“Awesome place to stay!”

The Lodge at Giant's Ridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Biwabik
Reviewed March 7, 2014

I had read the reviews on this site and was not sure what to expect when I got there. I was greeted and felt right at home by the staff, we had stayed in a 4 bedroom and the room was amazing! Beds were comfortable, and kitchen was very clean and well stocked. The living room was chilly however instantly warmed up with the beautiful fireplace. All other bedrooms were perfect temperature which was surprising considering how cold it was outside. There was no stove but the hot plate did the trick for cooking and we had brought our own electric fry pan for eggs and bacon, Great size fridge fit everything we needed. Loved that you could cozy up by the fireplace after a long day of snowboarding or relax in the hot tub! Also it was nice that the lobby had amenities such as free wifi and pool tables. Overall great stay and experience! Thank you to the staff for the great experience.

Room Tip: We were hillside which you can from time to time hear the groomer machines. If you want quiet reques...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Snowmag

Reviewed March 4, 2014

I had previously stayed at the Lodge at Giants Ridge about a year ago and I must say it was rather disappointing, considering the location and the fact that one of the really great ski hills is outside the backdoor. I understand it's under new management and have things changed 180 degrees for the better! Everything that was bad, missed or ignored from my first stay was perfect this time. The people are friendly, informed, helpful. The rooms are absolutely great - clean, spacious, wonderful amenities. (to be fair, the rooms were always spacious, just not so clean and really lacking amenities...like shampoo) The restaurant has a new menu and the food was fantastic. There's a great northern MN feel to this resort. Will definitely be back. They have two outstanding golf course here, (again, one right outside the door) and if this winter ever ends, I will bring the whole family here. Plenty of space, plenty to do. Kudos for the turn-around!

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious, but grab a two bedroom overlooking the ski hill.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank sartelltraveler
Reviewed February 2, 2014

Hi, just got back from a weekend ski outing at Giants Ridge. Thoroughly enjoyed the facilities and will definitely return. Loved the pool and homey room. I need to mention the great customer service I received. I left some clothes behind and the GM saw to it that they were quickly mailed
to me. Fantastic!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank MarkMGT
Leisure-Management, Manager at The Lodge at Giant's Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2015

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your 5 star rating and wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Have a wonderful day.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I understand that this lodge is in the process of changing management. So I wanted to provide the new management with feedback to help them improve the client experience.

The positives are that the room was very clean, and had many nice amenities - kitchen, whirlpool, Murphy bed. And the decor had a nice woodsy theme. However, the pillows on the bed elevated my head half a foot minimum, and it was a constant battle to keep the room less than sweltering (which was impressive because it was -20 outside). Our room was right next to an exit, and slammed throughout the night. Needless to say, sleep was difficult.

Front desk service was also less than ideal - arrived at 7;30pm to find a sign that said they would be back soon. When we called down the next day to ask for a second roll of TP, we were told we needed to come down to get it because they were busy dealing with pool issues. Also learned that our CC had been charged 21 days prior to our stay. I suspect all of this is a consequence of being in transition, but moving forward they'd benefit greatly by handling things with a bit more finesse.

The Lodge has great rooms, and with improved management it would be a nice place to stay. Hoping this feedback helps as they transition ownership. On bright side, lots of room for improvement that is completely under their control.

Room Tip: Avoid room 102 (located right next to exit door which slams loudly throughout the night)
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank mckmpls
Chris A, General Manager at The Lodge at Giant's Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2014

Hello my name is Chris Ayers I'm the General Manager here at The Lodge at Giants Ridge. I want Thank you for your visit. I'm new to the property and want to invite you back to the Lodge and experience our hospitality and enjoy our amenities .I apologize for the exit door keeping you up all night and the front desk service you were offered. All of you input will help us turn this property around. The pillows in your room are unsatisfactory and will be replaced. We pride our selves on customer service and we want you to have a wonderful experience while staying here at The Lodge at Giants Ridge.. We are working hard to improve the property daily and continue to being the best in hospitality. We hope to see you in the future. Best Regards

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed at the Lodge at Giants RIdge on 091713. The room was perfect for us it had the
"UP NORTH" room feel with the pine logs, and wildlife motiff. We had a suite type room with a seperate king size bed room in one room and a living room with a couch, TV and kitchen area in the other. We did not find the people working there to be anything special. It seemed that they were, just there for the paycheck. We went into Biwabik for dinner (disappointing) and the town seemed.... well.... lacking any character for tourisism. Even though many buildings had a Swiss Alps look, there were many buildings vacant and there seemed to be no life to the town. Maybe it was because the time of the year. Would we go back possibly but I would look at other options nearby too.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jailere
Chris A, Manager at The Lodge at Giant's Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2014

Hello my name is Chris Ayers I'm the General Manager here at The Lodge at Giants Ridge. I want Thank you for your visit in September. I'm new to the property and want to invite you back to the Lodge and experience our hospitality and enjoy our amenities. We pride our selves on customer service and we want you to have a wonderful experience while staying here at The Lodge at Giants Ridge.. We are working hard to improve the property daily and continue to being the best in hospitality. We hope to see you in 2014 and Thanks for staying with us.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

1st- got wrong room. Was told at the of reservation only had king whirlpool suite. Checked in and not in that room. I had to bring to their attention. Management claims they adjusted the price, I am unsure. Too expensive.
2nd-traveled alone with toddler. No breakfast. I found room service slip in binder in room, went to turn in only to find out NO room service. NO milk in any of their facilities to purchase. Finally last day got my son milk from small coffee shop after asking-knowing milk is needed for a latte.
3nd- room never serviced. Had to call for towels.
4th- thank god I traveled with both room keys, one didn't work. Exchanged for another not to work
5th- ac or ventalation screwed up. Rude desk staff when I called to ask.
6th- general glances at room is nice, but you begin to notice dirty walls, chipped furniture. Stains, leaky toilet.

Very unhappy. Never again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Ann A

Hello my name is Chris Ayers I'm the General Manager here at The Lodge at Giants Ridge. I want Thank You for your visit back in June 2013. I'm new to the property and want to invite you back to the Lodge and experience our hospitality and enjoy our amenities. We pride our selves on customer service and we want you to have a wonderful experience while staying here at The Lodge at Giants Ridge.. We are working hard to improve the property daily and continue to being the best in hospitality. I'm aware of those issues you had in the past and we are working hard to correct them. I apologize for your inconvenience. A lot has changed since your last visit, management, staff and our customer service values.We hope to see you in 2014 and thanks again for staying with us. I hope to see you soon.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Dear Customer Service:

After driving 7 hours to this accommodation I was advised that I was not in this room! It was the first trip with my 5 and 7 year old daughters, so you might imagine I was very disappointed not to have the room I'd selected.

I am not aware of any rebate for the lower class of room.

I was dismayed by the lack of cleanliness in the room. We found beer cans under the futon couch. There were no pots to prepare pasta. The carpet was very dirty. I noted that broken Christmas trees remain up in the lobby.

The noise control on Monday night was appalling! It went on well after 2am. There was smoking outside of the bedroom window.

The hotel does not offer breakfast. Neither does the "chalet", where I was directed by the desk staff.

I do not feel I received value for the money spent. There are significant problems both with "central reservations" and the property itself.

I would encourage you to begin by making things right with me. I am sure I am not the only customer you will hear from.

Yours truly,

Clay Hammett

Room Tip: Do not book through Central Reservations. Book directly with the hotel to obtain the room you want.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CLAYMATI0N
Chris A, General Manager at The Lodge at Giant's Ridge, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Dear Guest,

My name is Chris Ayers and I’m the new general manager here at The lodge at Giants Ridge. I want to thank you for your kind remarks and patronage. Your comments expressing the overall qualities of The Lodge at Giants Ridge are greatly appreciated. We are working hard to restore the property gore values which are offering the best customer service. I apologize for any inconvenience during your stay and I want to invite you back to the Lodge to experience our new team and our new customer service values.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your comments.

Chris Ayers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Biwabik
Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron
#1 of 2 in Eveleth
Villas at Giants Ridge
Villas at Giants Ridge
#1 of 1 in Biwabik

Been to The Lodge at Giant's Ridge? Share your experiences!