My husband and I, our adult daughter and her two children ages 14 and 3 stayed one night. No complaints about the room or the facilities. We had a bad experience with a styrofoam cup filled with hot water from the dispenser in the breakfast area. Our daughter was making her 3-year old son instant oatmeal after late swimming. He grabbed the cup, thinking it was oatmeal, and it quickly tipped over his entire chest. Because of the large area affected we were advised to bring him in to the local hospital's E.R. He received $120 ointment, Children's Tylenol, non-stick pads and a wrap to keep them on. It was traumatic for all of us, but mostly for him.
The hotel's management said the water was 120 degrees, but our grandson's skin was blistered with 2nd and 3rd degree burns. There was no First Aid help of any kind available at the desk. So far their response is, "It's not our fault". We are consulting with a lawyer and understand that every business in our state must carry Premise Liability, a minimum of $5000 medical coverage.
None of us slept well and when I finally did fall asleep a loudly blowing train whistle woke me up at 4:30 a.m. I decided to just call it a night and get up!