“Good place”

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
woodbury, mn
“Good place”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We travelled with our 2 year old and were attracted wit a groupon deal. Our room had two queenbeds and on the 4th floor. Our time was quiet and pleasant. We spent couple of hrs in the waterpark. We were initially uncertain due to the recent health report, but felt better that the lodge is forthcoming about that incident. They have a disclosure when you check in. Also, looks like they have taken steps to keep it healthy by adding to the rigour. They monitor every kid and adult entering and leaving, which was a good sign. Water was warm. It is entirely indoor.If you have forgotten your child's safety vest, then they will give you one (We did forget ours).

The room was clean, it had a microwave and refrigerator. No kitchenware, but clean beds and couple of televisions and a clean bathroom. The staff at the front desk was helpful about giving information on what to do when in brainerd. We liked the breakfast, it is a good deal for the cost. There are a lot of non-residents who come for the breakfast, so it seems popular. It is situated close to whipple lake, which worked well for us.

However, as for the size, one should not try to compare this to bigger resorts like maddens or Kavanaugh. Think of it like a hotel with a mid-size waterpark. It is at a great location for families who need access to stores and being next to 371 and a lot of the big box stores within 1/2 mile, it provides the added advantage.

We stayed for couple of nights and had a good time.

Room Tip: 4th floor is a good option, there is nothing above your room to disturb you.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
New Glarus, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed August 6, 2012

This Lodge is a very good looking place and very clean. We were told one price over the phone and when we got there a different price. So the manager took matters into her own hands and moved us to a better room for the cheaper of the prices we were told. Then the next day, we got moved into an even better room for the rest of the week. We stayed Monday through Friday. The buffet was wonderful the first and second mornings, but became pretty old on the third day. It would be nice if they would rotate what they cook instead of having sausage and eggs every morning. At night, the noise was horrible. Paper thin walls. There was a bunch of dance girls who were running down the hallways, yelling, laughing--it was so rude. We had people in our room who had to get up at 5 the next morning to go to work. We called the front desk (although, I feel they should walk down the halls when it's 10:30 at night to make sure no one is being overly loud) and they said they would take care of it. People were still loud after we made the phone call, but the noise did go down quite a bit. The next night, we had to call again because of the dance girls. But, I do have to say, the king size bed I slept on was the best bed I've ever been on in my entire life. It was so comfortable! Moving on, the water park. It was horribly boring. The water only goes up to 3'6. I'm sure smaller children love it, but for teenagers and adults, it is not fun. No place to swim. Although, the indoor/outdoor hot tub was wonderful. The snack bar in there was nice as well. There was a snobby worker, but that was the only attitude I encountered my whole week there. The game room is pretty nice for a hotel like that one too. I suppose I should also comment on the rooms. They were wonderful and very clean. It was a cozy cabin feel--which I just love. Up-To-Date everything, which I was very enthused with. But, the cleaning people came to our room the first day and didn't even come in. They simply asked how many towels we needed. When I'm in a hotel room, I like for the cleaning staff to come in and make the beds, replace everything that we have used, vaccum, and take out the trash. I know it may be uncomfortable for them if there is people in the room, but we always stay out of their way. So, the next day, we made sure they came in and we told them everything we needed them to do. But, they forgot to vaccum. One of our co-workers were staying there with her two girls. Supposedly, the girls were each missing 20 dollars from their purses. We thought they had lost it themselves, but they had a receipt for everything they had bought and knew down to the exact penny what they were supposed to have in their purses. So, we believe the cleaning staff took their money when the girls went to the waterpark. Anyways, I'd say this hotel is a very nice hotel with pretty good customer service. The rooms were very nice, expect for the paper thin walls. I wish they had a better aquatic center, but I suppose you can't win all. Overall, I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: I'm guessing rooms that are at the top of the building are the quieter than the rest.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This is a delightful place. My wife and I stayed only for one night but we loved it. We flew into the Brainerd Airport at around noon and we were picked up by the hotel's complimentary shuttle bus (we had called them the night before to tell them what flight we were arriving on). The pilots of our flight also stayed at the same hotel and used the same shuttle. From the airport it took us about 10 minutes to reach the hotel. The place is huge and the lobby area is very welcoming. Each room has a Minnesota-themed name such as "Northern Pike", "Star of the North", "Wolf Cub" etc, which I thought was cute. The rooms themselves were spacious and very clean. The bed was made out of logs of wood which was rather interesting. The hotel also offered us a free pass to their water park which was a lot of fun. It made me feel like a kid again! We also had a bite at the hotel restaurant. The food was really tasty, the portions very generous and the staff really friendly (in true Minnesotan style)! If you want variety, there is a bunch of other restaurants within walking distance of the hotel. There is also a vending machine with snacks and drinks on the ground floor.

Too bad we had to stay there only for one night (we had to head north to another town the next day). I'd love to go back one day.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Park Rapids
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Well I was told one price on the phone and a other when I got there and once again a other when I went to leave. The guy and the counter just looked at me like I was stupid when I asked bout I did not have time to draw it out for him I was in town for knee surgery and had to get to that. So my family and I went down to the pool what was nice the kids liked it till my son could not get stared at the top with a tube so the life guard gave him a push and with the water he flipped back out of the tube and HIT HIS HEAD. So we all just had a nuff so we went back to our room and the hole room smelled like a camp all our stuff all my stuff for surgery in the morning because they were having a camp fire out side the window and the front desk told me he was sorry any inconvenience and let me go. speechless....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012
Plymouth, Minnesota
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Nice exterior, but rooms are terrible. We stayed here for a long weekend because we wanted our 8-year-old to have a waterpark she could play in during the wintertime. The hotel is very clean and nice looking. But after we checked into our room, we could hear every step the people in the room above us took, every word of there conversations, and worst of all could actually hear them peeing in the toilet! Yuck! Looks nice on the outside but construction was obviously done very cheap and without enough insulation. The waterpark was decent but there are much better places in the area, that have indoor swimming too. For the price you are going to pay, go somewhere where you can't hear someone in another room use the restroom!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed at The Lodge at Brainerd Lakes in early July, and we were pleasantly surprised at what a fantastic family hotel this is! We got a room with two queen beds separated by a bathroom. This was a perfect layout for our family of 4! The room was incredibly large and spacious. It was also very clean. This hotel was also a fantastic value. The stay included use of the water park as well as a fabulous breakfast in the morning. In addition we had the choice of some additional amenities like tokens for the arcade and beverage credits at the bar. All for the price of what would be a typical hotel rate at any other hotel! My only complaints would be that the sheets were pilled and that the hotel is a little loud - to be expected in a family hotel, but I'd consider bringing a fan of some sort to provide some ambient noise to drown out the patter of running feet in the hallways. Overall, I'd recommend this hotel for a family stay, and I'd stay there again myself.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor to avoid the noise of kids running in a room above you!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Mantorville, Minnesota
Reviewed June 28, 2012

First off, I want to preface that I work in the hospitality industry and so my expectations can be quite high. The Lodge at Brainerd Lakes has one of the most outstanding customer service teams I have encountered in recent travels. From the friendly and efficient check-in process, to the housekeeping staff that removed my bell cart, stopped vacuuming as I passed by and offered to assist with my luggage, I was thoroughly impressed. Yet, what really made an impression on me were the lifeguards in the water park. They addressed me as ma'am and repeatedly asked my husband if he needed assistance (he is recovering from knee surgery). After losing a diamond earring in the pool, one of the guards willingly volunteered to scour the pool in search of it!

On top of the service, the hotel is impeccably clean. And the breakfast buffet at $4.99 for adults and $1.99 for children is a welcome amenity.

Room Tip: If attending because of the water park, ask for a room at that end of the hotel. The water park is n...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area

Been to Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes? Share your experiences!