Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
“Dirty and rude”
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

Steer clear of this place. I called ahead to ask about staying with my husband and our two dogs, knowing that not all hotels welcome furry visitors. Over the phone, I was assured that it was no problem at all; they just had a small fee per dog, which I totally understand.

Then, I got to the hotel. The moment I walked through the door the staff screamed at me that "THOSE" aren't allowed in the lobby. No politely informing me of the pet entrance (again, something I understand the need for) just yelling. I had my husband take the dogs outside while I forked over not only the pet fee, but a $150 room deposit as well. The condescension and rudeness continued as I signed further paperwork okaying a guided room inspection. The staff made sure I was well aware that if my dogs made a peep, they'd throw us out.

I could've stomached that less that polite threat had I not discovered that everyone else in the hotel was free of the noise restriction. At least, that's what I gathered from the screaming that surrounded the room all night long. The non-smoking room that smelled odiously of cigarette smoke before we even opened the door to find the disgusting carpets.

To wrap it up: disgusting rooms, noisy atmosphere, incredibly rude staff, and not even remotely pet friendly. Stay far, far away from this place.

• Stayed May 2014
4 Thank Lauren A
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Hello Lauren A
Thank you for your review and observations of our facility, I do apologize that our staff came off the way they did. It is never our intention to be perceived as rude. I will work with our reservations team to insure that proper notification is given about our pet policies, so not to be surprised when arrived. I understand that you had to beautiful animals. Also I’m sorry of the condition of your room and the smell of smoke. We are a nonsmoking facility, so we do our best to limit smoke coming from the outside and follow a strict nonsmoking. I’m going to work with our staff to be more proactive in offering a room change even if it is declined the first time. We want to insure that you have the best experience possible. I am genuinely sorry that we left you with such a poor perception of our facility. We wish you safe travels in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Just checked in and rooms are super spacious / coffee pot in bathroom which is great because I DO use the coffee pot and never can seem to get the water into the pot without spilling a bit. Breakfast is included in the rate which is great and hotel is super close to anything you might need. Easy, friendly check-in. Everything looks very clean and updated.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, April 24, 2014
Thank you for your patronage! I too love my coffee and if I don't spill it on myself it's a great day! We strive to provide excellence for every guest, thank you for supporting our efforts.
Browerville, MN
Reviewed April 18, 2014

We stayed in the Queen suite with double bunk bed kids room.We booked the quick blast package. The room was very spacious. It has a nice chair for relaxing as well as a table and chairs to eat at. The queen bed was comfy.
The kids room has a TV with vcr and DVD player and also a PlayStation. There is a small table and two chairs. The beds are comfy as my father in law slept in there as well. The bathroom was large as well. The room has a fridge microwave and coffee maker too.
Our package included $10 in tokens for the arcade which is a little small but the kids had an awesome time. The prize choices are limited but not to bad. We also had a $10 certificate for apparel in the gift shop but they didn't have many choices. We did get a shirt for our 16 month old though.

We also had a certificate for a free large one topping pizza from the grill. The pizza was delicious and fed 5 of us with leftovers because of the appetizers we ordered. They have a nice selection of food at a reasonable price. We purchased alcoholic drinks for the adults and it was reasonable prices. The man behind the counter was very nice he held my wallet and phone for us.

The water park was nice for the kids and even us adults. The kids were 7,8 and 16 months. The only complaint was the lack of double tubes for the slide. And lack of an actual swimming pool.

The continental breakfast had a lot of variety which was nice.

• Stayed April 2014
Thank you so much for your patronage to our facility. I’m very excited to read about your experience, our team strives to provide excellence to every guest and thank you for supporting our efforts. We look forward to seeing you soon next time you are in the Brainerd Lakes Area!
Fitchburg, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Stayed here for work. Check in was a breeze. Holiday Inn had everything you would need for a stay away from home. Free breakfast in the morning complete with a pancake machine. The choice in Bear artwork can be questionable at times, but the wilderness theme throughout is commendable. Slept like a rock.

Room Tip: Second floor had no kids the night I stayed!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank JesseWhite
Thank you so much for your review on your previous stay! We are always happy to receive great reviews especially from an individual so well traveled like yourself. We will keep up the great work.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We took the kids here for an overnight getaway during spring break. The water park was great and the hotel was clean. They had a decent continental breakfast in the AM as well. Overall, this was great value for what we paid ($100). It is also close to dining and groceries as well. Will definitely go to this hotel again!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
Thank you for coming to visit us during Spring Break! We are having a blast creating a great time for all the families during their spring break period. We hope that you come to visit us soon on your next adventure to the Brainerd Lakes Area.
Saint Cloud, Minnesota
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Recently stayed here with my family and was pleasantly surprised with this hotel. First off you must realize that there is a water park and there will definitely be lots of children, but overall the noise was not to bad. The room was clean and the waterpark was a lot of fun. They even have an adults only hot tub, which was a nice touch. The staff at the front desk were very nice even though they were extremely busy. Even the free morning breakfast was pretty good. I have stayed across the street at the Arrowwood and preferred this hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Thank you! We appreciate your review and I'm happy to read that your experience matched what we promise when staying at our facility. We look forward to your future visits to the Brainerd Lakes Area and wish you safe travels.
Watertown, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed February 16, 2014

I live Mpls. The wife I needed A weekend away, We love going up north so we thought this would be descent place to stay. (It Wasn't) I expected ALOT kids (being it has a waterpark) But I didn't expect them to running up and down the hallways for hours. Granted not hotels fault by they should not allowed it. As far as the waterpark not that great. You aren't even allowed to bring a cup of coffee from their breakfast. They want you to buy EVERYTHING inside the park. After paying over 250 a night you should be able to bring in at least your own water. The waterpark wasn't even clean garbage everywhere. The Adult Hot tub wasn't bad ( But still messy) The rest of the water was so cold you couldn't hardly stay in it. The gym 2 treadmills and a bike does not make gym. No weights, dirty and sweaty smelling. In Feb. there is a lot of snow in Baxter. The sidewalks we barely shoveled along with parking lot. For a up north hotel that should be a huge deal. It hadn't snowed in a few days?? The hotel is to close to Hwy 371 so if your on the highway side you hear cars and trucks all night. I would not pick this place as my 1st choice or 2nd. I like staying in Holiday inns, I don't even mind spending over 350 for 2 nights. But I expect more then this place offers. But would never stay here again. It was overpriced and not worth it. CLEAN THIS PLACE UP!!!! From the rooms all the way to your Waterpark!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the back of this place no car noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tracy B
Thomas V, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Thank you Tracy B for your review on our facility, I’m saddened of your experience at our property. We definitely strive for excellence for all guests, but we do sometime miss the mark as I can read from your review. It was definitely a busy weekend for families enjoying the holidays and we find ourselves perplexed on managing children and managing demand. We will strive to better our approach on crowd control and cleanliness. I’m sorry about the miscommunication as well from staff or assumption on what can be brought in to the park. It is true we do not allow outside food in our park as it is conveniently located inside the park, we certainly welcome coffee from our breakfast area as it is part our establishment and not considered outside food. You are definitely correct in the need for upgrade in our fitness room, but until than we have set up an exclusive deal with FitQuest Athletic club located one block behind for our guests to utilize at their leisure during open hours.
Feel free to contact myself and we can speak further at any time, Thomas Vasecka 218-824-3232
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area

Been to Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter? Share your experiences!