“Definitely a place to return to...”

Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge
Ranked #6 of 8 Hotels in Baxter
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Definitely a place to return to...”
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We recently stayed here over Labor Day weekend and we truly enjoyed our stay. We had booked our room online and everything made check in a breeze. We were located on the third floor and loved the location away from the rooms near the lobby.

Room was clean and spacious... Exactly what the room pictures looked like online. Sometimes the online pictures look nothing like the room itself which can cause disappointment - this was not the case.

Bed was comfortable, spacious couch and table area and loved the in room refrigerator. All parts of the hotel from lobby, breakfast area and hallways were extremely clean.

Really enjoyed the free breakfast in the morning with a variety of items. It is a little 'carb heavy' but overall there is something for everyone. Again, I really enjoyed the staff always refilling and cleaning this area.

Checkout was a breeze with a friendly front desk agent making the end of our stay end on a good note. If we return to the area.. We would definitely return!

Room Tip: If you are not an early riser, I would recommend a room away from the breakfast area as it may get a...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Katyjoy32
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Thank you sooooo much for the super review! " Room was clean" is the finest compliment a hotel can receive, we have a great housekeeping department that we are very proud of. I always show these to our staff and hearing compliments like "staff was friendly and all parts of the hotel were extremely clean" is something they take great pride in. I hope you can return soon, thank you for being our guest. Mark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Entire hotel is very clean from the front desk to the rooms. Entire staff was friendly and was always greeted by them. Our 3 kids loved the water park. Our kids ages are 4/6/8 and they were able to use all the slides and tubes. It was nice that you can sit in the middle of the 2 main water areas and see everyone.
Breakfast was far more then I was expecting. It had Belgium waffles do it yourself bar, ham, eggs and all the other cereal, rolls, bread, yogurt you could want.
We stayed 8/28/13 and would not hassistat to stay again, great staff and cleanliness really stands at this location

• Stayed August 2013
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Thank you very much for the nice comments. The point you brought up about being able to sit between the areas of the water park and see everything in both directions is one of the things we get many favorable comments on. It brings you close enough to watch the toddlers in the kiddies end and the older kids in the Lazy River and slide area. Many parents comment on how safe that makes them feel. Thank you also for the great breakfast comments. The appetizing aroma of the waffles you liked drive me crazy everyday. It's a wonder we all don't weigh 600 pounds here they are so hard to resist everyday. I hope you get a chance to return soon, thank you for being our guest.
Minnesota
Reviewed August 2, 2013

The wind was blowing, the snow was falling, but once inside, we were greeted with smiles at the front desk. Your senses are moved by sight and sound. When entering, you walk into a lodge style front room. There is music playing of nature sounds to give you the experience of the wild. Your sight is mesmerized by the flames of the fireplace, and the warmth makes you fell like grabbing a good book and have some quiet time. But this was not our intent(maybe another time).
Our plans were to spend time with some of our grandkids at the waterpark. The waterpark is free with the price of the room. The water park has something to offer young to old. They even provide life jackets for the younger kids. After spending 3 hours at the park, we went back to our room, ordered pizza, and kicked back for the evening. The rooms were ample size. We had two queen beds with a sitting area that had a sofa, chair and table
The breakfast was exceptional, ranging from hot items to cold items. Not your usual breakfast at motels. We had nothing but positive things to say about this motel. If we go back to Baxter, we will definitely stay there.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you for such an elegant response. I can see you do quite a bit of traveling and as I've said before, a great review from someone like you means alot. It might be a little soon to think about snow but there is definatly a serenity about winter that the fast pace of summer can't compare to. From other responses you can see I'm a fellow grandparent and watching the kids is one of the best parts of my job. It seems the water park is an adventure they never forget. Thank you for the great review and most of all thank you for being our guest. Please return soon. Mark
Hudson, Wisconsin
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Wasn't much to choose from in this area less than three weeks out from our arrival date so had to go with this property. Was a little skeptical as all the other motels in the area were essentially full for the weekend I wanted. Needed a couple of rooms for family including a 2 year old grandson. I didn't need to be concerned. The rooms were good sized, clean and felt fairly new. The attached water park had something for everyone and was perfect for our situation. Staff was pleasant. Breakfast was OK. Location was good with plenty of shopping and eating in close proximity. We were on the third floor and there was no problem with noise. I would do it again. Rates are up there but competitive for the time of year.

Room Tip: Third floor was a good choice for us.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Jeff, thank you so much for taking the time to do a review. As you said, this area can get very full thru the summer months so checking ahead and securing reservations is a good idea. I don't think a hotel can get a better compliment than friendly and clean, we're very proud of our housekeeping staff and I'm glad it shows. As a grandfather myself I'm sure you enjoyed watching your 2 year old in the water park. I think it's one of those memories that either of you will ever forget. Many times I get asked if younger children can enjoy the park and my answer is always the same-"You'll both have a ball". We have the big slides and outdoor hot tub for the bigger kids and adults but the kiddies end never gets tiring to watch. It's that look of pure exitement that brings a smile to everyone around. Thank you for being our guest, I hope you can return soon. Mark
Fargo, North Dakota
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My fiancée and I wanted a nice, overnight getaway with something to do, which this property definitely fulfills. We absolutely LOVED the indoor/outdoor hot tub! It's large enough to fit a lot of people and still be able to have a private conversation. The waterpark area is nicely sized for younger and older kids like. I do wish there were a calmer pool area for just swimming, but that's the point of this waterpark.

The tube slide was pretty fun, but the body slide was a little harsh. Then again, maybe I'm just too old for it now! The lazy river with the waterfalls was really fun. There's also a basketball area in the 'older' kids section.

The room was out of this world! I felt like I'd stepped into an old, comfy log cabin on the lake. I felt right at home. It was a suite, so we had a bit more space than normal, but everything was updated and modern. I felt like I was the first person to sleep in that room. I can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: Anything on the back side of the building, not facing the waterpark is quieter, though I didn't...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
First off-congratulations on your engagement! I was able to take a weeks vacation last week and to come back to a wonderfull review like yours was very exciting. I agree also that the slides do get going a little too fast for this old guy but the kids go up and down so many times it's incredable. The indoor/outdoor hot tub is one of our best features and it sure sounds like you agree. Thank you so much for staying with us and making my, and my staff's, Monday so much brighter. I hope you can return soon. Mark
The Woodlands, Texas, United States
Reviewed June 23, 2013

A lovely north woods atmosphere with a friendly staff. The rooms are decorated in a north woods fishing style. Our stay was quiet and restfull. The free breakfast was above standard. We pecan not wait to use this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
And we can't wait to have you back! Thank you so much for the wonderful review. We really do try to go the extra mile to treat you like a guest in our own homes, I'm so glad it shows. Thank you for being our guest.
Milaca, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel was fine. The waterpark was lots of fun for the kids. There are two large waterslides, one is open and ends in about a foot of water. The other was a large enclosed tube slide, and it was fun and fast. The indoor/outdoor hot tub was good, but there is such a heavy fountain spray on one side you loose about four seats. The outdoor part was very small and is in the parking lot, so it wasn't very relaxing. The staff was fine, they did accommodate our request with our last minute reservation to be near another family member. The only room available was the king whirlpool suite, and it was very spacious. They have/are trying to do the "northwoods theme", but it's kind of half hearted. I saw some random pine branches tied to things in the waterpark, and there was effort in the rooms, but it just felt generic. I think that's a good description for the whole hotel. Breakfast was okay, too crowded. The beds, though, were very uncomfortable for all of us--from us in the king size bed to the people in the room next to us with two queens. Very hard!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
RapidRiverLodge, Owner at Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
First I want say thank you for the nice comments about the waterpark, I'm happy to hear your children enjoyed the experience. I'm also happy to hear we were able to grant your last minute request to get your room near your friends. We set our standards very high so that every guest has a nice time and tells their friends to come give us a try. The outdoor hot tub is one of the features we get the most compliments because it's so relaxing to be warm as toast and comfortable even during the coldest Minnesota winter. The beds are brand new, top of the line Serta pillow tops that most people rave about but I'll be the first to admit they are on the firm side and don't have that super softness some people have at home. Average is definatly a term we don't like to hear, it may be ok at some places but we aim much higher. In fact we were just winners of a Trip Advisor Superior Property award which puts us in their top 10% customer service properties world wide. I sincerly hope we are able to please you better on a future stay. Thank you for being our guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Baxter
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Brainerd-Baxter
Arrowwood Lodge At Brainerd Lakes
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Baxter
Baymont Inn & Suites Baxter/Brainerd Area
Days Inn & Suites Baxter Brainerd Area
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
Cragun's Resort on Gull Lake
#2 of 3 in East Gull Lake

Been to Comfort Suites Rapid River Lodge? Share your experiences!