“Fair”

Ranked #1 of 22 Restaurants in Big Lake
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stopped in after having driven past this restaurant numerous times. Were seated immedaitely for dinner. Very good service. Average food. Husband ordered a chicken meal and stated it was tough. How do you make tough chicken?! I had the reuben which was average - at best. It was served open-faced and had two slices of corned beef on each side. The meat was not chewy though. Son ordered the chicken alfredo. Said it was good. Would stop in again, but not make a special trip. Again, the server was good and very attentive.

Reviewed December 2, 2012

Four of us dined here at Christmas time, and it was beautifully decorated. There is a huge tree in the atrium, as one enters the establishment. There are many quaint and beautifully decorated rooms, each with a Christmas tree. I hear the view of Big Lake is very nice, although we dined on a winter evening. Service was over the top! I would recommend the Spinach Artichoke Dip if you are looking for a good appetizer! This is a wonderful place for a special occasion, or any time!

2  Thank tbones
Reviewed October 19, 2012

I absolutely loved Russell's on the Lake/Russell's Catering! They are very professional and everything got done exactly as I had asked. Darek is so experienced in this field that he made great suggestions when I didn't know what to do. I highly recommend Russell's Catering! What a great value too!

1  Thank Goodfoodman702
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Russell's catered my wedding reception of appetizers and in many ways they did a great job. The price was very good, they were easy to work with and the food was good. In addition, they were very accommodating, cutting and serving my wedding cake without additional charge, when I did not order it from them. Things went great working with the manager, Darek. However, at the actual event, Darek was not present and things were just a little off and not quite professional.

I came into the kitchen before the event and found the Russell's staff eating my desserts that I had purchased from another vendor. The desserts I bought from Russel's were balanced precariously on the serving table so that when the first one was lifted from the tray, the whole tray slid off the table and they were gone. Also, they must have forgotten to bring enough serving dishes, because they rummaged through the kitchen at the church where the reception was being held and used church serving trays, and many of the dishes were put out with no serving utensils.

These are all relatively minor things that would not otherwise bother me much, but the thing that makes me write this review is that they did not provide all the food I was promised. My contract said "assorted cheese and cracker tray" and there was a nice tray of cheeses, but no crackers to eat it with. And I was also supposed to have an appetizer of mushrooms stuffed with walleye and wild rice which was not served at all.

When I communicated with Darek afterward, he claimed that there were 230 of them there, but they just went very fast. However, I am certain that is not the case. My wedding was relatively small--only 111 people and I knew 90% of them personally. Afterward, I spoke to many guests, at every point in the line, and none of them saw any mushrooms. In addition, my adult daughter is a vegetarian and knowing the menu ahead of time, was looking for them as soon as the food was served, and didn't find them. There is no way 230 mushrooms could have disapppeared in 10 minutes with all the other appetizers available and only 111 people present.

I am sure Darek believes the mushrooms were served, but he either did not take the trouble to check into what happened, or the staff had an accident with them and did not tell the truth about it. So, if you do choose to hire Russel's for event catering, I would strongly recommend insisting that Derek is on site. It is obvious he does not get the correct information from his staff.

2  Thank Susan H
Reviewed August 17, 2012

I love the selection of items on the salad bar. The soups are delicious and the entrees very tasty. The decor has several smaller rooms filled with antiques. At Christmas it is stunning!

1  Thank Cheryl S