“Bring your bug spray!”
Review of Scenic State Park

Scenic State Park
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Bigfork
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular for its beach, fishing pier and red and white pines.
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stopped into scenic state park for the day and hiked out to Chase Point after finding out the fire tower was all locked up. There are two large campgrounds, boat launch, swimming area and picnic spots. It was a bit later in the day, and I had forgot to put on any bug spray so I must have been extra attractive for the flies and mosquitoes. Chase Point trail starts out in a bit of a swampy area and quickly elevates to a ridge line between Coon & Sandwick lakes. The trail itself is pretty flat with drop offs to either side down to the lake. You walk out on the peninsula through old growth White Pine, Red Pine, Cedar and Birch. I was a bit disappointed to find the end of the trail closed as they try to reestablish some vegetation. I totally understand but this is kind of why you hike out to the end of a peninsula is to take in the views. This park would be a great fishing destination or perhaps for any activity on the water but I'm not sure it offered a ton of other opportunities worth the drive.

2  Thank TryppAdams
in 5 reviews
in 7 reviews
in 12 reviews

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This state park is beautiful and particularly good for hiking and canoeing. I have not camped there, as I stay at a nearby cabin, so I cannot review the camping. I have visited for hiking and canoeing and really enjoy the scenery and trail options. Definitely a must-see in Chippewa National Forest!

2  Thank DenverTravelGuy
Reviewed August 24, 2012

We were attracted to Scenic initially as my Dad had helped in construction of the Park in the early 1930s as a worker in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) during the depression. Our daughters and three grandsons camped at Scenic for four days while we stayed in nearby Grand Rapids. The campsites are beautifully laid out and one is hardly aware of neighbors.
Many old growth red and white pines tower over the sites. Sites are designed for tent or small camping trailer or drive thru for larger units. There are also a number of tent sites accessible by a short hike. A beautiful lake offers fishing from canoe, kayak, or rowboat, bring your own or rent at park office and a swimming beach.
Many of the buildings were constructed by the CCCs including a rental cabin. The large lodge offers shelter during inclement weather with a fireplace and numerous photos documenting park development.
For folks who love the outdoors, Scenic is about as good as it gets.

3  Thank John N

Been to Scenic State Park? Share your experiences!