“Surprising quality for a mall restaurant” 4 of 5 bubbles

CANTINA #1
Ranked #143 of 224 Restaurants in Bloomington
Cuisines: Mexican, Southwestern, Bar
Good for: Bar scene, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Minneapolis
“Surprising quality for a mall restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

The place was very crowded on a Saturday evening although between the bar and the restaurant it can hold many people. The escort was super friendly and welcoming, and our waitress Snooki was attentive.
We were disappointed that the soft shell crab shooters were gone so we ordered the shrimp soup and langostine tacos - there is a Tex Mex menu too which we were not interested in. CHips are not complimentary, we ordered them for $2.45 and asked for a hot salsa; Snooki bought us 2 different kinds of hot ones. The house margarita was pretty good. The soup in a tomato broth with potatoes and carrots was excellent - the flavors were perfectly balanced. Langostine tacos came together well with the fish, avocado and beans. I could have eaten a lot more of the rice served on the side.
Service can definitely be better. We asked for an extra spoon from another waitress and she never came back with one. Our waitress didn't offer us the dessert menu, just brought us the check. But I'd go back for the food.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Galena, Illinois
“Cold Beer and relaxing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

I had cold beers but the Margaritas were only average. My wife and others were hoping for something special. it was ok place and appetizers were a little above average

Visited December 2012
Mobile, Alabama
“Service was so slow”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012 via mobile

This place is in the Mall of America on the top level. In a place where food choices abound this restaurant surely does not stand out. There were very few people here and yet the service was so slow. We got frustrated because employees were standing around and ignoring customers. The food was average tex mex and a little pricey. I did have the Panlano soup and it was really good.

Northwest Indiana
“SLOW SLOW SERVICE”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2012

I was at the mall Nov 16 thru Nov 18 and ate here on Sat. night. Since I was by myself, they put me at a table far in the corner. I waited 15 minutes for the waiter to come over to take my drink order and another 20 minutes for him to bring it. He claimed it was because they ran out of mix since other tables were getting their drinks, but I had watched the bartender make my drink when the waiter realized he forgot mine and it sure didn't look like anyone had to bring him the mix. Since I had placed my food order at the same time I had placed my drink order (good think I did or I'd probably still be waiting for it) I got my food about 15 minutes after my drink. I had the tortilla soup which wasn't bad but the next time I saw the waiter he handed me my check never asking how thing were. Then I made the mistake of having a coupon which held me up for about another 20 minutes. I wouldn't go here again, service slow, food was ok, but they don't even give you free chips and salsa!

• Visited November 2012
Island Lake, Illinois
“Not even close”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Food was decent, but average. Best thing I had was actually the queso dip appetizer... that was very good. Went on a Monday with a large company group, and despite our reservation, they closed the restaurant so we had to crowd together in the bar area. To make matters worse, they ran out of Corona! What kind of Mexican restaurant runs out of Corona? They weren't even that busy. Once there were no 12 oz left, we were switched to 24 oz... 6 beers later, they ran out of those, too! Wouldn't even offer us a discount on the only thing they had left (8 oz ponies). Seriously disappointed. Won't be going back.

• Visited November 2012