“Great Golf, Below Average Room”

The Lodge at Giant's Ridge
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Biwabik
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I had a great time on two of the best golf courses in Minnesota. The dinner at the Lodge Restaurant was excellent. But, The Lodge had lost our reservation for 12 and the rooms were not serviced during our two night stay. The AC did not have enough power to keep the room cool. Great location for golfers or skiers, but be prepared to be unimpressed on the room or get a Villa.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank David S

Reviewed July 10, 2012

We went to The Lodge and stayed in a one-bedroom suite, which was decent. However, we were there the first part of July and it was extremely HOT!!! The lobby was not air conditioned, and the bar and restaurant were extremely warm and stuffy. This place is not equipped to handle warm weather!! We went with another family and there wasn't a good place to hang out together because it was so hot in the areas where you would normally do that. The outside deck on the back of the Lodge gets the afternoon sun, so that was not an option either. I do have to say that the food in the restaurant was great and we enjoyed biking on the trails. The guys golfed at the Quarry and enjoyed that. I highly recommend going into Biwabik and eating pizza at Vi's. However, keep in mind that the AC doesn't work well in that place either. So it is best to save your stay for cooler days and nights!!

Room Tip: If you go with another family, be sure to request rooms close to each other at the time of your rese...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Arzdorffam
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We have stayed at The Lodges and we don't golf!! They have great rooms with a seperate bedroom, beautiful full kitchen and the whirlpool bathroom is huge and cozy. The bar and restraunt have very good meal choices. We love to stay here and travel to different cities like Ely, Virigna Tower, and your not too far from the Soudan Underground Mine.

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank Gail H
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed here over the holiday weekend. The room was very nice, nearly full kitchen including dishes, huge jacuzzi tub, comfy bed... It wasn't very busy for a holiday weekend, but maybe the weather kept some people away. Pool area and hot tub were nice.

The only problem we had was with the service int he restauant/lounge. The posted hours were 11am-11pm daily. We went down for dinner at 9 on Saturday night. We were seated right away and told that our server would be right with us. There were only two other tables of people in there at the time, at least one server (I think there were two, plus the girl who sat us down,) and a bartender. After about five minutes, I just happened to get spotted by the bartender when he was grabbing salt and pepper off a neighboring table for some other customers. He came over and asked if we had been helped. No. Well, could he get us something to drink? I asked for two waters. My guy came back from the restroom, and we waited a few more minutes. We never got our waters. After about 12 minutes total, we got up and left.

Maybe it's just me, but I expect the service to be better in a $200/night hotel.

Room Tip: The vending/ice area on the 2nd floor was extremely loud, so you may want to stay away from that end...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Krista S
Reviewed March 9, 2012

My son and I spent a weekend at Giants Ridge in early March for a ski tournament. This was our first time to both this hotel and this ski area. We really liked both and will definitely return. Check in was smooth and easy, they had carts available to lug all of our stuff (which is alot when you have ski stuff, food, etc...). We had a 1 bedroom and it was very nice with a small closet right in the entry to store all the ski stuff out of the way. I liked having a kitchen, it saved us time and money to be able to have breakfast in our room. My son slept on the fold down murphy bed and said it was very comfortable. It was a little bit of a pain to have to move the futon and coffee table each day to pull the bed down but overall, not a big deal. The king bed in the bedroom was very comfortable. The decor was nice and north-woodsy... The bathroom was decent size. The front desk was able to arrange a late check out for us which really helped since we were racing on Sunday. Easy access out the bottom floor to hit the slopes... Overall, we would definitely return to stay here!

Room Tip: I think slope side would be a little quieter especially in the winter with snowmobilers coming and g...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2012

The saying "Minnesota nice" does not apple here. We recently just stayed for 2 nights with our family and the front desk people were rude when we checked in, the housekeeping staff were extremely rude and ignored me while I was standing right in front of her, the gal at the ski shop was put out that she had to get off her chair and help us in getting our lift tickets, so overall pretty dissapointed since the room and everything was NOT cheap! The room itself was nice except the bed was slanted and the room was FREEZING. The lobby was pretty dirty and they seemed to be understaffed. We have stayed here before and it was not this bad, not sure if we will stay again. I don't expect my butt to be kissed just cuz I spent a lot of money but some common courtesy sure would have been appreciated.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
9  Thank Steph128
Reviewed February 17, 2012

Arrived here to cross country ski for a few days. This place is awesome. The trails are great and they have several for all abilities. The room is nicely appointed with a whirlpool and gas fireplace in the bedroom. The food is awesome as is the service and its reasonably priced. They have a decent workout room and a great spa. I had a terrific massage from Ann .I can't speak for the downhill sking but people look like they are having fun. The only downside and its not a huge deal is that they need to keep the lobby up a bit better. If they would run a vacume around it would improve the look so much. I'm happy to be here and I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank AbbeyD07
Also consider these accommodations in or near Biwabik
Holiday Inn Express Suites Mountain Iron
#1 of 1 in Biwabik
Lakeshore Motor Inn
Lakeshore Motor Inn
#1 of 4 in Virginia

Been to The Lodge at Giant's Ridge? Share your experiences!