“Hotel review”

Hampton Inn & Suites Bemidji
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Bemidji
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Very nice, clean and quiet. Beautiful view on lake and beds so comfortable one didn't want to get up! Did think the notes regarding clean sheets and duvet were odd and all over the place. Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: ask for lakeside
Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 12, 2012

Thank you for a wonderful review, I am most pleased with your comments about the clean rooms and comfortable beds! I look forward to you staying with us again! Enjoy the rest of your summer!

Reviewed July 7, 2012

Trip in late May 2012 with spouse and 2 young children. Wanted a nice place with pool for kids after spending most of the time at Lake Itasca State Park.

Large room, clean. Beds more uncomfortable than expected relative to price point. Pool was great for younger kids (especially our 3 year old) but way too much chlorine and after 45 minutes lots of complaints of sore eyes.

There was a wedding going on during one of the two days that we were there but didn't interfere with anything that we were doing, and the staff seemed to keep this under control.

The complimentary continental breakfasts were decent but standard.

The Green Mill restaurant attached to the hotel was quite nice and seemed to be better run/managed than the same places that we have been to in the Twin Cities.

The air conditioner had problems but was fixed without any noticeable delay.

Would go again if price point was lower. We got the impression that this was the nicest hotel in the city.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and hope we can serve you in the future. You mentioned the cost was a bit pricey, and I can assure you our rates are in line with other similar hotels in the area. Bemidji is a tourist town, and with being right on the lake and so close to shopping and restaurants it does affect our pricing. We do try to even it out by offering a complimentary hot breakfast, complimentary wireless internet, an exercise room, pool and hot tub to name a few perks. We certainly understand the need to spend wisely and hope that your overall experience at the Hampton is a pleasant one. Thank you again and have a great day!

Reviewed July 6, 2012

We made our reservations at this hotel months ago, approximately Jan. 2012. We arrived at the hotel, after driving 350 miles, to find our room wasn't ready at 2:30 PM, but would be ready by 3:00 PM. We went shopping and returned to the hotel at 3:15 PM to be told our room still wasn't ready, but would be ready by 3:30 PM. We went sightseeing (dog tired, I might add) and returned to the hotel at 3:45 PM. Our room still wasn't ready and we were told they were having a "laundry issue" and didn't have clean linens to make the room ready. We protested as did others at the front desk waiting for their rooms. Voila! A few minutes later, our room was ready and we were given a discount on our room for our trouble. Once in the room, we couldn't have been happier. Everything was fresh, clean, and the hotel is very nice. It is on the shore of Lake Bemidji and would have been great had they not been having a wedding that day on the grounds. Our big complaint was that our room was not ready until right at 4:00 PM, and we were dog-tired! Otherwise, I would have rated the hotel a 5!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lake side of the property and your room will be fabulous!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I always appreciate guest feedback! I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and your room! I am very sorry that you were unable to check in until 4:00PM, thank you for your patience! Please know that late check-in is not normal at our property, and I hope that you will stay with us again when you are in Bemidji!

Reviewed July 5, 2012

a MASSIVE perk for my family needs was the hangers were removable from the closet... also that space was super generous. ... plentiful luggage carts, too even though hotel was PACKED. comfy seating in room as well as throughout the hotel

a family of 4 will often at hotels get a 2nd set of toiletries (IE shampoo) but that wasn't the case here, and I was rather surprised since Hampton is a nicer place, I assumed they'd be on the ball

Needed 2 extra pillows around 8pm and front desk was annoyed and said we MIGHT be able to get them..... but we had to come down the the front desk and fetch them ourselves. this might not be SUCH a huge deal except when I made my reservation I'd pre-ordered them

check in was uneventful but we were not able to get into our room early by even 10 minutes. check out was good and we got an extra hour so we could let the kids play longer and have baths

wake up call was good, breakfast was ehhh..... and BUSY. more space with more food needed for such a huge hotel

BIG PROBLEM: we happened to stay on july 4th. after going out to dinner and returning to hotel we had no place to park. in fact we ended up across the hwy at a gas station out of desperation. they had AMPLE STAFF to figure out a system for hotel guests to get to park on the premises. super disappointing!

worst bummer for my kids was that the pool is not chlorine (salt water?) burns the eyes and isn't pleasant for them. it's not advertised or warned so it was an un-fun surprise. most hotels let you know before hand at some point. pool area nice, crowded of course

bed OK, pillows and linens awesome. great towels. walls and windows VERY soundproof. wi-fi awesome, never cut out on me. everything was INCREDIBLY clean with exception of lampshades. GROSS! very odd since everything else (fridge, microwave, etc) was incredibly clean.

because of the pool and the weird pillow service we'll stay elsewhere on our next bemidji trip. it wasn't a disaster but we've stayed better places

Room Tip: 326 was us. SO QUIET, even though near elevator. rather a long walk to ice/vending
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for the response, as guest feedback is always extremely important to us! I am sorry that you experienced difficulties with parking when you returned from dinner. We did have 2 parking lot attendants staffed to assist with guest parking and this was the first comment I have received from a guest regarding parking on the evening of the 4th. Also, I am sorry you were disappointed in our saline pool. We recently converted and have had many positive comments from guests saying how much they enjoyed it. Thank you for your positive comments regarding the rooms and linens. I hope you will reconsider staying with our property again while in Bemidji.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed here for 1 night with the kids...and it was perfect. The Green Mill restaurant on site was also great...awesome patio dining! Pool was good, especially the hot tub that extends outdoors. Room was great...as I expect from a newer Hampton. Location overlooking Lake Bemidji is a great perk.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank Markjfargo
Management response:Responded July 9, 2012

Thank you for a wonderful review, I am most pleased with your comments. I hope you return soon!

Reviewed June 23, 2012

When I first walked in, I thought this was a 4-5 star hotel. Thanks to trip advisor reviews, I requested a lake front room and woke up to gorgeous sunrises, waterfowl paddling around just outside my window and the call of loons. I stayed here over a month, and although there are few hotels at which I would have been comfortable for such a length of time, this one fit the bill. So what's my complaint? This issue wouldn't have bothered me if I was here for a short stay with my family. Biut I was alone. far from home. A little friendliness would have gone a long way in making me feel welcome. At the front desk, there was universally two, three or sometimes four staff, heads bent over the computer or with their backs turned talking to each other. There were rarely other guests seeking help. Yet every day when I left or returned there was almost never any kind of acknowledgement. One enterprising soul Anthony did make a stab at saying "Hi" for a few days. The one time I asked about local attractions, they seemed clueless and uninterested. I have stayed at lower quality hotels where the staff have been friendly and asked about my day even during a short stay. For such a long stay, I think a manager should have contacted me to see how it was going or if I needed anything. There were a few issues such as my key card frequently failing, losing my internet connection daily, the refridgerator being more like a freezer and the slow TV connection that could have been dealt with. Do hotels realize that even for a business stay, the client usually has a choice? I was offerred several hotels to stay at in the Bemidji area, but chose the Hampton Inn. A little warmth would have gone a long way into making this gem even more spectacular.

Room Tip: get a lakefront room
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank PLUMBO
Management response:Responded June 25, 2012

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I'm sorry that you received a poor level of service from our staff; this is not the Hampton norm as our goal is Satisfaction Guaranteed. I have addressed these issues with our front office team and I don’t expect them to be an issue going forward. Also maintenance has been notified of the issues in your guest room and we wish you would have notified us while you were here, so we could have corrected them then. However, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the view in your room. We understand that you have a choice when traveling and we truly appreciate you choosing our hotel; the next time you are in the area we would love to have you come back and experience an improved level of customer service. Thank you once again for your comments.

Reviewed June 22, 2012

This hampton inn reminds me of Duluth location which i had stayed a couple of weeks before since it's located right in front of the lake. The hotel itself is a typical hampton with great big room, microwave & fridge in the room. I really do like the swimming pool area as it's bigger than average Hampton pool and perfect for family with children. The fitness center is located above the pool on 2nd floor. It's roomy and i believe it has 4 cardio machines with its individual tv and some free weighs. Breakfast is typical of Hampton, but when i was there around 8.30am, they ran out of hot meal and the oatmeal was a bit dry and hard to stir. The only problem i had was just a slow wi-fi. As other have mentioned, it's connected to Green Mills. There are a few fast food chains around the hotel area.
I definitely will be back next time i'm in the area as i like the location and love the view.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business