“old and musty” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 43 Hotels in Bloomington
Bethalto, Illinois
“old and musty”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2014

We spent Wed-Sunday at the Days Inn. When we first arrived, the desk clerk was extremely rude. I asked a question about a charge and she was curt and rude, so I said nothing else, nor did she. We went to our room and opened the door, and the musty smell was so strong. We had to open the windows, but then realized that the screen was torn out of the window. Don't bother asking for an extra towel, bc there are none to be had. How 4 people are to share 3 towels is beyond me. The carpet was soiled and very old. It needs to be updated and the staff need to be more friendly. I would of paid an extra 10 bucks to stay somewhere a little nicer.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014

So, first... I should say that most of the hotel staff wasn't unfriendly, but they were unprofessional in that they didn't follow standard hotel procedure for safety. #1) They said my name and what room I was in loudly, while I had people standing behind me. #2) We had to get duplicate keys several times throughout the course of the weekend. At no time did a single person ask to see my ID card while requesting keys, or even verify more detailed information. Considering that the person we asked each time was completely different, I can't even say that this was a case of recognition.

All rooms are supposed to have refrigerators in them, and I had called two weeks prior to my arrival to ensure this. When we arrived, the refrigerator was just gone. Even if this was a last-sell room, we should have been notified at check-in instead of hoping we'd just not notice. To the staff's credit however, they managed to find and fix a refrigerator and get it to our room by the end of the evening.

The doors don't close by themselves, so you have to be very careful about shutting the door behind you. The floors of the upper hallways are very uneven at some points, and my friend tripped. She twisted her ankle pretty badly, and we had to get her a foot brace.

The breakfast was okay as far as motel breakfasts go. The girl who was working the dining area seemed very polite and nice.

Overall, I probably won't be staying at this hotel again, especially considering that the other hotels in the immediate area are similarly priced. But, if I had one major thing to critique... please put your employees through safety training! Don't just give out keys to anyone who asks, and don't announce the room number out loud!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2014

Helpful courteous staff on all shifts. Housekeeping friendly and rooms very clean. Breakfast area clean and food trays kept filled. Knowledgeable staff of area dining and directions. Easy to get in and out. Quiet area.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
TEMPE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2014

For some reason, hotels were expensive during the period I was visiting the Twin Cities, so I was shopping for a deal. I wanted something with an airport shuttle, free breakfast and a pool. The best deal I could find for this particular period was the Days Inn. They run a shuttle, though the place is not really near the airport. When I got there, I found the front desk was friendly and helpful. The room was anything but new -- this is an old hotel (60s, maybe?) and it is well-kept, but the furnishings are not new in any way. Still, the bed was comfortable, there were lots of pillows, and there's a fridge and microwave.

Instead of a closet there is a clothes rack by the door. Towels are skimpy especially if your body is ample. The bathroom is basic. The neighborhood is sparse, though there is a Chili's next door, if that appeals to you.

The pool is clean and used by lots of people. Breakfast offers the ubiquitous waffle machines, cereal, breads, yogurt and a hot item, which was sausages and little squares of egg filled with molten cheese. Who knows what the stuff was made of, but it was filling. I was very surprised that the place was as quiet as it was. I was two doors from the swimming pool and was not bothered by anyone.

Would I stay there again? If the price were right again, sure, though it is a bit removed from things. If you stay there and are driving, make absolutely sure you know how the get there. The address is Normandale Avenue, but I am pretty sure the hotel itself is located on another street altogether, and the first time you try, it just is not easy to find.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank tomcat33333
Green Isle, Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

We stayed here in October 2013. This is an older property that is looking pretty tired. Had two rooms on the first floor, a king room and a double queen. We were traveling with adult children who were visiting from out of State and wanted to go to Mall of America. The front desk staff was very friendly. The rooms were clean and neat, but very dated. The king room had carpet that was slightly damp. Since they were full we couldn't change rooms.The pool area was fine. The ones that swam enjoyed it. There was a lot of noise earlier in the evening, but by 10pm it had really quieted down. We would stay here again if we had to. I hope they update their rooms, and fix the dampness problem. Overall, it wasn't too bad.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Joplin, Missouri
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

Flying out early in the morning. I have 3 bags and my room was on the second floor. Sorry sir we don't have an elevator. The finally moved me too another room on the first floor. The staff is amazing! The property is really poor. People staying here long term, yes like living here. Soiled carpets. Doors that won't open to the outside. Poor smell in lobby though rooms smell fine. It's doubtful you will like this property. I don't recommend it.

Room Tip: Move on. I can't imagine this old motel will even remain a days inn.