at night we would close that door and we would hear barely any noise. The A/C also worked very well as we happened to be there during a heat wave with very high humidity. The housekeeping was good as the room was always clean and she would leave us suckers.The shuttle to the mall was a nice feature as we used it almost every day. We only went down one morning for breakfast and it was the standard hotel free breakfast. The IHOP attached to the building was very nice and we went there for breakfast a few times. It was nice that we didn't have to leave the hotel to get there. Overall I give this hotel a 10/10.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hafor
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad you and your wife were comfortable and were able to enjoy yourselves. I'm sure other travelers to the area will appreciate your nicely detailed description of the room and our amenities. Thank you for your business and I hope you'll be back to stay with us again soon. Best regards, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, United States
Reviewed November 14, 2013

My wife and I always stay at this hotel when visiting the Mall of America. we like the convenience of it being right across the street. The breakfast is great in the morning and it is free. Hotel has complementary shuttle to the mall which is nice for bad weather. The staff is great especially Pierre at the front desk. We go to the mall every year and he always remembers us.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your loyalty and the Trip Advisor endorsement. I'm so glad you and your wife choose our hotel when you travel to the Mall of America. Your feedback meant so much to Pierre, his supervisor; Karla, and me. He truly cares about our guests and it's very rewarding to see that his service is appreciated. Please introduce yourself during your next visit if you have the chance. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800
Pico Rivera, California
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Spent a few nights here to attend an NHL game in St. Paul. The hotel is located in a really great location, just across the street from the Mall of America. For the price, this hotel is so worth it. Great room with a nice view of landing aircraft if you're into that. Lots of parking. Free wifi - however it's a little pokey...but good enough to check e-mails. Free breakfast buffet which is actually pretty good - right on the main floor and there's lots of seating and choice of foods. There are two restaurants attached to the hotel, which is very convenient. One is a bar/pub/grill and the other is an all day breakfast place. It's very easy to get to highways and was very easy to find.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much for the nice endorsement of our hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate your positive feedback and I'm so glad you had a good experience with us. We are in the process of a Wi-Fi upgrade, so it should be much faster during your next visit. Please introduce yourself if you have the opportunity when you are back to stay with us. I'd like to get your opinion on the upgraded internet service. Best regards, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800