Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America
Ranked #5 of 42 Hotels in Bloomington
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed on New Year's Eve in a king suite and the service was great! We were greeted at the front desk with friendly people and every employee we encountered was very nice. The suite was clean and nicely prepared for us. We also enjoyed the breakfast in the morning. Thank you for a wonderful time!

Room Tip: If you want extra space, the king suite offered a nice "living room" type area.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jane1029
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your opinions of our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad you had a good experience with us. It's wonderful to hear my staff was friendly and helpful. I'm sure other travelers to the area will appreciate your tip about our suites, as well. I hope I'll have the opportunity to meet you in person during your next visit. Thank you again for the positive feedback. Best regards, Jodie Grannes

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We checked into the hotel having a king suite reserved. I asked that we be moved to a two queen suite since my mother decided to join us. After schlepping three young kids, my mom and our luggage to a room, I saw they moved us to a regular 2 queen room. I went back down to the desk and was told this room sells for the same price as a king suite. I find that incredibly surprising. I had to pay more for the 2 queen suite. I was also surprised that I was basically shunned for "booking with Expedia.' After that was all sorted out and a 'manager' told the desk agent to put us in a '24' room as they are quieter, we again went off to find our room. The room was very large and they layout was perfect for 3 little ones, my mom and me. We had an early flight the next morning and were anxious for quiet and a good night's sleep.

From the bedroom you could hear car doors slamming, people talking and the elevator going up and down the shaft all night. Not much sleep in the bedroom. From the living room, where the kids were sleeping, you could hear people talking, doors opening/closing and the ice machine all night. From everywhere in the room you could hear regular activities from adjoining rooms. Our neighbors were not loud. Walls were just incredibly thin.

We were out the door at 5:30am. It has snowed during the night and was still snowing. The walkways had not been touched with a shovel which made for an interesting walk to the car in over 4" of snow.

This was our second disappointing stay in a row at this hotel. Their proximity to the airport is appealing but we'll be staying elsewhere next time.

Room Tip: Don't pay more for the suites - you can hear everything from car doors closing in the parking lo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Heidi O, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to us to leave a review. We understand how important a quiet environment is and apologize you experienced less than our best. Please know that each of your issues are being addressed. We really appreciate your feeback as it helps us prevent situations such as this in the future. We hope you will give us another chance if you are in the area again, we would love work at exceeding your expectations.

Best regards,
Heidi Olson
Regional General Manager

Reviewed February 27, 2013

I recently stayed at the Country Inn & Suites Mall of America. The experience was great. The staff were quick & efficient and they were always keeping things neat and tidy. Guest service was very quick to respond to requests made and morning hotel breakfast area was nice, neat, cozy and the breakfast was good. The staff were quick to refill product. Pool and spa were very refreshing and the fitness room was sufficient. I would stay there again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lynn E
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to submit a review to Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us. I'm so happy to see you had a good experience with us and we really appreciate the positive feedback. We know other travelers to the area look for recommendations online, and you've provided them with great descriptions of the service and amenities we offer. I hope you'll be able to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the area. Sincerely, Jodie Grannes

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here in February of 2013 for three nights, with my relatives. The hotel was clean and had great environmentally sound practices. There are two "towers" to this hotel, and if you are with other people, I strongly recommend staying in the same tower...as the two only connect downstairs. (They each have their own elevators, and they are not next to eachother). I stayed in the West tower (6th floor), and had a quiet room. My MIL had a suite next to the elevator (4th floor)in the other tower, and it was loud all day and night, with the sound of the elevator. The breakfast provided, was very good...although the breakfast room was full often. Also, the front desk had times where they were overwhelmed with guests and were not very quick with moving people through. The free shuttle from Mall of America is packed full for the evening run, so we ended up walking back and forth...which turned out OK. It was 8*, but with coats...we hustled across the street and didn't have to wait for the shuttle that way, or pack into the seats. One Mall of America tip...get a locker for $6 for the day, and you can dump your coat and packages as you go. If you are going to do this...get one right away, as they "sell out"!

Room Tip: There are two pools and two spas, if you have kids. Also free cookies in the jar At All Times!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to recommend our hotel. I'm so glad to see you appreciate the cleanliness and environmental efforts of my staff. We take a great deal of pride in running a responsible business. I apologize about the noise issues your mother-in-law experienced with being near the elevator and I appreciate her patience with the situation. Thank you also for providing tips to other travelers to Mall of America. I'm sure your first hand experience speaks volumes and will be appreciated. Best regards, Jodie Grannes

Reviewed February 24, 2013

We stayed here for the second time and have had a great experience both times! The staff was very friendly and helpful, and made us feel very welcome. The hospitality suite that we stayed in this time was very comfortable, and I'm very happy we chose it. The mattress on the sofa was very comfortable as well, which is unusual. The complimentary breakfast was very good, and had something for everyone. The overall cleanliness was pleasing as well.

The only downside to this hotel is the parking. There aren't a lot of spaces available, but if you are patient, you will find one. The fact that they offer shuttle service is very helpful.

I will definitely recommend this location to others, and will plan on staying here in the future.

Thanks!

• Stayed: February 2013

Thank you very much for posting such nice feedback about our hotel on Trip Advisor. I'm so glad to see you were back to stay with us again and I really appreciate your positive comments. I'm very glad you liked the breakfast and the cleanliness standards in our hotel. I'm also happy you were impressed with the comfort of the sofa sleeper. They are pretty unique because they don't have any bars and the mattress is made of memory foam. Thank you for your patience with the parking situation. This is new for us and we think we have found the source of the problem. I believe we've taken steps to ensure we won't continue to have this problem, so I'm confident you won't have any trouble finding a close park to park during your next visit. Thank you again, Jodie Grannes.

Reviewed February 23, 2013

We have stayed at The Country Inn &Suites Mall of America twice per year for the last four years. The staff have always been most gracious and accommodating taking us to and from the airport. Our rooms have always been clean. Plus it is a bonus having IHops, TGFridays, and the Mall so close. They have also been generous enough to give our group a ride to Target after mall hours. Just a great place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded February 24, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding our hotel. It's very gratifying to hear that my staff provides you with consistently great service. "Gracious" and "accommodating" are adjectives I love to see! We know you have many choices when traveling to our area and we really appreciate that you've stayed with us repeatedly over the last four years. Please introduce yourself if you have the opportunity during your next visit. Thank you again for your heartfelt compliments regarding our hotel. Best regards, Jodie Grannes

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for two nights prior to a flight from Minneapolis to Orlando and one night after our return. We drove down from Winnipeg and parked our vehicle at the hotel through the trip as part of their park and fly rate. We paid standard rate for the first night on the way down and the second night we paid the park and fly rate which includes 7 nights of parking, extra nights are $10.

The parking is not in a secured location but there were no issues with vehicle during the 12 nights we were parked there.

The hotel is right across the street from the Macy’s entrance to the Mall of America and we were able to just walk across the street in just a couple minutes.

They have a couple shuttle vans that were easy to book and they have a good system for calling the shuttle when you arrive back at the airport that they explain and provide in an easy to carry card form to keep with you.

The shuttle worked well with very courteous drivers both ways – it was a quick load and drop at the airport without any issues. On the way back the shuttle was already on the way to pick up other guests so we had a very short wait returning to the hotel as well.

Staff members at the hotel were very courteous and well trained.

The pool area was nice with 2 sets of identical spas and pools. The area was well maintained but my wife who has a pool maintenance business was surprised at how salty the pools were even for a salt water pool.

The rooms we had were clean and well maintained but perhaps a bit small but serviceable as we were only there for one to two nights. The rooms had a mini fridge and a microwave.

On top of this the hotel had a continental breakfast with select hot breakfast items that was very convenient and opened early enough for early travelers and stayed open late enough for people getting a later start. The hot food was decent for mass produced eggs, waffles, etc but wasn’t extremely good but about what you would expect. The breakfast room itself had plenty of seating and was well maintained and the serving area was kept clean.

There is also a TGI Fridays attached to the hotel that was very convenient and well managed.

Basically the hotel was very good for what it is meant for – a short stay hotel catering to business travelers and some families. We would stay here again under the same circumstances.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
JodieLG, Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Bloomington at Mall of America, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide great information for other travelers regarding our hotel. I'm so glad you were able to take advantage of the park and stay service and I want to thank you for recognizing the drivers and other employees that made a positive impression on you. I hope your wife is a fan of the chlorine sanitizing. We have had very positive feedback from our guests; especially when our Minnesota winters are so dry. The saline seems to be very mild on skin, eyes and bathing suits. Thank you again for recommending our hotel to other travelers and I'm very happy to know you'll be back to stay with us again. - Jodie Grannes, Hotel Manager