“Great "extra" night of travel”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Ranked #4 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Due to mechanical problems we were stranded at MSP airport. The airline put us up at this property. The check-in was very efficient and our double queen room was large and comfortable. The beds were very comfortable and made for a very good nights sleep. The coffee and cookies available in the lobby was a nice touch. The large breakfast selection included eggs, canadien bacon, home fries, and biscuits & gravy. The staff was friendly and help, especially the van drivers who gave us safe comfortable rides to and from the airport. The only glitch we had was that our wake-up call was 20 mins. late. We will use this hotel on future stays in the Twin Cities.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Thank you very much for the nice description of our amenities and service. I'm sorry about the circumstances that brought you to our hotel, but happy to see that you'll be staying with us again when you stay in the area by choice. I look forward to meeting you during your next visit. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Reviewed May 1, 2013

All their staff were very professional, courteous, and just friendly. Loved the option for park-n-fly, so much less stressful than driving into the airport myself in the morning. Breakfast in the morning was great too. Would stay again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm so happy to see the parking special worked out well for you and made your trip more relaxing. I'm thrilled to see you'll be back to stay with us again and look forward to meeting you in person. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Reviewed April 30, 2013

Over all the hotel wasn't bad. When I had made the reservation, I had requested a crib. When we checked in the front desk said they had the request and someone would be up shortly with the crib.
We got into the room and it looked clean, but we got to the bed and the pillow had some orange crusty food on it and the sheets looked like they had been slept in. We always travel with extra sheets just for that reason.
So 2 hours have gone by and we go downstairs to leave for dinner and still no crib. We reminded the front desk again that we needed one. We went to dinner and got back at about 9pm and still no crib. We reminded them 2 more times and never got one for our room. Luckily someone else that we were traveling with had a portable crib else our 2 year old would have been sleeping on the floor.
Other then that the stay was fine.

• Stayed: April 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very sorry that the crib wasn't delivered to your room right away. I'm also sorry the sheets didn't seem clean. What you experienced is not acceptable in our hotel and your feedback was used as a training opportunity for my team. I hope we'll have the opportunity to make a better impression during your next visit. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Great place to stay and leave vehicle while traveling. The staff was very friendly and courteous. We choose this hotel because they had the lowest park n fly weekly rates. Shuttle service to and from airport was very prompt. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

I'm so glad the parking program worked out well for you. I've share your comments with my staff and you really made their day. They take a great deal of pride in the service they provide and it is ver gratifying when they hear feedback like yours. Thank you very much for giving me the opportunity to recognize their efforts. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a wounderful experience. We would not consider staying anywhere else. My children loved it. Very friendly. After a 12 hour drive the check in process was very quick and still friendly. The bed was very inviting.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Thank you very much for the heartfelt endorsement you gave our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad you had a good experience and I really appreciate that you would take the time to recommend us to others traveling to the area. It's great to see that you'll be back to stay with us again and I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet you in person during your next visit. Best wishes, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The manager Jodie and staff made it very enjoyable. Shuttle to the Mall of America was nice, but if you want to walk, it is not to far. Breakfast was awesome. It can get busy at breakfast, but they are set up well and organized to assist you. Pools and hot tubs were nice. Little bit strong on the chemicals, but i think it was because so many people were there over the spring break time.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review of your spring break visit to our hotel. I'm so glad you had a good time and I hope you left with great memories of your time together as a family. Thank you for mentioning the breakfast, pool area and location, as well. I'm sure your fellow travelers will value your opinion and appreciate the recommendation. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes 952-646-2800

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Myself and my girlfriend drove from Nashville to Bloomington on wed apr 17th while on a road trip for her birthday. After arriving late at night in bad weather we decided to stay at the first hotel we found, which happened to be the Country inn. We were pleased with the price, so we checked in and went to the attached TGI Fridays for a late dinner, then to bed. The check in process was easy, and the staff was friendly.

In the morning we woke up, noticed the nice set of pools (1 was taped off), and nice set of hot tubs, then headed for the complimentary breakfast.(which was just as good as you'd expect it to be). We then headed for the mall on the complimentary shuttle.(which runs hourly) The driver was good and said when we could be picked up to return to the hotel.

After a day of shopping, we returned to the hotel on the shuttle, and decided to take a swim to relax. This is where it all went wrong,

Upon entering the pool area (at approx 5pm) we saw a family of 4 in the water, and a group of 5-6 guys about 25-30 years of age, tattoos, one with dreads. We didn't think anything of it. I put my room key card in my shoe and left them on a table beside the pool. Moments after we got in the hot tub, all but 1 of the guys got ready and left, the other sat down on his phone with just his feet soaking in the tub. After about 15 minutes he left the pool area.

Myself and my girlfriend enjoyed the pool and hot tub for another hour and decided to return to the room. Before we left my girlfriend noticed one of the group of guys walked through the pool area again. When I went to my shoes, I noticed the key card was on top and not in a shoe. Asked my girlfriend if it was ours, and just kinda blew it off. Upon returning to our room, my girlfriend made a comment that our room looks like a disaster. I figured we were just messy as we were in the second leg of our trip and had a long drive the day before.

We continued with our trip and left the next morning for home. After attending a hockey game on Saturday,(a day after leaving the hotel) we went to pay for some merchandise with cash, and noticed $900 Canadian missing from my girlfriend wallet. We had intended to exchange it a the mall of America but there's currently no money exchange there so we used credit and debit keeping the cash on us. We also noticed 150 Philippine pesos missing from my wallet which although worth next to nothing were a souvenir from a previous trip.

The only time our wallets were alone was when we were swimming at the country inn and suites in Bloomington, that, the key card not being in the shoe and the messy room lead us to believe that is where the money was stolen.

Because we were on the 6th floor and didn't see anyone on our floor or even in the elevator makes me wonder how even after obtaining our key card they would know which room we were in. We did not take the paper sleeve with the room number to the pool area at any time. We can only speculate that an employee is possibly involved. We believe this and the fact that the pool area is not secured by key card led to the theft.

Note, we also had 3 phones, an iPad, and jewellery in the room which they did not take. We assume because money is the only thing not traceable.

The services of the hotel, the check in process and the complimentary shuttle and breakfast were great. However this was still the worst experience either of us have had at a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Elle_adam
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Dear Elle_Adam,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. There is nothing more important to the Country Inn & Suites Mall of America than safety and security of our guests. I was surprised to first learn of the security concern on trip advisor. Upon reading your review we have began an internal investigation; however need a few more details. I hope we get the opportunity to work directly with you to fully explore the issue and resolve the matter. It is our genuine desire to provide a safe, comfortable, caring environment for all of our guests. We sincerely apologize for any security issues that may have tainted your experience. Again, we hope to explore the situation further with your assistance.

Sincerely, Heidi Olson, Regional General Manager