“Romantic night away”

Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Brainerd
“Romantic night away”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed here in a jacuzzi suite to get away for the night. Huge room that was very clean and comfortable. The pool area was very nice and very clean. Good breakfast in the morning and a very accommodating and friendly staff. we would definitely go back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VisitBrainerd
Katie W, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you will be back again soon!

The Crossings by GrandStay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Was in town to speak at a conference held at Maddens. They told me a week ahead of time (in early May) that they wanted $180/night. Forget it.

So I looked here, liked what I read about Crossings and gave it a try. $71 + taxes for a very nice room and good free breakfast. Forget staying at Maddens unless you like snobby people or really want to play their golf courses (did I mention that when I check with one of their courses at 6 PM for a twilight round of 9 holes, they said it was closed for maintenance?) Played at Craguns which was very nice to have me.
What does this have to do with Crossings? The person at the Crossings front desk saved me 15-20 minutes to get to Maddens for the presentation. Drive west on 210 to country rd 18, and then north. Much faster.
Back to Crossings...I liked this place a lot. All through the evening and up to 8 am, there were a total of 2 trains. I liked the train sounds, which lasted all of 30 seconds.
Did I mention the free breakfast? The very nice people at the front desk? The "glad you are here attitude". Forget Maddens unless you really want to play golf - and check carefully to see if you will save $ by staying here and playing at Maddens (or Craguns which is just as nice if not nicer, and knows how to be pleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Katie W, General Manager at Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I'm so glad you enjoyed your stay with us!
We hope to see you again soon!

Bloomington, Illinois, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was quite possibly my favorite hotel I've ever stayed at, especially for the price ($79/night)! It was cheaper than any other place in town and probably the nicest! The pool was HUGE and in a gorgeous, vaulted ceiling room with windows all around. The whole place had a cabin feel.

The King room blew us away. It had a vaulted ceiling, a kitchenette (with sink, coffee maker, fridge), a sofa with coffee table, a cute armchair, and a lovely fireplace! There were lots of mirrors throughout the huge room and the bed was SUPER comfy!

Other perks: the breakfast wasn't your typical cheapo free breakfast. It had eggs, sausage, waffles, fruit, etc. They also served Green Mountain Coffee (YUM). Another exciting find: they had Bath and Body Works in the rooms! Coconut Lime Verbana (MY FAVORITE SMELL) and Rain-Kissed Leaves.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
It sounds like you had a great stay with us! We recently updated all of the beds on property, so I'm thrilled to hear that you liked them. Thank you for taking the time to review our property!

Hope to see you again soon!

Duluth, MN
Reviewed May 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed at The Crossings by GrandStay in Baxter recently on an overnight trip to celebrate our wedding anniversary. We were not familiar with this small chain located primarily in the upper Midwest but decided to try it after seeing other TripAdvisor reviews and comparing prices with other options in the area.

For under $70 before tax on a weeknight, we couldn't believe the quantity and quality of the accommodations. Some places go for a lot of features for the money but look and feel cheap doing it; others try to look upscale and give the price to match. The Crossings had an upscale ambience, offered a spacious room, was very clean, and was loaded with amenities and charged just slightly more than the economy chains (and less than some). We chose a room with a queen sized bed and a balcony view. The bed was very comfortable and cozy, the room was furnished with a sofa, chairs, a desk, microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker, and more, and the room was well stocked with linens and soaps. While a little small, the bathroom had an easy-to-use shower and a multi-function shower head that my wife found delivered a deep massage when set to its most vigorous setting. Not long after, the aroma of breakfast from downstairs had wafted up to our room. The breakfast included two waffle makers (nice if you get there at a busy time of the morning), bacon, eggs, cereals, milk, juices, bagels, and more. There were even complimentary copies of the Minneapolis Star Tribune and the Brainerd newspaper to take in the lobby! While we did not use it, there is a pool and exercise area. Staying on a weeknight in spring, we avoided children...the other guests we saw were all middle-aged or older singles or adult couples.

There were only a few minor possibilities for improvement. A frequent Achilles' heel in motel rooms, the HVAC unit seemed to gradually increase the room's temperature overnight. We woke up during the night to the room being very warm--it seemed warmer than what we had it the evening before--and we turned it off. The balcony view was not exceptional, overlooking a patch of trees with a day care center adjacent to it, though as a railfan I appreciated being able to see the occasional train traffic (about one train every 2-3 hours) on the BNSF tracks across Highway 210. Nonetheless, it would make for a nice place to sit on a milder evening, though our stay came during an unusual cold snap for the time of year and we spent minimal time on it.

We would definitely stay at The Crossings the next time we're in the Brainerd-Baxter area and will consider this chain's properties if we're going someplace else they are located. The quality is unbeatable at this price point, and I've been places where I've paid a lot more and had a lot worse. As my wife said about The Crossings, "They are a real gem!"

Room Tip: Several of the reviews, including this one, make reference to passing train traffic along the tracks...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property. Every piece of feedback helps us to improve. The weather finally seems to be coming around, so hopefully the balconies will get used soon. Thanks again for taking the time to send us your feedback!

Hope to see you again soon!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband, 17 month old and I stayed here over Easter weekend 2013. We had reserved a King Suite--the website indicated that for King suites, you get to choose between a fireplace or a jacuzzi tub. My husband called to confirm our reservation and ask about the jacuzzi and we were told that for that room, it would be an additional $69 per night. We declined the extra charge. We did pay a good price, but the website was deceiving. We stayed for 4 nights and most nights we felt like we were the only people in the whole place.

The carpeting in the hallways is pretty shabby and very worn through in some spots. Front desk staff was friendly and recognized my son as we explored on two mornings. The breakfast area was very clean and the offerings were diverse. There was a hot waffle station, oatmeal, yogurt, cold cereal, bagels, muffins and toast as well as milk and juice. I noticed there was also hot scrambled eggs and bacon. We ate quickly on our last morning and were happy with what was offered.

Our room was a bit dated BUT smelled clean and seemed clean. We had daily maid service and when we realized the travel bed we brought for our son wasn't going to work, they had a pack n play for us to use, which was a godsend.

The pool and hot tub area are clean and well maintained but you will notice that the bottom of the pool and hot tub need refinishing. At first I thought they were dirty but then realized they just need refinishing. The kiddie pool was too cold for my 17 month old. He fussed as soon as I put him in it. The pool was a better temperature.

All in all I will say it is a good price, particularly for a family on a budget. Last year we stayed at one of the local water park hotels and paid twice the price we paid for this room. Of course we didn't get a water park but we didn't have time for it anyway. You will hear the trains coming through and if you aren't used to it, it might be slightly disruptive. We live near train tracks so for us it was business as usual.

Since the rework of highway 210, there is no good east bound connection to highway 210. You have to travel westbound for a bit in order to turn around and head east. One last thing--the mattress was sooo comfortable. It was a pillow top and we got a great night's sleep every night. I always travel with my own pillow so I can't comment on that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank msamuelson
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed February 24, 2013

The hotel is located on a frontage road on Highway 212 just a half mile west of Highway 371 in Baxter. It is very easy to find as it is near two main roads and it is also across the street from a large Home Depot. My wife and I stayed in a large room with a very comfortable King sized bed. The room was very large as there was a large sitting area next to the bed with a sofa. The hotel had a large pool with a sauna and a large hot tub. There was also a small, 1 foot deep pool for small children. Other family members also stayed here and used the hot tub and enjoyed it.

The front desk staff was ok but was not extremely friendly or helpful. The hotel served a free hot and cold continental breakfast that was OK. For hot food they served waffles, sausages, and scrambled eggs. The room rate was a little higher than I would have expected for the area but was not too high. I thought the hotel was OK and we had no issues with the staff or the room. My only minor complaint was that the Hotel was in a strange spot on a frontage road on busy street. To go east on the main road you had to go west for a couple of miles and then do a u-turn and go the other direction.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Saint Paul, Minnesota
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed at this location on 12/23/12 and it was VERY disappointing The carpeting was filthy.
To our surprise, they only have decaf coffee in the lobby with NONE available in the rooms.
The breakfast was average at best.
At checkout we weren't even asked how our experience was, jus process the payment and goodbye.
I travel to the Brainerd area on a regular basis but that will be the alst time I stay there.
Even calls to Grandstay
corp offices in St Cloud were never returned and I call 5 times !

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JOE E
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area? Share your experiences!